General Category > Security & Survival

Drones for security augmentation

(1/9) > >>

TacticalHippy:
Anyone using drones for recon or site security?

We were considering obtaining a drone to circumvent line of site and camera dead zones.

In our primary use case it would be launched above our location 100 feet up to hover and provide 360* live streaming.  Range and battery life are limited with the smaller quiet drones but would work in this case.  Also recon of an area prior to moving forward, as a scouting enhancement.

JohnyMac:
Thx TacticalHippy for bringing this subject up. We haven't discussed it in years.

I too have been thinking of purchasing a drone but do not know what to buy. I am kind of a "one and done" kind of guy and would hate to end up buying something I will just have to replace.

I am looking for a drone that has a 2-mile range complete with live streaming camera.

Lets get the subject going.  :popcorn:

Jackalope:
    Yup, we've got a couple of them.  I consider them to be a force multiplier.  As you mentioned, short battery life is an issue.  It does take practice, they're not something you can just pull out of the box and fly with any precise skill, and it takes time to acquire the skill.  They are weather dependent, you can't operate them in strong winds.  A tethered balloon with a camera might make more sense in certain scenarios.  Wireless solar powered cameras can be helpful too.  Depending upon the altitude, a drone can be easily taken out with a shotgun, so they're very vulnerable.  There are devices which can detect drones in your vicinity using their audio signature.  The devices can actually distinguish between a drone and a weedeater, for example.  Here's an older article about them:  https://www.cnx-software.com/2013/05/02/droneshield-raspberry-pi-powered-drone-detector/  I can confirm that they do indeed work.

A camera mounted on a small RC ground vehicle is another alternative.  The battery life  of a ground vehicle is typically a little better than an aerial drone.  Plus, it could be used as a delivery system too, limited only by your imagination.

bennington.camper:
A number of content creators I follow use the DJI Mavic as a very compact and portable drone.

Jackalope:
    The DJI drones, in general, perform very well.  DJI prices have dropped significantly, probably because there is so much competition from other vendors.  My drones are AR Parrot drones, which were purchased before DJI was in the market.  If I was going to purchase a new one today, I'd probably go with a DJI.  Even Best Buy is selling them in their retail stores.  Geez, I think even Walmarts carries them now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version