Author Topic: If you're looking for good buy on an AR-15: $349.99  (Read 839 times)

Offline RB in GA

• Committed prepper

Offline Deathstyle

• Hardcore Prepper
Re: If you're looking for good buy on an AR-15: $349.99
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2022, 01:14:36 AM »
https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/calibers/5-56-nato/5-56-rifles/556-nato-16-parkerized-m4-barrel-1-8-twist-15mlok-engraved-lower-new-handguard-flash-hider.html

I need a new AR like I need the proverbial hole in the head, but this is tempting.

Understand the sentiment whenever I buy a new pack or chest rig but then I remind myself that I'll need alot of ppl to help keep guard and they'll need this stuff. Same applies to rifles. Hopefully the sale drags on so I can snatch up something come payday.

Thanks for the link
"Blackouts are God's way of saying, 'Don't worry 'bout it".

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2022, 06:54:41 PM »
Thanks RB!  :cheers:
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2022, 10:34:31 PM »
Looks like it's out of stock :-(

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2022, 08:28:51 AM »
The market is flush with rifles right now. There are plenty of deals to be had.  Spend a lettle bit more and get yourself a decent rifle.  I have seen sooo many Bear Creek fairlures.  There is a much bettere pool of rifles to be had for $600 range.

Chris

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2022, 10:51:40 AM »
Or better yet, invest in a Steyr AUG ;) 8) :dancingGrenade:  Or a PTR 91/H&K 91. :gunner:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 10:53:25 AM by Jackalope »

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2022, 11:20:52 AM »
My next accusation I think, is going to be a AR 10 or FN 91 clone. Open to suggestions.

The 5.56 is an OK round however, after putting down plenty of deer, pigs and steer with it, the .308 seems to anchor critters. Where if you are off a hair with the 5.56, a second and sometimes a third round is needed. I am a one and done kind-a guy.   ;)
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2022, 12:07:16 PM »
I'm not sure what a FN 91 is, maybe you're referring to a FN FAL?  The H&K 91 is a 7.62 semi-auto battle rifle, derived from the H&K G3, full auto rifle.  The PTR 91 is a clone of the H&K 91.  I acquired mine back in the late 70's, and I hunted white-tail deer with it for many years, using a five round magazine.  It's an older design, but extremely reliable, and it is on the heavy side.  It's a weapon that can tolerate rough conditions, and it always goes boom when the booger hook activates the bang switch.  Due to the roller lock action, recoil is less of an issue than with other 7.62 rifles.  Magazines are relatively inexpensive too.  It's always interesting to fire the H&K 91 after firing an AR-15, as it's much louder, and just feels more authoritative.  In an Alamo situation, the K&K 91 is the weapon that I'd prefer to be using, as the 7.62 has significant stopping power, and I wouldn't be humping it.

The AR-10 has more accessories available, but the H&K 91/PTR 91 now has trigger, stock, and hand guard upgrades that weren't available back when I bought my firearm.  The AR-10 is a lighter weapon, and most folks are familiar with the action and how it functions.

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2022, 05:42:07 PM »
Johny

There are some good options available in a .308 (7.62x51) platform.  The AR10 is a definite option, just remember there are different patterns that are not all interchangeable like the AR15. The only ones Ive found to be truly reliable and durable are fairly expensive (KAC or LMT) with a few others that have been decent that are definitely not going to hit the pocketbook as bad (Springfield Saint, Armalite).  There are ton of people putting out AR Heavies now, most of which I wouldnt touch.

On the other than AR platform there is the HK91 pattern (PTR), FNFAL pattern (DSA), and the M1A.  All have some good features and some bad. I personally like the FAL for a battle rifle, or as some know it as the "Right Arm of the Free World".  My personal FAL is an FN that was used in Africa by the Portuguese. I bought it as a demilled kit and did the full reassembly myself.  For a factory gun the DSA's are nice. I also have a place in my heart for the M1A in its classic wood stock configuration but there are definite limitations with them.

Chris

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2022, 06:09:17 PM »
So Chris FN/Fal or DSA? Why?

I am not interested in hitting targets at 1,000 meters just a plain reliable semi in 7.62 x 51. Thoughts?

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2022, 07:35:21 PM »
Johny

Super reliable rifles that will eat anything you want to run through them. The are known to run even when filthy dirty including dirt and grime. They are hefty without being overly heavy.  Magazines are readily available and are not very expensive.  These are battle rifles, not precision rifles. DSA offers a pretty good selection of options from the classic full length rifles to carbines and folding stock Para models. I prefer the full length rifles for their muzzle velocity and the recoil system of the fixed stock variants. I would not want to carry these for high mobility operations, but for a security patrol or for defensive purposes where a harder hitting round is preferable they are great. 

You can also find used FALs at reasonable prices, mainly Imbel (Brazilian)varients. FN built are getting pretty expensive. You will also find Israeli models around and some people find them collectable.  Springfield imported some in the 80's that are called SA48s. If you are going older guns for use(not just collecting) avoid L1A1 (British) models.  They are inch pattern instead of metric and their parts are harder to find  and their magazines are not interchangeable and much more expensive. FN, Imbel, and Israeli and DSA are all metric.

Chris

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2022, 01:54:10 PM »
For you folks in the know, any thoughts on the PTR? I know about 10-years ago I was getting ready to buy one but the ability to shoot a wide range of 7.62x51 ammo was a problem the rifle had.

Rumor has it that PTR put our a "GI" version which was a bit more forgiving with a wider range of ammo.

I would want one with a factory installed optics rail and with minimal amount of altering for the mid rifle handle. Here is one I was looking at.

Anyway, don't be hesitant jumping in with thoughts.

Thanks  :cheers:

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2022, 02:30:33 PM »
    According to JCD the newer PTR's don't have an issue with ammo.  Magazines are very cheap from RTG, AIM surplus, etc.  Definitely purchase the buffer.  I've got a buffer on my HK 91, and it does a good job protecting the brass.  And yes, I do reload my old brass.  The HK platform is very reliable, proven platform, and currently in use by at least 79 country's militaries. If you run out of ammunition, the firearm could easily be used for beating someone to death, it's that rugged.  PTR's are manufactured in the U.S., and they carry a lifetime warranty.

As a side note, I've got a PTR MP-5K clone on layaway, should have it in a couple of months. https://ptr-us.com/product/9-kt-ptr-603/

Atlantic Firearms has the PTR-101 in stock: https://atlanticfirearms.com/ptr-gi-r-308-rifle-paddle-mag-release

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2022, 07:10:19 PM »
PTR solved the feeding issues a while ago.  There are a quality rifle.  The HK roller lock system is a proven system. As Jackalope pointed out mags are cheap from a number of different sources. You would not be going wrong with one.  If you can try shouldering the HK91 (PTR) , FAL (DSA), etc and see which you prefer. That is the best rifle for you.  You are looking at proven designed battle rifles. As was mentioned 79 countries used or used the HK91 and the FAL is second only to the AK for the number used around the world.

Chris

Offline Deathstyle

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2022, 09:15:57 PM »
I believe Brent0331 commented on one of his vids that during his travels in Africa he still saw a ton of HK91s versus FALs left over from the cold war being used by the local militaries. If so than that is a helluva SHTF endorsement.
"Blackouts are God's way of saying, 'Don't worry 'bout it".

Offline DMCakhunter

• Committed prepper
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2022, 10:42:27 PM »
The FN SCAR 17 is also a solid candidate for 7.62x51, .308. Folding stock is a nice option and light weight.
Only drawback I have found is that the barrel is light weight and POI is drastic if I use a suppressor.

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2022, 12:58:37 PM »
DMC , the SCAR 17 is nice but in a whole different pricing bracket with the likes of the KAC SR25 and LMT MWS. I would take either of those over the SCAR 17 for durability and Optic options.  The SCAR 17 is horrible on Optics. They are notorious for damaging all but the most bombproof optics.  Ask me how I know  :o.  The one thing they do have going for them is their light weight in comparison to well everything else.  If price was no object my preferred .308 battle rifle would be the LMT MWS w/16" barrel.

Chris

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2022, 08:17:39 PM »
Okay, now I am going to open a whole new can of worms....

16 vs. 18-inch barrels? Why?

Offline RB in GA

• Committed prepper
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2022, 09:38:19 PM »
simple answer: Longer range accuracy and higher velocity with longer barrels.

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2022, 10:04:46 PM »
Okay, now I am going to open a whole new can of worms....

16 vs. 18-inch barrels? Why?

In general as RB said longer barrel will give you higher muzzle velocities , resulting in better accuracy at longer distances. A rough rule of thumb is approx 25-40 fps per inch depending on caliber, with a bigger drop off the shorter you get. The reason I said a 16" barrel in the LMT is the intended purpose of the gun.  As a battle rifle to provide a heavier round within the rifleman's general area of responsibility (0-300yds) the 16" barrel does everything as well as the 18" variant. If i was going with a precision or DMR rifle I may consider the 18" barrel. That said with the .308 results change very little from 16" to 18" out to 600-800yds.  Beyond that I would be considering something other than .308 as the ballistics for it are not great beyond 800. I prefer 6.5CM for longer ranges(bolt gun).

Most of the legacy battle rifles will have an 18 or 20" barrel. The more modern designs are generally 18" at the long end.

Chris

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2022, 08:55:03 AM »
Thank you Chris and all that are playing.

I was chatting with Rocky yesterday over at PTR. Boy O' boy, he was very helpful and friendly to this 66-year old. They do not sell manufacture  to consumer however, he gave me some distributers of their rifles that my buddy with his FFL can go to.

Based just on the exchange with Rocky, I am leaning heavily with buying a PTR rifle.  :thumbsUp: 

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2022, 11:57:43 AM »
Good choice Johny!

Chris

Offline RB in GA

• Committed prepper
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2022, 05:25:23 PM »
Johnny, if you're going with the PTR (good gun BTW), commanderzero over at Notes from the Bunker has been having a few posts on modifying the mag releases on his- last post: http://www.commanderzero.com/

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2022, 10:22:29 PM »
Thx RB for the link.  :cheers: