Author Topic: PTR Firearm Break-in Procedure  (Read 262 times)

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
PTR Firearm Break-in Procedure
« on: June 30, 2022, 12:33:16 PM »
   I recently purchased a PTR firearm. Like any good owner of a new firearm, I read the manufacturer's operating manual.  I was a little surprised by the PTR break-in procedure, which I believe applies to all their firearms.  Basically, here's what it says:

"BREAK IN PROCEDURES:
I. Fire 10 single shots. After each shot, push a cotton patch wet with solvent through the bore. Then wet a bronze brush with solvent and stroke the barrel five to ten times. Follow with another wet patch and then enough dry patches to completely remove any solvents and/or wetness from the barrel.

II. Fire 10-20 shots, clean as above after each round of firing. Repeat step 2 until you have reached the suggested 200-300 rounds"

Well, the firearm comes with a lifetime warranty, so I'll be following their recommendations.  However, this seems excessive for a modern firearm.  I can't recall a similar procedure in any of my other firearms.  I suppose it'll give me the opportunity to become intimately familiar with the firearm.

And it's always nice to spend some time on the range.  I'll be celebrating July 4th weekend at the range with friends and neighbors...looking forward to it!

:gunner: :boltAction: :dancingBanana: :dancingBanana: :cheers:

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
Re: PTR Firearm Break-in Procedure
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 06:21:37 PM »
Holy left over from the past.  Modern barrels do not require this kind of break in period.

Chris

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 10:45:09 PM »
     That's what I thought too, Chris, thank you for confirming my belief.  Be that as it may, I spent a relaxing afternoon performing the break-in procedure.  I set up a sun shelter and took my time doing the procedure.  Thus far, no FTF's or FTE's, and the gun is running very smoothly.  I've got a cheap (under $35.00) optic coming tomorrow, which will be a temporary solution until I determine what I want to actually permanently install.  The gun is a clone of a H&K MP-5K, so it's very compact, and it feels lighter than a Ruger PC Charger 9mm pistol, or PAK-9 pistol.  Follow-up shots are very easy.  I was glad to be outdoors, as Hoppes solvent has an acquired scent.

Offline Deathstyle

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 03:36:46 AM »
Check out the Sig Sauer Romeo 7 or 7S models if you want a reliable AIMPOINT CompM copy for under $200  :thumbsUp:
"Blackouts are God's way of saying, 'Don't worry 'bout it".

Offline Deathstyle

• Hardcore Prepper

Offline Deathstyle

• Hardcore Prepper

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2022, 08:38:42 AM »
For a decent inexpensive optic I would stick with the Holosun line.  The Sig line is really just relabeled junk other than their high end line.  I have seen multiples of the Romeo7s fail to hold zero. I know the 9mm PTR will have almost no recoil but I would still not trust it.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2022, 09:50:11 AM »
Jackalope, may I suggest you also run an anti-copper solvent through your barrel similar to Sweets. It is kina-cool in that if the patch shows blue after pushing it through the barrel you need to do a bit more Break-in.

I always get a chuckle on the break-in procedure debate for a new barrel as there are so many different opinions out there on the subject.

Now my opinion, do what the manufacture recommends. If the manufacture does not include a break-in procedure then call them up and ask. MANY, many, moons ago, I did just that when I bought my first AR. Colt told me that their barrels do not need a break-in process. However, the gun smith I spoke to suggested cleaning the barrel between each shot for the first five rounds put down the tube or until any blue on the patch using the above mentioned solvent disappears from the patch. What ever  :facepalm:

I have done the Colt recommended break-in procedure on all new long guns I have purchased. I still have the original bottle of Sweets I bought back in 2008. By the way, the stuff smells AWFUL!

I have a review coming on my PTR GI 101 and I will cover break-in the review.  :thumbsUp:
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2022, 10:03:20 AM »
By the way, the stuff smells AWFUL!

Why do you think they call it Sweets?

Nemo   :thumbsUp:
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2022, 10:58:06 AM »
    Thank you everyone for the optic suggestions.  I actually have a Sig Romeo red dot optics on a couple of firearms.  I've found them to be okay.  I may indeed go with one of the Holosun solar models, because, hey I like solar!  :dance:  Actually, I'll probably go with an optic that has a recticle or a red dot within a circle, because my eyes are getting old, and the larger circle really helps me acquire targets quicker. I've got some Meprolight optics that have the circle, and they're awesome, but the optic itself is large.

Thanks, Johny, for the Sweet suggestion! :cheers:  The recommended PTR break-in procedure is essentially completed, so now comes more learning.  I'm going through a lot of ammo, but it is fun!   :P :fuckYeah: