Author Topic: Surplus Rifles & WROL/SHTF  (Read 4253 times)

Offline rah45

• Community Moderator
  • Live Free, or Die.
Re: Surplus Rifles & WROL/SHTF
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2011, 09:05:28 PM »
why would i want a $300 mosin when i can get a used rem 700 in 308 for $300????

all i'm tryin to say is you can do quite a bit better for just a hundred more than a mosin (sks)

I sure as hell wouldn't pass up the Rem 700, if both were good quality. I thought this topic was about "what if" you HAD to have milsurp? If you can get a good deal on a modern firearm, cool. What if your only firearm is the Mosin that your relative gave you, and you have just enough money to get a few hundred rounds of ammo? The latter is why I'm discussing this.

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2011, 09:31:10 PM »

all i'm tryin to say is you can do quite a bit better for just a hundred more than a mosin (sks)

I sure as hell wouldn't pass up the Rem 700, if both were good quality. I thought this topic was about "what if" you HAD to have milsurp? If you can get a good deal on a modern firearm, cool. What if your only firearm is the Mosin that your relative gave you, and you have just enough money to get a few hundred rounds of ammo? The latter is why I'm discussing this.

here's the quote from the OP:
today's rifles like the AK and the AR and the FN FAL are great rifles, expensive and sometimes inexpensive are major improvements from rifles used in WW1 and WW2 etc but that doesn't make them better. These old rifles are useful as any other rifle.

I think the context of the thread was to discuss considering the old milsurps as primaries. that being said, I'm arguing that modern semi-auto's are exponentially better for all practical purposes and no one should consider an antique rifle a viable primary unless they have no other option.
Rome is burning, and Obama is playing the fiddle - GAP

Offline rah45

• Community Moderator
  • Live Free, or Die.
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2011, 10:39:16 PM »
Ah...I was discussing based on context of situation. I didn't realize he was going for an "all-purpose" weapon.

Offline mountainredneck2051

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2011, 10:46:47 PM »

wtf does a free rifle have to do with this thread?

the thread was discussing buying milsurp rifles to arm yourself for shtf

and my argument was that buying milsurp rifles is a very poor choice for the money
Bursting bubbles since 2013

1000meterstare

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2011, 10:54:08 PM »
I've accurized my mosin and zeroed it with match-grade stuff.  It will serve the role it was meant to quite well.  It was not meant to repel 20 + zombies by a single shooter.  As part of an intregal team I think a mosin or a scoped deer rifle would do quite well.  If part of your team is equipped with the standard AR/AK the dude with the longer-ranged scoped bolt-action can actually "push the enemy back" as long as there is suppressive fire from your teammates.  A scoped high-powered rifle simply has a longer effective range.  I think a PSL would work just as well in a similar role... [url=http://www.freesmileys.or

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2011, 11:03:43 PM »
I've accurized my mosin and zeroed it with match-grade stuff.  It will serve the role it was meant to quite well.  It was not meant to repel 20 + zombies by a single shooter.  As part of an intregal team I think a mosin or a scoped deer rifle would do quite well.  If part of your team is equipped with the standard AR/AK the dude with the longer-ranged scoped bolt-action can actually "push the enemy back" as long as there is suppressive fire from your teammates.  A scoped high-powered rifle simply has a longer effective range.  I think a PSL would work just as well in a similar role...

DM's are a very effective tool if you have a support for them  [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co

Offline rah45

• Community Moderator
  • Live Free, or Die.
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2011, 11:41:58 PM »
wtf does a free rifle have to do with this thread?

the thread was discussing buying milsurp rifles to arm yourself for shtf

and my argument was that buying milsurp rifles is a very poor choice for the money

[img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at

The point wasn't that I think everyone gets a free Mosin. The point is that there are a lot of Mosins around, that can be bought for very little money (I've seen some for $70-80), and can serve someone well in its intended role. If you have $300, no I wouldn't spend on a Mosin if I thought I could get enough to purchase an AK or AR.

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2011, 11:47:38 PM »
my point is, if you got $100, wait another week or so and buy a freakin sks for another 50-100

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2011, 11:50:01 PM »
I've accurized my mosin and zeroed it with match-grade stuff.  It will serve the role it was meant to quite well.  It was not meant to repel 20 + zombies by a single shooter.  As part of an intregal team I think a mosin or a scoped deer rifle would do quite well.  If part of your team is equipped with the standard AR/AK the dude with the longer-ranged scoped bolt-action can actually "push the enemy back" as long as there is suppressive fire from your teammates.  A scoped high-powered rifle simply has a longer effective range.  I think a PSL would work just as well in a similar role...

this, I can certainly agree with. speaking of, I need to go to the next gun show and see about trading my Mosin for a better one. the crown is worn to shit and it struggles even at 100yds. (it would have been nice to know wtf i was looking for when I first bought it. lol)
Rome is burning, and Obama is playing the fiddle - GAP

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2011, 11:22:02 AM »

this, I can certainly agree with. speaking of, I need to go to the next gun show and see about trading my Mosin for a better one. the crown is worn to shit and it struggles even at 100yds. (it would have been nice to know wtf i was looking for when I first bought it. lol)
I'd check out Finnish Mosin Nagants, like the m39. They are pretty widely available and much better quality than the run-of-the-mill 91/30 refurbs that currently litter gun shows and shops.

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
  • I just want it to start already
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2011, 11:42:56 AM »
They are useful just out classed my technology.
Any station this is net, any station this is net. Monster One Alpha Radio check over.