General Category > Security & Survival

Big Ammo review of commercial Ammo for commercial AR15s

<< < (4/4)

CJS06:
I have been shooting more longer distance 5.56mm lately.  I prefer to shoot either Black Hills 77gr OTM, 77gr TMK, or Hornady 73gr ELD. Unfortunately all of these can definitely put a strain on the wallet.  I recently have tried out Magtech 77gr SMK.  I have been pleasantly surprised by this ammo.  Velocities are on par with the Black Hills and the Sierra Match King bullets have provided excellent results. 

These can be found for .55 to .60 per round or approx half the price of the equivalent Black Hills. I was able to get an order of 10k rounds earlier this fall that got the price down to .50 per round.  I am about to reorder as I have burned through all but 1500 rounds.

This is not nearly the .26-.30 per round (or less for steel case) that is everywhere for 55gr or 62gr but if you prefer the heavier grain bullets it is worth checking out. 

If you are shooting heavier bullets from the AR platform make sure you are shooting 5.56 not .223.  There is a significant difference in performance between the two.

Chris

JohnyMac:
Of late I have been shooting 77 gr IMI Razor core ammo. Midway just had a sale that got it down around 45ยข around. Quite a bit better knockdown power then the old 55 gr stuff I have.

Fun to do: Shoot a steel gong at lets say 100 meters with the 55 gr then the 77 gr - WOW big difference. 

Erick:
Update:
-69 gr PPU Match; Was able to ring the 600 yard target with my DMR AR ( 20 inch barrel no chrome, DI gun) routinely this week. So it did perform as a true match. At 600 yards of course you are reaching the absolute limit of the caliber.

- PPU 55gr Brass, Wolf Gold 55gr (Brass) and Wolf Military Classic (62 Gr Steel) all did real fine also for accuracy (but not at the level of the 69 gr PPU match)

CJS06:

--- Quote from: Erick on August 18, 2019, 01:37:11 PM ---Update:
-69 gr PPU Match; Was able to ring the 600 yard target with my DMR AR ( 20 inch barrel no chrome, DI gun) routinely this week. So it did perform as a true match. At 600 yards of course you are reaching the absolute limit of the caliber.

- PPU 55gr Brass, Wolf Gold 55gr (Brass) and Wolf Military Classic (62 Gr Steel) all did real fine also for accuracy (but not at the level of the 69 gr PPU match)

--- End quote ---

Erick

As always, great info.  Try out some of that Magtech 77SMK and some Hornady 75gr BTHP or 73gr ELD.  You will get way beyond 600yds for the limit of a 5.56mm.  With my 18" barreled (Proof Research) rifle I have gotten great results out into the 8-900m ranges and have even been able to get consistent hit around 1k. These can be had between .65 to .85 per round.

Chris

Erick:

--- Quote from: CJS06 on August 18, 2019, 08:55:24 PM ---
--- Quote from: Erick on August 18, 2019, 01:37:11 PM ---Update:

--- End quote ---

.  With my 18" barreled (Proof Research) rifle I have gotten great results out into the 8-900m ranges and have even been able to get consistent hit around 1k. These can be had between .65 to .85 per round.

Chris

--- End quote ---

Chris,

Thats pretty amazing!!!
The range I was at topped out at 600 yards.. but it from obvious from the spread I was nearing the limit of the ammo or the barrel.
The 69 gr PPU doesnt seem to be loaded real hot so were seeing  a lot of drop.. and i had to do my elevation adjustments a lot of clicks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version