Author Topic: How to Determine AR-15 Quality  (Read 625 times)

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
How to Determine AR-15 Quality
« on: August 10, 2018, 10:48:40 PM »
Here's an article that goes into detail regarding the quality of components for an AR-15: https://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/ar15-quality-money/   I don't agree with everything in the article.  I believe that it is possible to build a decent AR yourself, if you take the time to do the job correctly, and put in the necessary research.  :gunner:

Offline grizz

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Lets Go Brandon
Re: How to Determine AR-15 Quality
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 02:12:26 PM »
I like pistons over the DI systems and the the IWI X95 over the AR any day of the week
.:: We SaluteOur Veterans ::.
[IMG]http://vpnavy01.c

Offline Erick

• Committed prepper
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 04:33:46 PM »
I agree w/ all but 2 of the authors points:
Heavy buffer
M16 BCG.

Since it all depends on the rest of the tune of the rifle.

Heavy Buffer and M16 BCG are good IF everything else is tuned 100% to milspec AND you are running a Carbine gas (like in an M4) but with a 16 inch non NFA barrel ( the most common civilian lenght)  ....around the 2010s it was a legit improvement when so many civilian ARs were configured w/ carbine gas and 16 inch barrel to add a heavy Buffer and a M16 BCG.

But the advent of mid lenght gas ( which is the proper lenght for a 16 inch barrel) alleviated the need for these littles tricks to restore proper tuning.

In any event.. fully assembled AR15s nearly always come in good tune from the manufacturer these days..
Even entry level brands like Delton are as good or better ,as name brand ones were 30 years ago.
For just a little extra mid rangers like Stag and RRA offer a myriad of available configurations... And if you have an itch for something "cool" even boutique guns like BCM, POF LWRC etc are less than they ever were.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 04:41:49 PM by Erick »
Every day, men who will follow orders to kill you, exercise. Do you?

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 10:55:26 PM »
The author does a fairly decent job of giving an overall rundown for someone that is looking to get into an AR. There is really much more than most will every get into.  The size of the gas port has as much to do with the ideal buffer weights and BCG as the length of the gas system. Most of the economy models and entry ARs tend to be extremely overgassed. This allows them to function (though maybe not ideally) with just about any crap ammo someone will throw through them. This along with overall quality of the parts also leads them to be more prone to breakdown when run hard.

Mil-spec as a standard should be the minimum quality acceptance level. It is not hard to purchase/assemble a quality rifle well in excess of mil-spec quality.  For example accuracy for true mil-spec barrels is really not that great...you need to know which mil-spec you are meeting.

As an aside the final AR derivative that Eugene Stoner worked on and his idealized design is the SR15 by KAC.  He determined the ideal gas system for the 16" rifle to be a proprietary intermediate length gas system (a bit longer than mid length but shorter than rifle) and it uses a Full Auto(M16) BCG with an H buffer as the standard.  The KAC SR15 is considered one of the best, softest running most reliable ARs available.

He is somewhat correct about assembling ARs.  I cant tell you how many rifles I fix from people who "can assemble a rifle as good as a DD, BCM, PWS for $6-700".  Understanding how the components work together is important when deciding what to use....not just what is on sale. If you start with and use quality parts you are more likely to have a god result.  Generally with boutique brands like Radian, Modern Outfitters, Noveske, Triarc, you get a very reliable gun with excellent fit and finish made from parts that are generally much better than mil-spec. Sometimes a manufacturer will get too cool for itself and build the "the best rifle ever!!!" and they will look great.....and run like crap (see Era3 and Salient).  To an end user the major difference between a quality production gun (Colt, BCM, DD) and a higher end gun (KAC, Veske, PWS) is not going to be in reliability it is going to be in the inherent accuracy of the gun and long term durability. It is up to the owner if the price tag for that is worth it.  One good thing is that even the prices on these guns are coming down somewhat in this soft market.

I have personally owned and or built over 30 different ARs.  I work as a gunsmith assembling, repairing or "fixing" them daily.  I have been to Colt and KAC armorers school.  The heart of the rifle is the barrel and bolt. These are the most important items to put the money into . As Jackalope says you can build a decent, hell even a very good rifle, just make sure to take the time to do it right.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 11:05:15 PM by CJS06 »