Author Topic: 2018 - Field Day  (Read 814 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
2018 - Field Day
« on: June 12, 2018, 08:36:34 AM »
Every year the ARRL (American Radio Relay League) organizes a contest called Field Day which is held the fourth weekend in June. This year it will be Saturday June 23 starting at 1400 hrs. till Sunday June 24the 1400 hrs.

Here is a short blurp from Wikapedia on the event:
"Field Day is an annual amateur radio exercise, widely sponsored by IARU regions and member organizations, encouraging emergency communications preparedness[citation needed] among amateur radio operators. In the United States, it is typically the largest single emergency preparedness exercise in the country, with over 30,000 operators participating each year. Field Day is always the fourth full weekend of June, beginning at 1800 UTC Saturday and running through 2059 UTC Sunday.

Since the first ARRL Field Day in 1933, radio amateurs throughout North America have practiced the rapid deployment of radio communications equipment in environments ranging from operations under tents in remote areas to operations inside Emergency Operations Centers (EOCs). Operations using emergency and alternative power sources are highly encouraged, since electricity and other public infrastructures are often among the first to fail during a natural disaster or severe weather.

To determine the effectiveness of the exercise and of each participant's operations, there is an integrated contesting component, and many clubs also engage in concurrent leisure activities (camping out, cookouts, etc.). Operations typically last a continuous twenty-four hours, requiring scheduled relief operators to keep stations on the air. Additional contest points are awarded for experimenting with unusual modes, making contacts via satellite, and involving youth in the activity."

Friday June 22nd, late in the day, I and a half a dozen club members will position guide lines to hoist dipole antennas Saturday.

This year I will be hoisting two antennas. A QRP dipole and a NVIS antenna. I have been assigned the 'GOTA' station this year. The GOTA station is where none licensed guests can come and get on the air using the station managers license to transmit.

In closing, follow the first link I posted to find out where a stations (s) will be operating near your AO.

73 folks!
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
Re: 2018 - Field Day
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 10:01:20 AM »
I will be in Sevierville TN then.  There is a group at the American Legion hall.  Will this be open to spectators looking to see whats going on and learn a bit?

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 07:38:10 PM »
Nemo, as you may know, Smokey Mountain Knife Works is just outside of Sevierville, and if you've never been there, it's well worth a visit.  And just across the parking lot is Bud's Gun Shop, which has a very nice selection of firearms.  And down the road from there is a place called Legends Moonshine, they offer some excellent different alcohols, with free tastings. I went there just to pick up one bottle of 'shine, but we ended up buying 6 bottles of different concoctions, and I only drink maybe once a year. 

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 10:02:57 PM »
My toasting bottle is getting empty.  One toast every new year for all thats been and all that will be.  Things and people.  A good shine would work.

The other stuff sounds good too.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 05:53:43 AM »
   The road going from I-40 to Sevierville has all kinds of tourist type stores and activities.  Also, in the same complex as Bud's and Smokey Mountain Knife Works is a Lodge cast iron cookware factory store.  They have some good deals on cast iron frying pans and all kinds of cookware, i.e., dutch ovens, etc.  I imagine the road gets backed up during the summer tourist season.  We were there during the off season and there was a lot of traffic.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 10:56:52 AM »
Nemo, yes Field Day is open to the public. And as I mentioned, most groups will have a GOTA radio set up so none hams can TX and RX.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 08:01:03 PM »
Well our club is all set for Field Day. We set up in a series of out buildings and barns in a club members summer compound because rain is in the forecast for both days.  :(

We will have 5-stations PLUS a GOTA station which is a free-be in the contest.

Pictures and a continued report coming.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 09:04:10 PM »
Good luck!  I hope your group makes lots of contacts.  Watch out for Dupes!

Offline zeerf

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 11:41:29 PM »
Good luck! and have fun, I will be packing and getting things ready to move so missing field day this year...not happy but will be glad once the move is done!

Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 09:04:04 AM »
i hope your weather is good!  have fun!

