Author Topic: Ammo: Sighting in My AR15  (Read 397 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Ammo: Sighting in My AR15
« on: September 26, 2018, 10:50:31 AM »
This past Sunday I took the time to sight in one of my AR's with my new Dead Air suppressor. Although I do not physically own the 'can' as I am awaiting my NFA stamp; However, I can visit it and take it for a spin at times.  ;)

I sight in my AR's for 50 yards. This seems to give me the best hold out to 200 yards. Aim just above the heart of a two legged critter you will hit some thing between the head and belly button.

Using a 5x Burris 536 scope my shots were all over 3" at 50 yards. WTF! Some shots were grouped while others were not. I kept changing settings on the scope but I was just chasing the 3-shot groups around the target.

My friendly class III dealer asked, "did you locktite the screws on the scope?" I replied with a roll of my eyes, "of course!"

He then grabbed a handful of of my 55 gr ammo and asked where I got it.

Just before Freedomammo went TU Steve contacted me and asked if I would like a 1,000 round box of 5.56, 55 gr ammo at a very good price. The price came to 20ยข a round with free shipping so I jumped at it. Well my friendly class III dealer showed me that the bullet seating was inconsistent among many of the rounds.

He said, "let me get some IMI ammo from the shop." I stopped him as I had some in the truck. IMI, 77 gr. razor ammo.

Loaded up a mag, seated the mag, hit the bolt carrier catch, took a couple of deep breaths, squeezed the trigger three times and I had a 3-shot group about the size of a dime at 2 O'clock just outside the 1" square bullseye. Moved the scope two clicks to the left. Shot three more rounds and was at 12 O'clock 1/2" high. Lowered the impact by one click on the scope and after three more rounds down range - VOILA! I was shooting nice three round groups about 1/4" high of dead center.

Good enough for government work.

Lesson learned. Hopefully my mistake will benefit the readers on the forum.

Oh, I also had some time to practice 3-4 round bursts from a Uzi mini.  ;D
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Deathstyle

• Hardcore Prepper
Re: Ammo: Sighting in My AR15
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 03:47:00 PM »
Thought I was watching a hickok45 vid at first.

Good reminder on the ammo while getting a zero
"Blackouts are God's way of saying, 'Don't worry 'bout it".

Online Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 03:49:34 PM »
   Thanks for the information, Johny.  I'm trying to remember if I bought some Freedom Ammo, I guess I'll have to go through some of the stock and verify.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 04:08:11 PM »
ABSOLUTLY. However, mine was a closeout deal and that is what i was using. On regular ammo, Steve did a bank up job.  ;)
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 04:10:01 PM »
Only if you are interested... $15K and a $200- NFA Treasury stamp and I can get ya' one.  8)

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 07:47:50 PM »
cool vid! :cheers:

Online Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 09:02:18 PM »
    I stick with my semi-auto.  $15K will buy a lot of ammo.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 11:29:58 AM »
LOL Jackalope that it will.

Drop in sears (DIAS) for a AR15 are now going for $20K. The benny that you get with a AR15 DIAS is that with a DIAS loaded into a AR15 you can add a .300 Blackout, .22LR, or a .224 Valkyrie upper to your already 5.56 upper so in essence you have a select fire rifle in four calibers.  :gunner:

In all honesty, I too will stick with my semi-auto weapons.

Online Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 04:12:57 PM »
   AR's are okay (I have a number of them), but I really like UZI's for general purpose self defense.  Yup, UZI's are old school, but they are fun to shoot.  Plus, they are easy to shoot, even for small stature adults and teenagers.  They have minimal recoil, and they're adequately accurate out to a 100 yards.  They are not target shooting weapons, but they are extremely reliable.  Heck, even my wife likes shooting an UZI carbine.  9mm ammo is relatively cheap in bulk quantities too.  The UZI carbine is also easy to conceal.  So for close in shooting, I like UZI's over a pistol.

