Author Topic: Intro, and "What are tactics?"  (Read 23720 times)

Offline Currahee

• Senior Prepper
  • "Stands Alone"
Intro, and "What are tactics?"
« on: April 06, 2012, 04:47:26 PM »
Hi and welcome to this new sub forum where we will discuss tactics.  For whatever reason (because I suggested it I think) I have been chosen to moderate it.  I have a good body of information on the web about tactics for the citizen, but I really want this to be original from that (though I will refer to it from time to time.)

First thing we need to understand is what tactics are. If you look it up in the dictionary you will get a long definition about the science of moving men in combat, but one of the several versions defines a tactic as ?a means to an end.?  On the military that might be a fixed objective of some sort, but to us this should mostly mean survival- because we are civilians and do not have military objectives.  When it comes to the necessity of armed conflict however, many of the tactics overlap.

Tactics are one of the three things we should concentrate on.  If you are familiar with these discussions you will have heard of the ?combat triad? of skills-mindset-tactics (originally written as (mindset-marksmanship-skills.)  Those are the three things that a prepared citizen should be concerned about.  Mindset is the mental preparedness to employ skills, and tactics are when and how we employ those skills? you have got to have all three in order to win.

I will start off this forum with discussions on tactical principles and individual tactics, then we will move to group tactics.  Naturally if you have anything you would like to post please do.  Participation makes me work harder.

More on the combat triad http://www.everycitizenasoldier.org/id19.html

« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 03:31:46 PM by Currahee »
Every citizen should be a soldier.  This was the case for the Greeks and Romans ans must be that of every free state. - T Jefferson

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
Re: Intro, and "What are tactics?"
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 05:02:19 PM »
I like pictures,

Currahee, you did more than suggest this Sub Forum. Having read though your webpage you have made it obvious to me that you are thinking about this from a different angle then most "tacticians." We need to keep it in the forefront that we are civilians and as such are lacking the support that makes military tactics what they are.

As example, while we maybe able to obtain total support from the civilian population within our area of operations (a great tactic) we will never be able to count on some of the niffy tools that standing armies take for granted.

This is going to make a fundamental difference in out tactcal approach.

I am really excited about this new Sub Forum and have asked the Moderators to move threads that fit into it unless you would like to start from the ground up and lead the discussion. Either way this is your Topic.

Offline Currahee

• Senior Prepper
  • "Stands Alone"
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 08:16:11 PM »
I copied this from Tire Iron and moded it a little, but this is the way I think of the combat triad now...

If one leg of the stool is weak then the whole thing fails.  "Gear" or "Equipment" would be the paint.  The stool can work no matter how cheap the paint is.  "Physical Fitness" is the ground it is sitting on, no matter how great the stool is... if you aren't fit your combat survivability is limited.

Speaking of which, I need to go run before dinner.
Every citizen should be a soldier.  This was the case for the Greeks and Romans ans must be that of every free state. - T Jefferson

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 09:21:36 PM »
Dumb but i had to ..lol

Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 09:22:24 PM »
On a serious note thats a pretty good analogy and i value the information thus far in this thread and look forward to more to come.  [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline Erick

• Committed prepper
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 10:05:09 PM »
Curahee we need more  :dance:
Every day, men who will follow orders to kill you, exercise. Do you?

Offline Currahee

• Senior Prepper
  • "Stands Alone"
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 12:24:47 AM »

gadget99

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 02:34:07 AM »
Cool stuff

As a side note.

My first unit in the Army was A Co. 1/506th Inf. 101st Abn at Ft. Campbell

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 05:50:09 AM »
    Gentlemen, a couple of points, if I may...    Please consider your audience, many of us here are north of 60 years, and though I'm not as old a dinosaur, I've been called one and feel like one on some mornings.  In hand with the age issue, is the consideration of offensive tactics versus defensive tactics.  Johny posted a link to an article by Mosby regarding using older folks as auxiliary, which is one use of people that can no longer run and gun. 

So....how do tactics apply to us that can still pull a trigger and are still capable of hiking 10-12 miles with a 50 lb. backpack, but can't run a 1/4 mile in 45 seconds?

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 09:34:14 AM »
Good point Jackalope.

One of the reasons I have focused on amateur radio is exactly for this reason. My perception is that there are few preppers and virtually no Ronin out there that are even remotely, focusing on comms. When folks will be out on patrol around their AO, is not the time to figure out that you can't communicate between the team and back to the TOC (Tactical Operations Center).

Moving on...I wonder how much you* and your team not only practice with your patrol kit and accompaning toys but practices with the other two B's of the 3-B focus - Gardening, medical, canning, et cetera comes immediately to mind.

I will use my brother as an excellent example. He has changed from a well rounded prepper to someone who just cares about shooting. His reasoning is that he has turned 'normalcy bias' on me. It started November 9, 2016 the day after Mr. Trump won the election.

Sorry for the mini rant folks. Jackalope got my juices flowing this snowy April morning.

* The 'royal' you not any specific person ;)
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Currahee

• Senior Prepper
  • "Stands Alone"
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 09:59:59 PM »
Cool stuff

As a side note.

My first unit in the Army was A Co. 1/506th Inf. 101st Abn at Ft. Campbell

Stands Alone

Offline Currahee

• Senior Prepper
  • "Stands Alone"
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 10:03:52 PM »
    Gentlemen, a couple of points, if I may...    Please consider your audience, many of us here are north of 60 years, and though I'm not as old a dinosaur, I've been called one and feel like one on some mornings.  In hand with the age issue, is the consideration of offensive tactics versus defensive tactics.  Johny posted a link to an article by Mosby regarding using older folks as auxiliary, which is one use of people that can no longer run and gun. 

So....how do tactics apply to us that can still pull a trigger and are still capable of hiking 10-12 miles with a 50 lb. backpack, but can't run a 1/4 mile in 45 seconds?

I'm well beyond prime infantry age myself, I simply suggest that everyone do what they can best.  As a rule, the stuff on cover and concealment aplies to everyone.  And, never forget Sam Whittemore!

As we age it is more important that we take other roles, educational, logitical, communications, intelligence etc.  I have an article on that as well.

http://everycitizenasoldier.org/old-soldiers.html

Offline Deathstyle

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 12:46:43 AM »
Agreed! Young patriots such as myself still need sugar daddies!!! :thumbsUp: #pvs14

:lmfao:
"Blackouts are God's way of saying, 'Don't worry 'bout it".

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 06:56:57 AM »
 :faint:

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 09:44:22 AM »
 :suicide:

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.