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 03:11:27 PM »
Just a quick AAR on this years Field Day.

Friday we set up some antennas and messenger lines for additional antennas. The weather was picture perfect.

Saturday at start time (1400 Hrs.) we had five stations plus a GOTA station which is a freebee as it is used primarily for non hams visiting the festivities. We had intermittent rain but was mostly sunny albeit humid. At 1700 Hrs. we quit for 1/2 hr or so to feast on prime rib sandwiches and cornucopia of side dishes that each ham brought. MrsMac brought her 'Damn Beans' which were a big hit as she went home with an empty dish.   

Two stations were used for CQ (Morse Code), one was used for digital, and the others were used for phone. 

I hit the sack at 0100 Hrs. Sunday morning along with all of the stations but one that remained open doing CQ till 0300 Hrs. I was visited at about 0230 by a guest who was a little startled by my voice emanated from a hammock I was sleeping in about 20 feet from my station. I bellowed out, with much annoyance "can I help you?" The young man stuttered, "I think I left my cell phone here when I visited earlier."

I told him that I had found a cell phone earlier and it was on the table in front of him. I asked him if he had a flash light and he replied, "no." so I used the Streamlite on my handgun to eliminate the table for him. He nervously thanked me and trotted away.   

Got up at 0530 Hrs. and boiled some water for coffee. At 0600 Hrs the generators were turned back on and we all got on the airwaves making contacts till 1400 Hrs, when the contest ended. We did stop for 1/2 hr. to eat an awesome breakfast of eggs, bacon, and toast which one of the ham operators wife made on a couple of Coleman white gas stoves.

After 1400 Hrs Sunday we started the arduous task of taking down the antennas and packing up all of the gear. At 1600 Hrs. I pulled out of this years location. At this time the preliminary results were, we had made 1039 contacts over the 24 hr. period

Last night on our clubs net the final number of contacts once duplicates were culled out was announced. As a group we had made 958 contacts! The highest we had ever made as a club. The break down was:

> 19 GOTA contacts (Contacts made by non licensed hams 'visitors')
> 98 digital
> 374 Phone, and
> 476 CQ.

As a club, we made contacts in every state within the Continental USA BUT Arizona and most of the Canadian provinces.

Some of the antennas that were used were:
> Delta Loop,
> NVIS,
> Dipole (s), and
> 'Home Brew' yagi.

A good time was had by all!!!

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 03:57:26 PM »
    Thank you for the report Johny, it sounds like y'all had a good time!

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 08:15:03 PM »
Alrighty JM & Mrs. Mac ... It's time for you to spill the beans on "damn beans".....What's the recipe?
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 08:56:58 PM »
Beans, beans, the magical fruit...

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2018, 09:38:49 PM »
Beans, beans, the magical fruit...
The more you eat, the more you poot...
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2018, 10:55:03 PM »

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2018, 08:12:19 AM »
MrsMac's Damn Beans

- 6 Slices of chopped 1/4x1/4" bacon            - 1/2C Chopped onion (I like vadalia type onions)
- 1, 15-16 oz. can of Pork & Beans               - 1, 15-16 oz, can navy beans, drained
- 1, 15-16 oz. can kidney beans                   - 19-12 oz. sharp cheddar cheese cubed
- 1C Ketchup                                             - 3/4C firmly packed brown sugar or maple syrup
- 1 TBLS Worcestershire sauce

> In frying pan cook bacon till half done then add onions. Cook onions till almost caramelized
> While bacon and onion are cooking butter 2Qt casserole dish.
> Turn on the oven - 325 degrees
> Combine in casserole dish all of the above ingredients and stir well. [I like to spread a bit of
   grated cheese on top]
> Bake uncovered for 1 1/2 hrs.

They are called MrsMac's Damn beans, because she hates to make them but in the summer she is always asked to bring them to a get together.

Enjoy!

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2018, 01:26:38 PM »
 :drool:  Thanks JM.  It looks like a rich/hearty/stout version of baked beans. I'll have to make it some time.