Author Topic: NE Pennsylvania Snow Event Report 12/16 thru 12/17/2020  (Read 837 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
NE Pennsylvania Snow Event Report 12/16 thru 12/17/2020
« on: December 17, 2020, 12:50:57 PM »
Since I am one of the farthest north of all the folks on this written net, I thought I would share with you the most recent weather event.

Flurries started yesterday 12/16/2020 at around 1300 hrs EST (local) and snow event started in earnest around 1430 Hrs.

I am the County ARES Coordinator and took weather reports every 3-hours starting at 1500 hrs. I did not take weather reports at 0300 hrs 12/17/2020 although, I did hear two people try to contact me to make a report at that time. When they didn't hale me, they sent me emails with their reports. I just pulled the blankets over my head, rolled over and quickly drifted back to sleep.

The Township plow went down my township 2-track dirt road at about 2130 hrs 12/16/2020. They have not been back at the time of this writing. I will wait till they come through again before I fire up my prepositioned Kubota tractor and start clearing the snow.

Here are a few pics at about 0730 hrs. today. Notice the yellow 12-gauge extension cord running to the bunkhouse. We have had several days of little sun, so I had to give my 12-volt house batteries a boost. Also, notice my solar panel attached to the south side of the bunkhouse, has a bit of snow on it. 

Pic 1 through 3 attached at bottom of report.

Here is my AAR after the weather even. As you will notice there are some things I did well and some that I need to work on before the next event.

Positive
> Brought in 2-days worth of wood for our primary heat source.

> Positioned our vehicles close together to form a snow fence in-between them - Less snow to clear. I also positioned the vehicles, so they were only 4-feet from the 2-track dirt TWP road. Less to shovel after the plow gets through.

> Positioned the Kabota tractor so I just need to broom it off turn the key and plow my first parking spot within minutes.

> Charged up/topped off my ham radios batteries including my in shack marine deep cycle battery exclusively for my 2-meter and HF radios.

> Filled the chicken's food container and watering can for 2-day's in case I could not make it to the coup.

> Filled up the three 55-gallon water tanks in my basement from our well.
Adjusted my tuner (SWR) to handle snow covered dipole antennas.

> Other lessor items learned from the past.

Negative
>MrsMac noticed that the water from the faucet was not running normally. I checked all connections, and they were good. Then the 'light came on'. It has been cloudy here for about five days, so I went out to check my solar charged house bank of batteries. They were at 40%. I hooked up a trickle charger to the bank of batteries and ran a power cord from a 110 volt outside outlet to the battery charger. Within minutes, the amps started to grow. I need to add to my pre-prep storm 'punch list', "check the charge level of the house batteries".

> I typically buy four 25-pound bags of course sand or grit to have ready for a weather event like this. I kept putting it off. I only have about 10-pounds left over from last year. "Do not put off till tomorrow what you can do today."

> Although not needed this event, I only had enough high octane/non ethanol gas around to run the generator if needed for 8-hours. Didn't need it so okay BUT. I only use high octane, non ethanol gas in my gas-powered engines.

> At about 2000 hrs I went to make myself a egg nog with some Myers dark rum. I only had enough rum for one drink. DAMN! I quickly switched to Bourbon problem solved by a backup substitute, BUT. Lesson learned, Inventory the liquor cabinet before a severe weather event.

Although not a tornado or hurricane which folks south of the Mason Dixon line experience more often than we do north of that line, I thought it was worth sharing with you folks a similar weather event. I have also attached the SKYWARN weather reports for kicks and giggles I took every 3-hours.

Freedom Through Self-Reliance TM
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 01:05:13 PM by JohnyMac »
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
Re: NE Pennsylvania Snow Event Report 12/16 thru 12/17/2020
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 04:32:25 PM »
   It's cool to see that much snow, I don't miss it at all.  How's Dorothy like the snow?  I know our dog misses it, even if I don't.  Thanks for the report and the photos!

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 05:39:54 PM »
I watched the news, saw we were getting a dusting at worst and went to bed.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline Searchboss

• Novice Prepper
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2020, 10:47:33 AM »
Thanks for the great report JohnyMac. I have some friends in Taxachusetts, um that was Massachusetts. Anyway, one is on the western border and the other is on the cape. The cape only got about 4-6 inches, but the western border got covered with a couple of feet +. I hope they were prepared!

Keeping the inventories full is a constant struggle as things get used up. I think we all have that problem.

Fortunately we don't have the snow problem down here in Georgia. On the other hand, we do occasionally get hit by Hurricanes and/or other strong weather patterns. Stay Safe!

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2020, 05:04:37 PM »
Thank you Searchboss.

73 & God Bless
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.