Author Topic: Pig Slaughter & Butchering, 2021  (Read 672 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Pig Slaughter & Butchering, 2021
« on: April 10, 2021, 11:55:46 AM »
Pig Slaughter & Butchering, 2021

Yesterday my neighbor and partner in crime, slaughtered four pigs. Once washed down we took them to a local butcher for processing.

The butcher we use will not slaughter the pigs, the farmer has too. When asked why his reason was, "most people do not know how heavy their pigs are. I am 60-years old, and I can handle up to a 300-pound pig and put them down. Anything over that I struggle with. So, I just say all pigs have to be brought to me slaughtered."

Over the years we have perfected the slaughtering process by luring the pigs to be slaughtered into a trailer the night before the slaughter.

The morning of the slaughter we let one pig out at a time. As one runs out, we put down a coffee can of pig feed on the ground in front of the shooter and the pig runs over. As it drops their head to eat the pig food one of us pops it in the head. I like using a suppressed AR-15 loaded with subsonic rounds. Once down and kicking I tap them again a few times in the jugular to help with the bleeding out process. Move to a different spot a few yards away and start the process all over again.

Things have gone easier for the pigs and us once I switched to a suppressor and subsonic ammo a few years ago. Loud rifle reports seemed to get the pigs riled up and made the additional slaughtering an uphill trek as each pig was dispatched. Pigs are smart and you do not want to get their adrenaline up.   

Once all pigs are dispatched, one person slices the neck while the other gets the tractor.

Take two at a time from the field back to the barn to wash down and then load into the truck. Then off to the butcher.

The pigs we used this year were Gloucestershire's. They were a bit more expensive to buy as a piglet at $90- each vs. the white wattles we usually buy at $70- each.

My neighbor and I feed the pigs 80% produce we get from a local Wegman's supermarket. Produce that they would normally throw out. The other 20% is pig feed purchased by a local farmer who raises feed for all kinds of critters.

We have been raising, slaughtering, and butchering pigs for about 10-years now. Our pigs are grown in a nice 4,000 sf field so they tend to be a bit chewier than grocery store pigs that are raised in small pens. Because of the food we feed the pigs and the great conditions they are raised in; we think the finished product is a cut above what you buy in the grocery store. Another plus, what is fed to them has no additional by-products like antibiotics.

Since my neighbor does most of the work and we raise them on his land, he sells any extra over two pigs - One for him and one for me. The others, he will sell by half and whole pig sizes.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 11:57:24 AM by JohnyMac »
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
Re: Pig Slaughter & Butchering, 2021
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 12:03:17 PM »
So what would a half run cost wise.  Or a whole?  Sounds most interesting.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 12:18:44 PM »
    I slaughtered some pigs for a friend many years ago.  He thoughtfully sent his wife and kids into town while the pigs were slaughtered.  I used a sledge hammer and a sharp knife.  Like you, we'd give the pig something to eat, while it was busy munching, I'd give it a good whack in the head with the hammer.  The legs would be tied and the body would be lifted using a come along on a kids swing set.  The throat would then be cut and it would be left to drain out.  My friend couldn't handle doing the actual killing, since he had raised the beasties.  It's been nearly 40 years, and I can still remember vividly how messy it was.  Hunting and kiiling something with a firearm is one thing, but doing it with a hammer and a knife takes killing to a whole different level.  In one case, apparently the hammer blow wasn't enough to incapacitate the animal, because when I went to slit its throat it started thrashing around.  Whew...talk about a mess! 

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 12:53:44 PM »
@Nemo, I do not know what he is charging this year. In past years, he sold a whole pig for $4.50 a pound hanging weight. In the past as written, the white wattles weighed in for a fall harvest at 180 to 220-pounds. The Gloucestershire's were harvested after a winter so naturally they are lighter. They will go for about 130 to 170-pounds. The cost includes the butchering, original cost of the pig, food, and labor. A whole pig lasts MrsMac and I for about one year.

One of the benefits of buying a pig from a local farmer is you know how they are raised and get to choose how your pig is butchered. As an example, we have one side of pork chops smoked while the other is fresh. Hot, breakfast, Sweet Italian, etc sausage - Bulk or links. Bacon can be smoked or not smoked, thin or thick sliced. You get the idea.

As a side note, I have never heard anybody complain about the quality of the meat. I have heard people complain about the cost though. Just keep in mind that these pigs are not grown for maximum weight, kept is a sty the size of the pig, are only fed grain full of antibiotics, etc, etc, etc. They are grown with the end product in mind.

@Jackalope, you are a brave man using only a hammer and knife. Even head shot those flailing hoofs could do a number on your legs. Many, many, many years ago, there was a local Mennonite family that would cut (Castrate) piglets in the spring and come to your farm in the fall to actually slaughter and butcher your pigs.

They would grab the pig by one of the ears, tie up both rear legs and hoist them using a come-a-long, then slice their throats. Once drained of blood they would dunk the whole pig into a near boiling 55-gallon drum of water. After about 10-minutes in the simmering water they would hoist the pig out of the water and scrape off the hair or bristles. Once that was done they would process the meat.

Unlike the butcher we use today, they would wrap the pig parts with butcher paper. Our butcher now vacuum seals all the cuts which adds additional price to the butchering process. But, the meat lasts longer in the freezer. He also skins the pig verses simmering and then scrapping the hair. 

All in all, the cost was comparable. Maybe a 50-cents a pound cheaper if the Mennonites did the job but a whole lot noisier. Ever hear a stuck pig? It is nasty.

They stopped offering their service as they were old back then, now they must be ancient.   

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline grizz

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Lets Go Brandon
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 01:33:56 PM »
I only processed a pig once and we killed it with a .22 behind the ear, it dropped on the spot. Then we slit the throat and began the real work

Did I read in there someplace about offering free shipping to Alaska  :pirateThumbUp:  :cowboy:
.:: We SaluteOur Veterans ::.
[IMG]http://vpnavy01.c

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 03:08:24 PM »
Free shipping to Alaska ... :lmfao:  :cheers: