Author Topic: Just did my 3rd training day this week  (Read 599 times)

Offline Erick

• Committed prepper
Just did my 3rd training day this week
« on: July 16, 2017, 05:31:17 PM »
Just did my 3rd training day this week. at a buddies farm range.

Tuesday: 400 rds of .223/5.56 working Carbine a mix of some light updrills at 50m target with some more deliberate fire at 200m target.
Thursday: 450 rds working handguns, mostly at 10-15 yards
Today : 300 rds working Carbine... Started out good working my reloads from the rig etc.. but by the end when it had gotten so hot (and I was shooting in the sun) I wasn't doing real drills anymore but just plinking.
That was my sign to clean up my casings and go home.

All in all a bit of a "surge" week in training though :)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 05:33:27 PM by Erick »
Every day, men who will follow orders to kill you, exercise. Do you?

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
Re: Just did my 3rd training day this week
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 05:35:45 PM »
Just did my 3rd training day this week. at a buddies farm range.

Tuesday: 400 rds or .223/5.56 working Carbine a mix of some light updrills at 50m target with some more deliberate fire at 200m target.
Thursday: 450 rds working handguns, mostly at 10-15 yards
Today : 300 rds working Carbine... Started out good working my reloads from the rig etc.. but by the end when it had gotten so hot (and I was shooting in the sun) I wasn't doing real drills anymore but just plinking.
That was my sign to clean up my casings and go home.

All in all a bit of a "surge" week in training though :)
Good job. Sounds like you're putting in work.

Side note: Training is when you're being taught something new by someone other than yourself. Practice is building on that training. We cannot fix ourselves, for if we could we wouldn't be broken to begin with.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline Erick

• Committed prepper
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 06:18:23 PM »
Hmm.. perhaps.. it was practice then.  :dance:

Offline Erick

• Committed prepper
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 07:02:29 PM »
Illustration from another weekend where you had to leave your cover + transition from the prone to the kneeling in order to be able to engage the target.

These are some wrinkles that most professional Carbine training does not even attempt to cover as they tend to focus on running your gun on a flat square range
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:08:41 PM by Erick »

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 09:02:49 AM »
Erick, where have you been training of late?
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 10:33:26 PM »
Erick

Any practice you can get is a benefit. You are bringing in different elements that are good to work on.  If the carbine training you are getting is just on flat ranges, you are training with the wrong people. 

I wish I spent the weekend practicing, it would have done more for me than the USPSA match I shot.  4 good stages, then had an eh stage and shot like crap for the last 2 stages.  Then again around here it is tough to get any practice in other than flat range stuff. At least the match involves, speed, precision, movement and the stress of the clock.

Chris

Offline Erick

• Committed prepper
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 10:43:15 PM »
Erick, where have you been training of late?

This pic above here was on a private range that belongs to a retreat thats friendly with mine.
Its very well sorted.
I gave a small amount of input as well on its configuration and i believe it's now as good as you can get w/o a professional training center with managed lanes.
I also believe its better than what many professional Carbine classes offer which are often less demanding or realistic.
I can probably get you an invitation if you are willing to make the drive.

I also go to Green-Ops.
They are mainstream flat rangers but very good ones and i like 'em a lot...took 2 rifle classes and 2 handgun classes with them in last 5 months and I believe they are making me faster and more accurate.

I have trained/practiced on 8-9 occasions out of the last 12 weeks.

Still have a lot of room to grow though.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 11:05:10 PM by Erick »

Offline Erick

• Committed prepper
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 10:53:55 PM »
Erick

Any practice you can get is a benefit. You are bringing in different elements that are good to work on.  If the carbine training you are getting is just on flat ranges, you are training with the wrong people. 

We try to overcome the limitations of the range by configuring it in a way that forces shooters to cycle through different shooting situations/positions.
Just like in fire&movement you may go from erect to prone and then back to kneeling etc quickly

Luckily this range is not perfectly flat so for some shots you have to go from prone to kneeling to make them work.

Sometimes targets are 95% hidden via tall grass and you have to shoot thru the grass based on the visible edge upper outline only.

This is to simulate a enemy attempting to use concealment.

BTW the hole in the upper edge that doesnt look machined but shot thru was from my Wolf Military Classic 62 gr HP..against a mostly obscured target where you had to shoot thru grass. This target will be relegated to handgunning... as its doenst stand up to rifle fire... was a bit of an experiment.... .we will have to see