Author Topic: Brushbeater Field Radio Class - Review  (Read 563 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Brushbeater Field Radio Class - Review
« on: March 05, 2018, 02:32:09 PM »
What:
This AAR (After Action Review) is to briefly outline my attendance of a RTO (Radio Telephone Operator) two-day class facilitated by NCScout blog owner of Brushbeater.

Who: Facilitator NCScout and ten students. The Students amateur radio skills ranged from Technicians to Extra class level. Military skills of the students ranged from current military operators, Reservists, retired, and several with no military experience - Like me.

When: Saturday March 3-4, 2018. Classes started at 0900 hrs. Saturday the class ended for the day at 1900 hrs. and Sunday at 1400 hrs.

Where: North Central North Carolina

Comments:
The class started at 0900 hrs. Saturday morning after a hearty breakfast put on by NCScout’s family. 

The items initially covered were SOI’s (Signal Operation Instructions), P.A.C.E. and the use of specific report formats used in the field. Upon running through these reports, we broke out and moved into the bush to practice, using VHF (Very Hight Frequency) HT’s (Handy Talkies). 

Lunch was served upon return.

Then each member of the class but one, built a ¼ ƛ 2-meter (146.000 Mhz) portable antenna and one student built a slanting, directional, 2-meter antenna. Once this was done we went into the field to tryout our home brew creations.

Once that was accomplished we returned to the class room and proceeded to learn about NVIS (Near Vertical Incidence Skywave) antennas and their practical use for every day and/or war time communication.

Upon learning about NVIS antennas we built one as a class, took it outside and proceeded to put it up for trails. 

Dinner was provided by NCScout’s family (North Carolina Barbeque – Yum) and the evening training began.

That evening, discussions ranged from the USA today, what is coming down the pike, and other philosophical discussions along with practical solutions on gun fighting. All from men who are and have been there. Along with these great discussions, beer, wine, bourbon, and scotch tastings were taking place.

Sunday morning was started with a heartfelt prayer for the safety of our collective family’s, the troops in harm’s way and our long drives home. Followed by another fantastic breakfast provide by NCScout’s family. 

At the end of breakfast, we broke into two groups. One group operated as a reconnaissance patrol and one group stayed at the TOC (Tactical Operations Center) behind the wire. I was part of the first reconnaissance patrol.

We moved off in patrol formation to about 1 Kilometer from the TOC, to look for people who had reportedly infiltrated our AO. Hoisted one of our home brew 2-meter antennas we had built the previous day, got into security positions of our OP/LP (Observation Post/Listening Post) and sent a report back to the TOC letting them know of our location and status. 

After a few minutes a single camouflaged person was seen walking about 70 meters in front of our position. After seeing this person, we wrote up a short report of our encounter which included description of the individual, uniform, weaponry if any, their location in reference to our OP/LP, number of individuals, et cetera.  Once this was accomplished we sent the report back to the TOC via a HT connected to our antenna.

Once accomplished we then wrote and sent back another report letting the TOC know we were returning to base and how we would approach complete with visual recognition and passwords. 

Once ‘back behind the wire’ we reversed rolls with group two and we became the TOC while group two went out onto patrol. 

Post this exercise we regrouped had lunch and then did a AAR. By 1430 hrs. most of us were motoring ourselves home.     

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly in no particular order:   
➢ I highly recommend this class to folks who are preparing for a SHTF situation. Most of the students were current or retired military who appreciated the class as a refresher too. If you are busy preparing just for a gun battle and not Comms, you and your group will die. 
➢ There is a RTO 201 class being put together as I type. So get RTO 101 done and under your belt.
➢ The food and hospitality were astounding. NCScouts father did 90% of the cooking and his skill in cooking for a large group was awesome - True North Carolina hospitality.
➢ This was the weekend that the Nor’easter roared up the coast. Although the days were sunny it blew a steady 12-mph with a lot of gusts in the 20-mph range. This made the 45-50-degree midday temperatures seam a lot colder. At night it got down to below 32 degrees. 
➢ There was a house at the facility to crash in, however most attendees set up tents and slept outside. 
➢ The classes flowed well especially with the planned segments that got us out of the class room to try out what we made, send in different reports, and patrolling. 
➢ The members of the class blended well by lunch of Saturday. The ‘after dinner discussions’ certainly cemented the group. In my opinion, what I learned from my fellow classmates was just as valuable as what we learned during the day in the classroom. 
➢ Although this was not an amateur radio class and you  did not have to have a license to attend, in my opinion , attendees should at least have a Technicians Class License. Having this license or higher really enhances what you learn in the class.
➢ During the AAR Sunday afternoon, NCScout truly wanted enhancements from the class on how to make the class even better for the next batch of students and to solidify the RTO 201 curriculum.   
➢ About NCScout: He is a soft spoken natural trainer. He is quick to not correct but instead make suggestions. Most important he explains the ‘why’ you do something X way. If you have attended similar military style training and are use to being screamed at, and like that kind of autocratic training, you will be sorely disappointed. You are treated as what you are - An intelligent adult.
➢ One of my suggestions is if your whole group can't get away to take the class it is taught in a way that you could easily take it, go home, and then teach it to your group.   
➢ In closing, I am going to reiterate this thought again. If you or your group is spending all your time and money on fire power with little thoughts to Comms, your group will die in a SHTF scenario. If you recognize this hole exists in your plans, contact NCScout TODAY to find out when his next RTO, 101 class is scheduled and sign up!   

God Bless & 73, 
JohnyMac
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 09:53:08 AM by JohnyMac »
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
Re: Brushbeater Field Radio Class - Review
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 05:35:32 PM »
Thank you Johny for the in-depth report.  I'll have to see his course schedule, maybe I can fit in during one of trips down south.

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 07:51:53 PM »
Johny

Thank You for the very in depth and informative AAR. I am very interested in the RTO1 class.  I have started to ready and study for my Techincian license.

Chris

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 09:39:02 PM »
You rock CJS! If you need any help drop me a line.

On another note: How did you fare in the latest Nor'easter? Bruce told me that Riverside Drive got flooded out.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 03:00:55 PM »
Anybody north of my AO who would like to drive down to the class, you are more than welcome to use my house as a stop over place going south. I will cook and supply the meals you supply the cheery mood.  :cheers:

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 03:37:13 PM »
What city is near the NCNC part?

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 04:28:15 PM »
Sorry Nemo. Due to PERSEC of NCScout I will not post that info. Please no offense intended.

Anybody wishing to contact NCScout to find out about any of his classes go to his site. If you are interested in taking any of his classes, then contact him via his site.

For his site, click on the spot provided in the initial review.

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 08:39:43 PM »
You rock CJS! If you need any help drop me a line.

On another note: How did you fare in the latest Nor'easter? Bruce told me that Riverside Drive got flooded out.

I lost some trees so I got some quality time with the chainsaw. I was lucky however in that we lost power just long enough for me to go out and about to start the generator....and it came back on.  Maybe about 15 mins.  Significant parts of the area only got power back earlier today.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 09:14:53 PM »
Thx for the update CJS06.  :thumbsUp: