Author Topic: Physical movement during WROL & SHTF scenarios.  (Read 25677 times)

Offline WhiskeyJack

• Committed prepper
Physical movement during WROL & SHTF scenarios.
« on: September 14, 2011, 08:31:09 PM »
Physical movement during WROL & SHTF scenarios.

The following are some ideas for people to take into consideration if they were to ever find themselves in a time of Without Rule Of Law. These are basic concepts that are easily adapted to a training regimen. This topic is to assist the laymen in safe movement through dangerous areas in dangerous times.

First the size of your group should dictate your methods of movement. If you are moving solo you will obviously have the luxury of not worrying about the well being of others. However I think the old adage "safety in numbers" Is one of the truest statements ever spoken. That said, this post will concentrate on movement techniques for small team and large groups on foot. Please keep in mind when I say large group I am referring to groups consisting of people you and your team will be protecting. i.e. People who may not be able to defend themselves. I am writing this from a post collapse point of view. This is if you have no choice in the matter and you are forced to run.

Land Navigation
   It is imperative for any one who wishes to travel overland in any situation to have a basic knowledge of land-nav. I suggest obtaining a decent compass, and familiarizing ones self with at least three concepts.
Dead Reckoning
Terrain Association
Back Azimuth
Be advised whether you are right or left handed you will naturally drift to your strong side while walking.
It is important to stop and make regular compass checks. There are many more methods available for land-nav, but these three will get you started.

Maps
   You should have several maps and get them updated at least every two years. You should consider getting both road and terrain maps. I like to laminate mine.

The rule of three's
   This rule refers to having three preplanned options in place prior to any emergency. If you have a BOL to fall back to you should have three routes of travel to get there. If possible have cache points well hidden along the routes. If you do not have a BOL have an idea of where you will run to in the event of an evacuation. And have at least three routes out of your AO. This is for any size group

When traveling through rural and wilderness terrain you have a few options for safety and security.

Stop, Look and listen
   While walking a route it is important to stop from time to time to simply use your senses. Use your eyes ears and nose to identify potential threats. Its pretty easy and a larger group will probably need the rest.

Circle back
   This is ideal for small teams or even the lone individual.
You can leave your route of travel from time to time to circle back to the same route. this allows you to see if any one is following you. While on your route look for spots that pick up tracks easily. Such as loose soil low branches tall grasses. anything that can be easily disturbed by someone traveling along the route. Try not to disturb them yourself and after moving up the route farther you can then circle back and reexamine the pre identified area.

Rally points
   You should have pre planned rally points planned out on you route in the event the group or team becomes separated. i.e. If we are separated meet at west side of hill in this grid location. Rally points should be easy for your group to find. Plan out a time frame in which you will wait.

Point and Flanks
   Very important for larger groups. Having elements capable of responding to threats at roughly a half mile to the front, left and right that can provide warnings for your group( the distance of point and flank elements is not set in stone). This early warning can provide your group with enough time to adjust your route of travel and un-ass the area.  the engaged elements can lead off any threats or break contact. Good communication is necessary in this eventuality. You will have to decide whether you will send more support to the engaged elements or if they will be able to break contact on their own. It is important to have rally points designated in the event you are separated.

Rear security
   When moving in large groups Circling back is not really an effective way to see if any one is following you. You can however identify a defensible position and have a team remain behind for pre-determined amount of time, to monitor the trail behind you. I would suggest a good DM be apart of this team. A rear security team can identify, delay or eliminate threats that are shadowing your group.
(note) choose your position with care.

Potential threats and actions on contact.

Booby-traps
   Generally two types. Early warning and lethal. The early warning trap is designed to provide perimeter security for an occupying group. You in your travels may encounter such. Hear are a couple of types and some ideas as to how you can react to them.

Ground flares
   Usually triggered by trip wire or pressure plate. usually set for night time operations as they are less effective during daylight. that does not mean they aren't used in daylight, as many models are equipped with a whistler. If you encounter a ground flare it is important to immediately look away,(protect your night vision) and then as fast as possible run in the direction you have just come from. These flares are often used in ambushes and if you encounter on you are most likely surrounded on at least two sides and in the middle of a kill box. If the flare is not accompanied by an ambush you can be sure a spotter has identified you and the group that set the flare is sending armed people to investigate.

Arial flares
   Usually triggered by tripwire or pressure plate. Can be used effectively in day or night operations for early warning. Generally  placed around a perimeter for early warning and location finding. If encountered immediately look away from the flare and as fast as possible run in the direction you just came from. If the area is not noticeably occupied you can bet your ass it will be shortly.

