Author Topic: Apparently 1911's suck.  (Read 2802 times)

Offline leadpersuasion

• Prepper
  • Don't Tread On Me!
Re: Apparently 1911's suck.
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2012, 03:21:13 PM »
Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but I think backwoods went too far in his assessment of Mr. James Yeager. Whatever! But the man has been there, and personally, I think he has his shit together and greatly value his opinion. Experience is king.
"Our cause is just; being with one mind resolved to die freemen rather than to live slaves." - Thomas Jefferson
"Training should be like a bloodless battle, so that battle is like bloody training." - TigerSwan

Offline rah45

• Community Moderator
  • Live Free, or Die.
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2012, 05:23:14 PM »
@ Mtnredneck:

You shouldn't include all 1911's in that statement. Rock Island Armory makes a 1911A2, which holds 14 rounds of .45 ACP in the mag. I've also read good things about its reliability.

Another one is Para-Ordnance's P14 series, though I have read reliability and Customer Service issues regarding that company.

Offline mountainredneck2051

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2012, 05:31:28 PM »
@ Mtnredneck:

You shouldn't include all 1911's in that statement. Rock Island Armory makes a 1911A2, which holds 14 rounds of .45 ACP in the mag. I've also read good things about its reliability.

Another one is Para-Ordnance's P14 series, though I have read reliability and Customer Service issues regarding that company.

RIA has some issues with reliability, as does para ordinance
Bursting bubbles since 2013

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
Fuel hogg-- UnBroken I changed my name.

How'd you do that?

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

UnBroken

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2012, 05:46:08 PM »
Fuel hogg-- UnBroken I changed my name.

How'd you do that?

It's in the profile settings

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2012, 05:59:39 PM »
I've been gone all day so I missed some stuff.  Did finally get a computer camera for 3 bucks at the flea market from a Jamaican dude that assured me it works.  LOL!  I was astounded by how much old style military camo was on the racks everywhere.  That's another story.

Now about the 45.  I've enjoyed some of these posts.  Here's the truth.  The old military issue 45's were reliable as hell.  That's because they were looser than anything you see being produced today.  They were meant to be close quarter's hand cannons and that's exactly what they were.  But you really had to search for one that was accurate at any distance over 25 yards.  The way we would test them is by pulling the slide back half an inch and trying to wiggle the barrel.  If the barrel didn't wiggle it was worth trying at the range.

My brother pawned a Glock 45 cal. to me instead of a pawn shop here years ago.  I kept it for about 6 years thinking I'd give it and a Colt Python of his to his boys down the road.  He finally asked if he could buy them back and I let let him have them back for what I paid.  $400.

The Glock was reliable but I never really liked it.  No visible hammer.  I just don't really trust handguns without a hammer I can see.  Guess I'm old fashioned.   :)

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

Offline RONSERESURPLUS

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2012, 06:07:07 PM »
Ron L here

I'm Gonna add my last say on this then you all can Go ahead, 1911a1's wil one day need parts and need repaired, as well as Glocks, anyone that doesn't think so is deluding himself, thats not what I say, thats what I saw! Go with what ya like and use and The Best is what works for you!

1000meterstare

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2012, 12:10:32 AM »
Glock has the most accidental discharges (documented) of any handgun brand in history.  Nice track record.  I'd feel better with a cocked-and-locked 1911 or browning hi-power.  My best choice is a .45 acp pistol in decock-only.  Best balance of energy and momentum without excessive recoil.

1000meterstare

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2012, 12:21:42 AM »
Wow!  After watching the video my analysis is the dude is a total prick!  I am willing to have a shooting contest with him or any of his 15,000 "students" any day of the week.  Timed, untimed, for groups or just hits.  I don't give a shit.  Toe-to-toe, fool!  BTW, my Ruger p97 has given me good service for 9 years but I am considering a Sig220.  A Glock is beneath my attention.  They are for idiots and/or cops. 

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2012, 01:00:24 AM »
Yeah, Sig!

UnBroken

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2012, 01:45:24 AM »
Wow!  After watching the video my analysis is the dude is a total prick!  I am willing to have a shooting contest with him or any of his 15,000 "students" any day of the week.  Timed, untimed, for groups or just hits.  I don't give a shit.  Toe-to-toe, fool!  BTW, my Ruger p97 has given me good service for 9 years but I am considering a Sig220.  A Glock is beneath my attention.  They are for idiots and/or cops.

So I guess I'm an idiot.

Offline mountainredneck2051

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2012, 02:26:11 AM »
Glock has the most accidental discharges (documented) of any handgun brand in history.  Nice track record.

glocks rely on you not pulling the fucking trigger until your trying to shoot something

everyone else relies on a manual safety so they dont shoot themselves (tex grebner)

yeah glock owners are the idiots.........   [img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at
Bursting bubbles since 2013

Offline tominphx

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2012, 05:56:09 AM »
I originally wrote a long post concerning the superiority of one pistol over another, but than I realized I was falling into that whole hardware discussion, when the software is what's really important.

