Author Topic: Wheat Field's a Bust  (Read 1328 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Wheat Field's a Bust
« on: September 13, 2013, 03:36:40 PM »
Some of you folks may remember that my neighbor and I up at the cabin experimented this spring by planting an acre of wheat. Well unfortunately, not enough wheat came up to warrant the use of fuel to cut it. The decision was to release the cows, steers and goats into the field to eat and then fertilize 'said' wheat field in preparation for disking and then planting winter wheat. I am a little bummed as I didn't get to use my (new to me) sickle bar mower but....What ever it was an experiment...Right? :tractor:

Well I just received a text from my partner in crime letting me know he opened up the wheat field to his critters and 'Ben the Bull' promptly took out the scare crow that was in the field. Well I am particularly bummed as the scare crows name was Barack. I texted back to my partner that it is quit obvious that he is raising racist critters and in no time the Secret Service will be showing up at his farm doing cavity searches.

His response was that he was debating approaching Ben to remove - What is left of Barack from his horns. This would probably involve a bucket of grain and a strong heart in which to do so.

I texted back reminding him of what Flagstaff said in Shakespeare's Henry the Fourth, "The better part of valor is discretion, in the which better part I have sav'd my life."  Which at the time of this writing he has not responded to my text; either due to being chased around the wheat field by Ben or not being a fan of Shakespeare.  :facepalm:

Anyhow, I am glad that we are not there but back in RI as I am sure the O'drone that passes regularly above the cabin has recorded this Nugent-esk display; of a racist bull attacking our President, in effigy.

Let the strip searches begin!
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Well-Prepared Witch

• Committed prepper
    • The Well-Prepared Witch
Re: Wheat Field's a Bust
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 07:02:27 PM »
We tried some wheat this summer, too.  It was more a proof of concept than actual planting as we didn't plant at the right time and barely did a 20' x 40' plot of it.  We ended up mowing it down and leaving it for the birds.  However, we know we can grow it.  I have to admit I'm tempted to "borrow" our neighbors' cows - put up some of that portable electric fencing, maybe - and have them fertilize some of our land.  It could really use it and I do not want to use commercial fertilizers if I can avoid it, plus cows are WAY cheaper for the amount of space we'd need worked. 
If that which you seek you find not within yourself, you shall never find it without.  - Charge of the Goddess, Doreen Valiente
http://wellpreparedwitch.com

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Re: Wheat Field's a Bust
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 08:12:08 AM »
We or what I should really say my neighbor, who is a family farmer does exactly what you wrote. As the last of the veggies get harvested he extends the critters grazing range to include his garden.

He puts up temporary stakes around the garden and runs two strands of wire on them. He fires the wire up with a 12 volt deep cycle battery. He will actually feed the critters hay in the garden until December or so.

He is thinking of moving the pigs to a field for a few months where he is going to grow corn next year. He will probably wit till the starter pigs go to the butcher so he just needs to move the sow and boar.

Free fertilizer that is distributed by someone else is GREAT!  :thumbsUp:

Critters = Cow's, bull, calf's and goats.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.