Lethal traps
   As far as lethal traps go. Your best defense is detection and avoidance. This is really very hard. They are placed and hidden carefully by those wishing to do harm to potential intruders. One of the methods for locating a lethal trap is to know you are approaching an occupied AO. And begin and active scan for any such devises. This may not be possible for a team or group on the run. So unfortunately for us discovery of a lethal trap will most likely mean triggering it.

Actions upon discovering a trap of this nature. ( the medical types are going to hate this but I would like to say I was a EMT-B and I have had some actual training on this subject, I am modifying and simplifying for the laymen but the foundation is still the same. If you don't believe me go ask rangermedic for his thoughts on this section of the thread). immediately asses the wounded. If the wound is not life threatening, Remove your wounded and un-ass the area while you or your team provide bounding over-watch. You need to get your wounded to a better position for proper assessment and treatment. The trap, if it is a loud noisy affair will alert others to your presence. and you can expect company on the quick. Speed is key.
If the wound is of a more serious nature you will have to make a tuff decision. You can attempt to set security and stabilize your injured friend or you can scoop and scoot. This is where a collapsible or drag litter would pay off in your preps. I wont tell you what to do in this instance ,but I was always taught ?it doesn?t matter how hurt the individual is, if the damn cars on fire, fucking move them away from it?. A good medic can perform some basic assessments and stabilization on the move but its real tricky and you or they need to be really freaking good. I?m not going to BS hear folks, this thought scares me. As we know people will do almost anything to protect themselves and traps are indiscriminate. Without good treatment facilities medicine and surgeons.... Well a lethal trap is one of the last things you want to stumble across. I would rather try dancing with a cottonmouth.

Highways.
   The modern highway system was developed early during the cold war and signed off on by president Eisenhower. One of his main reasons for this move was to provide the general population, an escape route from major cities in the event of a nuclear war. The population and use of automobiles however has grown so far beyond the capabilities of the current highway system that these roadways will be grid locked and as people run out of fuel, or get blocked in they will abandon their vehicles and walk away.
Using the highway system as a route would not be safe for any group as a rout of travel. However they provide a great land mark and the potential for limited re-supply. Many vehicles loaded with peoples belongings could provide you with many things such as blankets, clothes, diapers, perhaps food. So while traveling on a highway could hinder your ability to move quickly, and expose you to ambush from predatory groups. Crossing them along your route could provide your group some much needed re-orientation, gear and supplies. The risk assessment is yours to make. I suggest recon and over-watch when approaching a high-way.

Well once again folks I would like to say this is by no means gospel. These are concepts that are simplified and adapted for laymen use. The principles of tactical movement are many and varied. and if you truly want to study them I suggest seeking professional instruction. Please remember that there are a great many more facets to this topic. But I hope this got you thinking of how to fit these concepts into your preps. As always I invite any and all to add to this information with whatever expertise you have, and thanks for reading.
Good whiskey, makes Jack Rabbit smack da bear.

Offline disposable

• Prepper Apprentice
Re: Physical movement during WROL & SHTF scenarios.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 09:07:17 PM »
awesome post!!!

Ghost

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 09:20:37 PM »
Whiskey you're on the verge of getting a six pack from me now. Lot of great posts from you [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co Keep it up mate.

Offline EJR914

• Hardcore Prepper
    • EJR914 Youtube Page
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 03:06:07 AM »
Awesome post!   [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co

Buck Naked

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 07:45:17 AM »
Booby trap!!!!! The most trouble I've ever gotten into as a kid involved making a booby trap.

Thanks for the post.

Swede229

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 08:11:57 PM »
that was an awesome post.. very good content,  i enjoyed the read.. nice to hear some of the real details compared to some of the Rambo mentality that you run into from time to time...   Very nice keep'em coming

Offline rah45

• Community Moderator
  • Live Free, or Die.
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 09:42:35 PM »
Very good post. Thanks, Whiskey!

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 09:48:25 AM »
Just got around to reading your post. It was a an awesome read! Thanks for taking the time to write and then post it.  [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline leadpersuasion

• Prepper
  • Don't Tread On Me!
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 01:29:02 PM »
Thanks very much Whiskey!  [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co
"Our cause is just; being with one mind resolved to die freemen rather than to live slaves." - Thomas Jefferson
"Training should be like a bloodless battle, so that battle is like bloody training." - TigerSwan

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 10:48:35 AM »
Whiskey you're on the verge of being able to put together a prepper's security bible.   :)

Thanks for the education.  It's nice having you around.

