Author Topic: 1911A1 45 Pistol and Variants Cleaning and Maintenance  (Read 5411 times)

Offline RONSERESURPLUS

• Senior Prepper
1911A1 45 Pistol and Variants Cleaning and Maintenance
« on: August 29, 2011, 04:34:46 PM »
1911A1 Cleaning and Maintenance of the pistol unit 1B

OK folks Unit 1 Discussed the Field strip of the Venerable 1911A1 Pistol and it's clones and copies, this unit will discuss the Cleaning and Maintenance of the gun in the field or after range time or normal carry and use?

What all do ya need to do this, I have shown most of it in Pic # 1 this is all easy to find at any Gunshow, Wal-or K-mart and or gun shop, none of what ya see is a heavy $ investment and will last a long time if you clean it after use. What the use of Stainless steel brushes while they do last longer than Brass, they can damage barrel internals as well as mark up finishes on weapons, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Pic # 1

How to do it! Once the Gun is Filed stripped (See Unit 1 Fieldstrip and maintenance of the 1911A1 pistol) you should have the parts laid out for cleaning, any Horzontal surface is workable, I used a Poncho when  I was deployed and lost no parts that way and it was easy to clean after

Use the Cleaning Brush and handle to Clean the Barrel I do Crown first see :

pic # 2

Then I reverse it and use a lot of Solvent to do the chamber end of the barrel see

Pic # 3

Then use a Tooth Brush or I like the Military weapons Brush with lots of Solvent to clean all surfaces of the barrel see

Pic # 4

Then place the Barrel off to the side after a light coat of oil is wiped on it and remove all excess oil.

Now lets start to clean the Lower area, see

Pic # 6

Pic # 7

As I stated you can use a tooth burch some folks use a barrel cleaning brush but I feel this kind of brush does a better job

It's Possible to clean the slide this way see pic

Then I use the same Brush soaked in solvent to brush out the magazine well see , I use a Cloth to remove the grit and dirt after the brush has removed the bulk stuff!

Then I use the Bore Brush and Cleaning Brush to do the same srub and clean job on the slide, remember get it soaked in solvent  and scrub all the dirt, fired powder and all out of all the surfaces inside the slide area see

Pic #9

Once you have completed these larger parts wipe them all off externally with a clean cloth and add a little oil and white the parts with your fingers all over then whipe  with the cloth to remove excess, you don't need to leave a ton of oil, but if storning it, a light film of it is OK?

Now lets scrub off, wipe off and Oil up the Small parts as in

Pic #11

Pic# 12

I like then to do more scrubbing and cleaning of the barrel assembly with care invested in the barrel locking notches as in

PIC# 14:

Once all that is complete, Whipe all the parts off with a cloth soaked in solvent, dry and lightly oil, and if you have time re-examin the parts and look for worn parts, cracked, dings and dangs, if any noted set those aside for
replacement from parts in Unit 2 or see a Gunsmith for other work required?

I did this in my Laundry room, Total elapsed time 12-15 minutes including strip time? Use Minumal Oil, and a lot of Solvent and rags! No Need for fancy  stuff here, use those old T-shirts and stuff you were gonna toss? Rember these with Solvent and Oil should be carefully disposed of as they are contaminated and can be flamable?

While these cleaning methods are used for 1911A1, they do carry over to Browning High power and other Semi-Auto handgun designs, no MAGIC HERE,  Hardly hard work INVESTED,  and not a lot of time invested, a good time to take a Closer look at the handgun your trusting your life to? Right?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 08:14:02 AM by RONSERESURPLUS »

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
Re: 1911A1 45 Pistol and Variants Take down and cleaning
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 04:38:14 PM »
good post Ron.. if you feel up to it, you should do a full strip and reassembly. when I first got my 1911 I got a little too ambitious and decided to take apart the whole mainspring housing and everything and i kicked myself in the ass for it for about 3 hours until I finally got it all back together *correctly* lol!

I was a pissed off mother fucker that day..
Rome is burning, and Obama is playing the fiddle - GAP

Offline Veritas

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 05:49:54 PM »
Great post, Ron.   :)

What are your guys thoughts as far as using grease instead of oil?    I recently starting using it on my AR, but haven't had a chance to shoot it since.
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but my Kalashnikov will hurt you.

"Don't wish ill for your enemy, plan it."

Offline Outonowhere

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 06:34:02 PM »
I have been using White Lithium grease on all my weapons and they love it. 
"A GREAT CONTRADICTION IS THE BELIEF IN STATES RIGHTS WHILE NOT SUPPORTING THE RIGHTS OF THE INDIVIDUAL."  - Me
Han shot first!

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
Re: 1911A1 45 Pistol and Variants Cleaning and Maintenance
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 11:37:18 PM »
I've been a huge fan of Ford-Lincoln-Mercury Moly Grease. Works good on my AR and 505ths Draco.

Offline RONSERESURPLUS

• Senior Prepper
Lubes
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 05:26:51 PM »
Hey all RON L here

Yes, I do so agree, while I'm of the Old school and use Oil, I do see many places where he Proper viscosity Grease works quite well rails on Carbines, slides on semi-auto Pistols and I've seen Moly greases used often with great sucess! Im not a huge fan of all in on?? I like to use a Bore Solvent, a Oil and a Grease not one that Pretends to be all to any?? LOL  I'm thinking thier are a few 1911A1's out there and many could use a referssor as so many used guns I'm shown for sale are Flat Filthy?? HA HA!

gunterm2009

Re: 1911A1 45 Pistol and Variants Cleaning and Maintenance
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 09:16:23 PM »
Just got my first 1911 im sure this thread will come in handy thanks