General Category > Sustenance

Ultimate Survival Garden Guide {27 Best Crops}

(1/1)

Nemo:
Thoughts Gents?

Nemo

https://thepeasantsdaughter.net/survival-garden/

Sir John Honeybucket:
This looks like good advice and from a practical point of view.  Too many hobby gardens grow some plants, using MONEY as fertilizer.  Their emphasis on composting is very important. 

In addition to the above, another good source is David The Good, author of books like  Grow or Die,  Compost Everything and more.  His humor and HANDS ON KNOWLEDGE along with his ability to communicate how it's done in a very practical manner: priceless.

Start here:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC208478ECji1rdkDDbB0vHQ

And remember:  COMPOST YOUR ENEMIES!

Jackalope:
My first thought is that if you're not already gardening in some form, then you're behind the power curve.  Just buying seeds and garden tools without actually using them is a sure-fire way to starve.  Folks need to grow their vegetables to see what works in their soil and micro-climate.  It takes multiple seasons to become attuned to the vagaries of your location.  You need to learn what pests are going to compete for your crops.  It is a learning process.

Overall, the Peasant Daughter's suggestions are okay.  Her bulk food suggestions are very good.

:coffeeNews:

Sir John Honeybucket:
Agreed, here at the shoreline cottage , the trick was years of soil conditioning.  We compost , and consider carefully which portions of the property routinely flood during inclement weather vs where we get the best sun.  Our main raised bed was build for proper drainage in the best sun vs worst flooding part of the property.  Years of soil prep make it more likely to be productive.   

In short, you're correct; start early, learn the hard lessons before your next meal depends upon I t.  Besides, a little time each day with a hoe and spade make for a relaxing time in the garden. 

pkveazey:
I think all the comments about having and maintaining a garden are great. However, I grew up on a farm and beyond growing crops and maintaining animals, our garden was a giant pain in the ass. I have seeds and fertilizer, just in case, but I will only create a garden when and if it becomes necessary. Here are some of the pitfalls: Bad weather, Insects and Varmints, People stealing your stuff, daily maintenance like watering, weeding, and hand removing insects. Then you have to watch the plants and pick them at just the right moment. If you pick them too soon, you're screwed. If you pick them too late, you're screwed. Also, you better know how to store or preserve the crop. Now, I know that sounds like I'm saying, "Don't do it", but I'm not. I'm just saying that it's a lot more work than you might think. Here's something else to consider: An Orchard with Apples, Peaches, Pears, Nut Trees, Blackberrys, etc. An orchard requires a lot less Maintenace. When I lived on a farm, we had regular crops and animals, but we also had an orchard and a small garden. Since I live out in the country and am surrounded by farmers, I'm hoping to have access to home grown food items when the stores are empty. My thought is to give the seeds and fertilizer to a nearby farmer and split the crop with him. One member of my MAG is a big time farmer with a ton of farm equipment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version