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

Offline WhiskeyJack

• Committed prepper
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 06:05:43 PM »
TY guys. Its nice to hear. Just remember this is very basic stuff and there more out there. Ill keep posting it in bitesized instalments. Im glad i can contribute tu a community that has already taught me more than i have put out there.  [url=http://www.freesmileys.or. MERICA!!!!!!!

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 07:01:21 PM »
Great stuff by the original poster. Couple of thoughts on flares, either ground or aerial ones. If a large animal (deer, coyote, etc...) sets off your flare(s), then you have a big, bright arrow pointing at your group, seen by anyone in the relative vicinity, especially an aerial flare. No need to call attention to your group unnecessarily by a mammal accidentally tripping the system, imo.

Offline WhiskeyJack

• Committed prepper
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 08:37:15 AM »
The flares scenarios covered hear are when you encounter them while moving through the landscape. Using flares for your community is a different ball of wax. I cover it a bit in the Nasty series which i need to finish part four. But if you are employing flares then you are in a group that is too large to hide your presence in the area, and you need early warning on your perimeter. And yes animals can set off your flares but its a small price to pay for early warning in a real threat situation.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 12:35:50 AM »
I really enjoyed reading your post. Since I'm a retired Traffic Engineer, I must clarify one statement. The Interstate system was created as Military Highways in order to move the Military quickly anywhere in the country. Nearly all of the Interstate System has a design speed of 100 MPH to facilitate rapid movement. As to civilian use, the Interstate system is provided to the public in times when there is no Military need. The number of interchange locations has been kept to as few as possible except when politics gets involved. When the Military needs the Interstate system, armed guards will be placed at each Interchange and the public will not be allowed use of the highway. You will also notice that it is EXTREMELY rare to see a drawbridge on the interstate system or see an uphill or downhill grade steeper than 7 %. 100% grade would be 90 degrees straight up or down.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 12:39:13 AM by pkveazey »

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 10:17:11 AM »
Never knew that pkveazey, thx for sharing.

So you folks who plan on using the Interstate highway system to get to your BOL, hopefully you have a route B & C planned out. And run it periodically. Maybe a cache or two is in order too.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Rogue-Metalsmith

• Prepper
  • Never stop learning
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2017, 03:25:05 AM »
Hey guys and gals.
 I am moving the previous chat from imtroduction group chat here.
Ok so here in SA we have an urban warfare issue amd scenario playout ehen dodge hits. Scenario offcourse.
Thank you jackalope. Fir the reply on my question about moving in groups. It fits in well with what whiskey discussed here for the US-of-A guys.

I have to say our terrain stretches over harsh environments but the hood thing is we actually dont have too far to travel
 About Less than 400km. From there we could skip borders as aswell. We have a few problems however. Between us and potential safety lays violant rural areas. About 9 i think. So our aim is having atleast 2 unimogs and then our two 4x4's Currently. So if we need to go over mountains we can actually do that. Yes you read right and yes we have gone up a mountain in our area with one of our mogs. Great fun. But in Get out of dodge this can be an edge when needing to get out of a traffic grid locked area. Sa is known for all roads to be in bad shape of some kind. Roads capacity long overshot and overloaded.
With this said we have been looking at maps for many years figuring out scenarios.
Oh and tested them when striking natives block off entire suburban areas. We got stuck in one instance at home for 3 days . Yes eventually cleared we won't comment on how.

I have to say. In most aspects i found advice and suggestions on scenarios very helpfull. As for booby traps... rough salt is nasty when shot.Deterring and effective.

:zombitron:
Sunny side up

RM

Offline Trail Ninja

• Novice Prepper
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2023, 08:59:24 AM »
Every once in a while, I stumble across a topic that grabs my attention and WhiskeyJack, your 'Physical Movement During WROL & SHTF Scenarios' did just that.

I think this is a good topic to renew.  If you don't currently live at your BOL, these tips would be wise to copy, paste and print for your BO-File; at least to review and incorporate into your plan.

pkveazey brings up a good point as well - don't integrate the Interstate system into you BOP.  If the ramps aren't closed, there will likely be accidents, choke points, and grid lock that would prevent any transportation. 