When the software is programmed correctly, so to speak, the hardware issues solve themselves.  [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co
It's better to have it and not need it ...

Offline Outonowhere

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2012, 09:33:58 AM »
I originally wrote a long post concerning the superiority of one pistol over another, but than I realized I was falling into that whole hardware discussion, when the software is what's really important.

When the software is programmed correctly, so to speak, the hardware issues solve themselves. 

For the most part you are right.  I believe that there are firearms of ALL makes and models that work like a government desk jockey at the DMV on a holiday weekend, and it mostly comes down to...

1. Quality control and manufacturing process
2. Quality of mags and ammo used
3. Quality of end user.

As I stated before, I like the 1911.  I also like my Glock.  Only reason I switched from one to the other is the price of .45 compared to 9mm and the fact that I've had/seen more problems with 1911 mags as opposed to Glock style mags.

1km - While I am genuinely interested in the study I have to agree with Mountain.  If the study is based off of hardware malfunction alone I would like to see if there have been any changes.  Otherwise it comes down to the end user and their quality/level of training with THAT firearm.  And don't forget that most infamous of individuals on youtube who demonstrated the EASE of performing a ND with 1911  ;D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 09:35:57 AM by Outonowhere »
"A GREAT CONTRADICTION IS THE BELIEF IN STATES RIGHTS WHILE NOT SUPPORTING THE RIGHTS OF THE INDIVIDUAL."  - Me
Han shot first!

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2012, 10:51:45 AM »
Glock has the most accidental discharges (documented) of any handgun brand in history.  Nice track record.  I'd feel better with a cocked-and-locked 1911 or browning hi-power.  My best choice is a .45 acp pistol in decock-only.  Best balance of energy and momentum without excessive recoil.

That couldnt be because something like 15-20% of ALL gun sales last year were a GLOCK.. more guns means more accidents...

Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2012, 10:59:34 AM »
I am willing to have a shooting contest with him or any of his 15,000 "students" any day of the week.  Timed, untimed, for groups or just hits.  I don't give a shit.  Toe-to-toe, fool!

im sure hed do it but hes going to charge you a normal pistol class fee for getting to shoot with one of the most recognized civilian contractors alive. if you decide to pay please video it.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline RS762

• Committed prepper
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2012, 02:35:45 PM »
Sorry i don't take the "tactical instructor" in the Ed Hardy shirt very seriously.
That is the gayest goddamn shirt I've ever seen.

Also fuck Glocks, guns are made out of metal, toys are made from plastic.
The 1911 is THE MOST battle proven automatic pistol in the history of firearms, with the only possible exception being the tokarev design.

Although i will say i agree with him on the grip safety being fucking stupid.

But who am i kidding? I own an EAA witness .45 :))

CrystalHunter1989

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2012, 07:48:52 PM »
*muches popcorn and watches the fireworks*

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
  • I just want it to start already
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2012, 08:12:19 PM »
*muches popcorn and watches the fireworks*

[URL=http://www.smileyvault.co

I actually like the TT33  more than the 1911 even though the TT is stolen design it just feels better....it also punches through armor better.

* tosses another shovel full of coal into the fire *  ^-^

Oh yeah Insert MSS  ::)
Any station this is net, any station this is net. Monster One Alpha Radio check over.

Offline tominphx

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2012, 09:19:24 PM »
The 1911 is THE MOST battle proven automatic pistol in the history of firearms, with the only possible exception being the tokarev design.

No, that distinction would go to the browning HP.

Offline tominphx

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2012, 09:26:27 PM »
I am willing to have a shooting contest with him or any of his 15,000 "students" any day of the week.  Timed, untimed, for groups or just hits.  I don't give a shit.  Toe-to-toe, fool!

im sure hed do it but hes going to charge you a normal pistol class fee for getting to shoot with one of the most recognized civilian contractors alive. if you decide to pay please video it.

Actually, he offers a money back guarantee, all you have to do is explain why you felt the class was unsatisfactory in front of the rest of the class. He has yet to have anyone take him up.

Also, 1000meter, where abouts do you live? I can probably arrange a contest between you and a tactical response alumnus.

1000meterstare

« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2012, 10:02:09 PM »
I live in Southern Indiana.  Sometimes it seems I practically live at the range (for 2 decades now), so I'd probably give any self-proclaimed "tactical" guy a run for their money.  I would love to compete with Hickok .45.  That dude has mad skills and is one of the few people I respect and will freely confess is probably better than me. [img]http://www.smileydesign.n

Offline RS762

• Committed prepper
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2012, 10:12:44 PM »

How?
The 1911 was produced in greater quantity and had a longer service length.

1000meterstare

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2012, 10:15:49 PM »
The only accidental discharge I've ever had was in my pants.  OOOOHHHH! 8)

Offline tominphx

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2012, 06:55:09 AM »

How?
The 1911 was produced in greater quantity and had a longer service length.

The HP has or is still used in general issue (as much as a pistol is in a military) by more militaries and law enforcement agencies worldwide than the 1911.

It has also fought against itself (as a general issue pistol, not just a capture) and won, every time.   :D