Back to the original post.... Johny are you happy with your new suppressor?  Does it perform like you expected?  Did Freedom Ammo actually go out of business?  I knew they were having financial issues, but I hadn't heard they closed shop.  How in the heck does an ammo company go out of business?  It seems like an ammo manufacturing business would be an ideal money maker.  Regarding whether you're pleased with the suppressor, I'm referring to the sound suppression, since you've already referred to the accuracy.  How quiet is it?  Was the ammo sub-sonic?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 04:15:33 PM by Jackalope »

Online Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 07:45:40 PM »
    Freedom Munitions is still in business.  I just received an e-mail from them promoting some of their sale priced ammo.  I have bought ammo from them in the past, though I haven't used any of it yet to comment on the accuracy or reliability.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 08:56:08 AM »
Jackalope, answers to your questions in no particular order...

1) The UZI machine pistol was what the Secret Service used under their jkts till Bush 41. Then the HK MP5 took its place. After chatting
    with some retired SS agents, they in hindsight preferred the UZI with its open bolt configuration and its rock solid manufacture.
    Apparently the MP5 has more moving parts and is not as robust as the UZI. I was told that each agent carries a zip lock bag of parts in
    case the weapon fails in the field.

2) My Dead Air (Sandman-S .30 cal.) supressor is awesome. I will say though when I first shot it I had to go back to ear muffs. Although
    quieter than without it, it seemed to under perform. Then around the 20-25th round down my barrel, it became remarkable quieter. Later
    when I did some research on the unit (Read the directions) I found out that the company explains that as you shoot it, e.g. it acquires burnt    powder and gasses - The supressor will become quieter. Well they were correct.

We have shot the Dead Air on my AR and a Ruger bolt action 6.5 Creedmoor. My class III dealer was very impressed with the 
    performance of the supressor.

Now, something very important when talking about a supressor. If you shoot rounds that travel faster than the speed of sound
   (1,125 fps) you will still get a crack; However, the noise you hear at the barrel is diminished greatly. A supressor really comes into its
   own when you fire sub-sonic ammo. I have put a few rounds of sub-sonic 5.56 down the barrel of my AR and basically you just hear
   the action cycling. Pretty cool.

With sub-sonic 5.56 ammo it can be a 'iffy' proposition do to the action not cycling properly. So be careful of what brand ammo you
   buy. And in my opinion, let the professionals manufacture the ammo and you not reload it.  ;) Now I have not had an issue with the
   cycling of sub-sonic 9mm in a handgun or select fire rifle.

3) YES, Freedom Munitions is STILL in business. Freedomammo from Toledo is out of business. Why does a ammo company go out of
    business you ask Jackalope...Running a business without a business background or having a businessman work with you. Steve was
    a great guy. Produced quality ammo BUT he was no businessman.

73! 

« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 08:59:30 AM by JohnyMac »

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 12:35:26 PM »
Johny

Great to head you are enjoying your can.  If you replace the endcap of your .30cal can with a 5.56 endcap it will help reduce that louder 1st shots. Just remember to change it out when you switch to a larger caliber gun :o.

I am currently in Utah shooting a series of classes....with a little skydiving mixed in. I just finished up shooting a 2 day carbine class with a course of fire out to 600m.  I shot it with my 10.5" gun with Sandman K can on it. The K is not ideal for a short barreled gun but I was still able to run both days very comfortably.  Shooting Black Hills 77gr TMK the 10.5 was still very effective in the 4-600m portions of the class.

It is too bad that Steve had to close up shop. Unfortunately the last of the product he got out was less than his normal very high quality. Freedom Ammo had a good thing going and too often got mistaken for Freedom Munitions.

I will no longer shoot any Freedom Munitions products. I have personally had too many case ruptures and separations as well as poorly set bullets. In addition I have witnessed many more of the same. It is too easy to find good quality ammo at reasonable prices to shoot that stuff.

Chris