->I believe the best of plans include area maps. 
->Drive the routes and test for accuracy and potential choke points. 
->Something I have long planned for was carrying the tools to go off road, if possible.  Chainsaw, hand saw, bolt cutters, heavy duty wire snips, chain, tow straps, pulleys, shackles and an air compressor can help create your own path to get off the highway system, or blaze a new trail in the backcountry.  Rogue-Metalsmith, I don't know how well equipped you are, but it sounds like your team is prepared to go almost anywhere.  But off road recovery tools are a must.

Offline Felix

• Committed prepper
  • Hunter, grower, brewer, distiller.
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2023, 07:39:53 AM »
Moving a large (ish?) group in such an environment?    To be avoided at almost any cost.
Sheltering in place, "bugging in", making avoidance of becoming a group of "refugees" top priority.
But patrols?    Scouting for resources, roving overwatch of OA of your MAG's surroundings?   ...keeping an eye out for possible intruders?   Yes, a small group (3?).
Strong case for owning some NV, light and/or thermal.    "They" might have it too, but the odds are either "they" won't or at least the proposition is faced on a more equal footing.
He who travels alone travels fastest - combining the night with common hunting skills... for limited, judged vital and specific missions.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2023, 01:35:20 PM »
Looking at a EMP/Grid down scenario, the basic agreed upon time lapse between the event and you arriving at your BOL, needs to be three to five days.

The first day people are hunkered down and trying to figure out what is going on. The people who prepared are loading up what ever means of travel they have available* to them, and traveling on the road less then 12 hours post the event happening to their BOL. The prepared who have planned to shelter-in-place are organizing their group. The group is following a prepared plan** for such events. 

The second day, the smart ones are figuring out what is going on and already made it to the store to buy groceries and other supplies. The people who have prepared, if they have not already left their residence for their BOL, they do so this day.

The third day, people are getting desperate to buy food and supplies. Minor robbery and nastiness begins. The prepared folks are already at their BOL or closing in quickly. Urban highways become clogged with people or vehicles (If vehicles are working) and robbery is a real probability. 

The fourth day, the SHTF begins in earnest . Smart unprepared folks are now going to the stores with a armed group. Single families or small groups become targets of the less fortunate. Most prepared folks are at their BOL and starting to set up routines and man LP/OP sites. They are also monitoring radios for news and to keep track on any tardy folks.

The fifth day, it has moved from SHTF nastiness to TEOTWAWKI scenarios. All men for themselves. Movement from urban centers to BOL locations require a plan "B". Plan B is using rail road and powerline easements for movement by foot or bicycle.*** at night.

Depending on the time of year, the next window of opportunity for folks to leave urban centers is post the kill off of the unprepared, sick, and medically challenged folks. Probably in the three to six month period after the event. Obviously, traveling at night, staying off major roads, etc., will be a must.

A good friend of ours has planned for his family to go up the Delaware river in a boat to a preplanned landing just east of us if travel is impossible with a car. At which time he will contact me via HF radio and if I cannot go and get him and his family, he will work his way west about 20 miles to my redoubt using a preplanned travel route.

* = If petrol based vehicles are unavailable, going by foot is a challenge as you are only looking at 10 to 20 miles a day
         depending on size of group (family) and health. A bicycle would be optimal as you can travel 4 to 5 X's the distance
         vs. walking.

** = If you belong to a MAG group or even if it is just your family, take the time to brainstorm on differing scenarios. Have
         plans (A through C) ready for each scenario. You can always adjust as necessary.

*** = A Bicycle is a great option. Heck the Vietnamese in part beat the mighty USA thanks to the bicycle. A bicycle can be
          ridden at a far greater range than walking, used as a pack mule walking along side, pulling a cart, etc. They can also be
          used when roads become grid-locked. I know one couple that there plan was to bug out via petrol based car BUT bring
          along a bicycle for each of their family members.

Maybe this needs to be a new post. Thoughts?

I want to post here the differing levels of when to bug out vs. staying home. Are you folks interested? If So I will post what our family came up with.

:popcorn:

Offline grizz

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Lets Go Brandon
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2023, 01:54:54 PM »
I enjoy reading posts like this
.:: We SaluteOur Veterans ::.
[IMG]http://vpnavy01.c

Offline Trail Ninja

• Novice Prepper
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2023, 08:56:24 PM »
Along with "the differing levels of when to bug out vs. staying home" it would be very handy to have access to local and regional threats with details of the situation; if that makes sense.  Most of that info would prolly be classified, but if there's an uptick in crime or gang activity - I'd like to know.