Author Topic: HK USP Compact .40  (Read 1474 times)

CrystalHunter1989

HK USP Compact .40
« on: December 04, 2011, 04:28:15 PM »
I just got back from testing a gun that's been offered to me. It's an HK USP Compact in .40 S&W. I put almost 100 rounds through it, but also got to shoot some other variants he brought.

The weapon fits nicely in my hand, and is practically the same size as my Taurus Millennium PT111. I adapted to the trigger pull and, to my surprise, grew quite fond of the magazine release. The only problem I encountered was rapid fire, during which I felt the etching on the grip wasn't strong enough. I had to make an conscious effort to keep a tight hold on it so the recoil wouldn't throw it off balance. I think some hogue would rectify this.

So after that I shot the full-sized .45 USP he brought along and noticed a world of difference. The recoil was gentler and the weapon just seemed to "click" better with me. If I had to choose, I would have bought this one, despite its size. Sadly, it's not for sale.

I'm being offered the .40 Compact along with the box, three mags and a Fobus holster. I tried the holster out and discovered that it works flawlessly, requiring very little effort to draw from concealment. The current price is $680 (might be able to talk him down), but I told him that I won't be able to think about buying until after Christmas. If someone else comes along and gets it, that'll be fine.

I suppose this is more of a review than a post asking for advice.

What do you all think of the USP series?

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
Re: HK USP Compact .40
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 04:37:11 PM »
I only have experience with the full size .45ACP model. I was pretty impressed with it but one thing that surprised me a bit is that the plastic frame felt more flimsy and "hollow" (if that makes any sense) than I expected. but if that doesn't effect performance then I'd say it's a pretty sweet little series of guns. I don't have a whole hell of alot of trigger time on it but my initial impressions were positive.

on a side note, (not trying to hijack the thread) is it just me or do many of the plastic framed pistols feel flimsier than you'd expect? after hearing people rant and rave about the M&P series I went and checked one out at the gunshop and I remember feeling like I was holding a toy. the USP wasn't quite as bad but I had a similar feeling with it as well. I don't know if Glock uses a different kind of plastic or whatever but I don't get that feeling from my G22. feels much more solid and hefty.
Rome is burning, and Obama is playing the fiddle - GAP

CrystalHunter1989

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 04:47:31 PM »
I only have experience with the full size .45ACP model. I was pretty impressed with it but one thing that surprised me a bit is that the plastic frame felt more flimsy and "hollow" (if that makes any sense) than I expected. but if that doesn't effect performance then I'd say it's a pretty sweet little series of guns. I don't have a whole hell of alot of trigger time on it but my initial impressions were positive.

on a side note, (not trying to hijack the thread) is it just me or do many of the plastic framed pistols feel flimsier than you'd expect? after hearing people rant and rave about the M&P series I went and checked one out at the gunshop and I remember feeling like I was holding a toy. the USP wasn't quite as bad but I had a similar feeling with it as well. I don't know if Glock uses a different kind of plastic or whatever but I don't get that feeling from my G22. feels much more solid and hefty.

I got the exact impression about the polymer grip. Glock feels stouter than some of the others I've handled, but I thought "Wow, this is much lighter that I expected." Nevertheless, the balance and accuracy was good. I just wish I had been able to shoot a full-sized .40 for comparison.

I'm consider the USP because I want to treat myself to something higher-end than I'm used to buying.

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 04:58:21 PM »
go for it bro! it seems like a great gun and despite some people's gripes about HK, they do maintain a pretty good overall reputation.

guns and tools are about the only things that I"ll spend the extra cash and go for reputable name brands (other than that I'm a thrift store kinda guy). I could have a much larger gun collection if I just went for quantity over quality but I think guns are something worth spending top dollar on. especially if the intended purpose of said gun(s) is for personal protection.

I don't think you'll be disappointed by a USP if you do decide to pick one up. I hope you're able to talk your buddy's price down and get a good deal.
Rome is burning, and Obama is playing the fiddle - GAP

CrystalHunter1989

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 05:04:15 PM »
go for it bro! it seems like a great gun and despite some people's gripes about HK, they do maintain a pretty good overall reputation.

guns and tools are about the only things that I"ll spend the extra cash and go for reputable name brands (other than that I'm a thrift store kinda guy). I could have a much larger gun collection if I just went for quantity over quality but I think guns are something worth spending top dollar on. especially if the intended purpose of said gun(s) is for personal protection.

I don't think you'll be disappointed by a USP if you do decide to pick one up. I hope you're able to talk your buddy's price down and get a good deal.

We'll see what happens after Christmas. It's been available for awhile and no one's made a bid for it, so maybe I'll get lucky!  Thanks for the comments.

Offline Veritas

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 11:58:49 PM »
A family member of mine has one of those.  Great choice for a pistol.  The only downside I found is that the magazine release takes some getting used to.  Other than that, no complaints at all. 

$680 isn't really that great of a deal for a used one, though.....

Here's one with two mags, night sights, and is brand new for $699

http://www.topgunsupply.com/h-k-usp-compact-.40s-w-lem-night-sights.html

You'll have to pay $18 shipping and FFL transfer fee on your end, but it's still a better deal with the night sights and it being brand new.

Here's a video I wish I saw before I wasted money on a Fobus holster.

Why you don't use a kydex paddle holster (The video's owner prevents external embedding)

Either way bro, I hope it works out for you.
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but my Kalashnikov will hurt you.

"Don't wish ill for your enemy, plan it."

CrystalHunter1989

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 12:08:09 AM »

Actually, the gun has only about 150 rounds through it, including what we shot today. It's in what I like to call "barely used" condition.

CrystalHunter1989

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 12:08:56 AM »

Actually, I grew quite fond of the magazine release by the end of the day. The gun has only about 150 rounds through it, including what we shot today. It's in what I like to call "barely used" condition.