Author Topic: Wise food products?  (Read 2606 times)

hjmoosejaw

Wise food products?
« on: October 19, 2012, 02:20:31 PM »
Has anybody tried any of Wise's food packs. (just add hot water)? I sent for a free sample. 25 year shelf life. I'll let you guys know how they taste when I get it. Of course, it's hard to go by me. I'll eat just about anything. Below is a link.

http://wisefoodstorage.com/

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
Re: Wise food products?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 03:14:59 PM »
I browsed through their ingredients (for their products that they actually have the decency to list the ingredients) and I'm seeing way too many 'shit' ingredients for me  ~  partially hydrogenated oils, cottonseed oil, yeast extract (MSG), no doubt GMO's (hydrolyzed corn protein, maltodextrin, canola/corn/soybean oils); petroleum derivatives (yellow #5 & #6); "chicken meat powder" (WTF??). 

No thanks, I'll stick with rice; beans; canned/freeze dried meats, fish, veggies and fruits; coconut oil; along with carefully selected vitamin/mineral supplements. 

I guess if you usually eat that kind of shit, go for it.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 03:29:47 PM by special-k »
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline EJR914

• Hardcore Prepper
    • EJR914 Youtube Page
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 03:32:17 PM »
We tried to get them on our website, but for some reason we ran into a snag, I think it was price.

Offline v0dka

• Firefigher EMT-P
  • Senior Prepper
  • flecktastic!!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 01:18:04 AM »
I bought a bucket. I have only tried 2 portions of tomato soup. I ate the 2 servings as one meal and made it as per directions. It was very good but salty, you defiantly want ample water when eating these. I'm going to try to make the other 2 servings in the pack cold when i get the chance.

One of the more "solid" meals will be going in my grab bag that i take with me when i know i'm going to be away from the house for awhile.
Shouldn't be long until I have a chance to use it.

I also found out buying MRE entrees can be cheaper then these. I planed on making a mre type meal with the wise foods being the entr?e. But the wise foods do last for 25 years (maybe longer) and they are new.
sic luceat lux

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 10:41:46 AM »
hj,
it's good that you are going forward buying food to put away for a rainy day.

One suggestion I have for you is on the same thread as what Special-K wrote. Why don't you put your own food up?

You will save about 50%, maybe even more and the items you put up will be better for you than what is in those pouches.

My wife and I purchased about 60% of what we put up from the LDS Cannery's (Bishop Houses). You do not need to be Mormon to buy from the cannery's. It was also a fun project for my wife and I to share in.

The remaining items we purchased from big box (Costco, BJ's etc) stores and restaurant supply houses.

We are light on animal protein though and canned meats are pricy. So I am going to start caning meat over the next several weeks. When meat is on sale at the grocery store, I will buy it and can it. I got this idea from a member of MRL&L. I wish I could remember his handle to give him credit for the idea but I don't remember. 

If you want any help (This offer goes out to all on the site) PM me and I will get you started. In the meantime here are some links to wet your appetite (Pun intended).  :))

Basic "diy" on long term food storage, mylar & buckets

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100672960/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=5+gallon+buckets&storeId=10051#.UIK30aBP-0o (According to the symbol on the bottom of the bucket these are food grade

The seeds you sow today you will reap in years to come...

« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 10:40:26 AM by JohnyMac »
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 01:22:51 PM »
Thanks for the input guys! Yeah, my plan was, if I get some of these, it's because of the 25 year shelf life, and they're lightweight with a sufficient amount of calories. JM, I have been watching a lot of the videos on the mylar/ bucket approach, along with the homemade MRE's. My plan was to maybe have a 7 day amount for me and my family in the bugout bag of the pre-bagged stuff from Wise (or whoever) and subsidize it along with homemade bags with the snacks, vitamins, towelettes and such. The 7 day plan would strictly be for the main BOB. (the rollout type) The homemade MRE's would be for the smaller BOB's. (like the family's individual ones), and the get home bag.  My home stash, and BOL will be the mylar bag/buckets along with canned foods and homemade MRE's.

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 10:22:27 AM »
Just an update. The WISE Food Co. sent me the sampler. It was chili mac. It was a good amount (serves 4), depends on who's eating it. More like 2 servings for me. Anyway, a good amount. Easy to make and it taste good. The family all liked it and they're picky eaters. They advertise a 25 year shelf life. Actually, it's 25 years in the bucket. Seven years once the individual packs are taken out of the bucket. (still not bad though) Here's a link, if anybody wants a sampler. It came in a few days.

http://wisefoodstorage.com/

Click at top of page.

P.S.  I just recently found out that Walmart also is selling survival type food buckets.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?atc=1&search_query=survival+food&ic=16_0&Find=Find&indexId=13abfe7cdc8c&cdnHost=search-cdn.walmart.com&searchdropdowndiv=com.wm.module.305715.constraint&search_constraint=0
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 10:30:04 AM by hjmoosejaw »

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 12:59:33 PM »
Thanks for the update HJ. I've always thought it was a good idea to have a variety of food stuffs, from pre-made packages to ones put together by yourself. Don't forget the water supply.

Offline Outonowhere

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 07:53:13 PM »
I also sent for a sample but have not received it yet though I did speak to a rep so it's just a matter of time.
"A GREAT CONTRADICTION IS THE BELIEF IN STATES RIGHTS WHILE NOT SUPPORTING THE RIGHTS OF THE INDIVIDUAL."  - Me
Han shot first!

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 04:42:40 AM »
Thanks for the update HJ. I've always thought it was a good idea to have a variety of food stuffs, from pre-made packages to ones put together by yourself. Don't forget the water supply.

Really, one would be screwed with no water with these meals. That would be my luck. LOL!

I also sent for a sample but have not received it yet though I did speak to a rep so it's just a matter of time.

Let me know if you would, when you receive it, if you also got the chili mac, and what you thought of it.

Offline Outonowhere

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 01:34:49 PM »
Just got mine in the mail yesterday and I got pasta Alfredo!  Haven't tried it yet though...  :))
"A GREAT CONTRADICTION IS THE BELIEF IN STATES RIGHTS WHILE NOT SUPPORTING THE RIGHTS OF THE INDIVIDUAL."  - Me
Han shot first!