Author Topic: Most compact, highest caloric-value edc/go-bag food?  (Read 3162 times)

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
Most compact, highest caloric-value edc/go-bag food?
« on: August 22, 2012, 06:14:02 PM »
What is the most compact (takes up the least space), but highest calorie food you can pack into a edc bag? Thinking of a three to four day food source. Want to pick SP's brain on this.

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
Re: Most compact, highest caloric-value edc/go-bag food?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 06:47:19 PM »
I'm glad you asked this... I've been meaning to do a write up on this subject.  In my research, the most compact, lightweight, high energy food I've ever come across is raw coconut oil.  It's an amazing substance consisting of MCFA's (medium-chain-fatty-acids) that are rapidly converted directly into energy while bypassing the liver, unlike all other oils.  In other words, it provides quick, long lasting energy, and satiates (ends hunger) at the same time...without the high, then crash you get from simple carbs.  I use it daily and it it has been part of my EDC for years.  NOTE:  Raw coconut oil has a long shelf life (3+ years) when stored uncontaminated at room temperatuere.  However, once contaminated, it will begin to turn rancid.  It is best to liquefy the oil (with body heat, etc...) and pour from the jar if you are not 100% sure your spoon is virtually sterile. 

Raw coconut oil also has many medicinal uses whether used internally or topically (athlete'e foot, chapped lips, wound dressing, deodorant, etc...)  I have used it for all of these conditions, and have found it to work as good or better than prescription and OTC remedies...especially for athlete's foot. 

I have also theorized that it can be used as gun lube and may even be the main ingredient in Frog Lube.... the manufacturer claims their product is non-toxic and even edible.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 06:55:05 PM by special-k »
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 06:53:11 PM »
SK: are taking a spoonful then? How do you store it in an edc bag that might be subject to varying temps?

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 07:09:33 PM »
SK: are taking a spoonful then? How do you store it in an edc bag that might be subject to varying temps?
Usually 1 or 2 tablespoons at a time.  I've heard of people taking up to 6 tablespoons at a time.  You can store it in anything glass, plastic or metal as long as it is clean and dry inside, and has a good seal (threaded).  As far as temperature, it does start to solidify below 76'F.  If you plan ahead you can usually re-liquefy it with only body heat.  If cold weather conditions are extreme, use a candle or place it near your fire (if/when you have one going)... using a glass or metal container is suggested for warming using fire.  Remember, it's not necessary to liquefy the entire jar each time you use it, just liquefy enough around the edges to get your serving.

EDIT: A chemical hand warmer attached with rubber bands could be used in extreme cold weather for when body heat won't work and you don't have time to stop and warm the oil.   
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 07:47:44 PM by special-k »
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 07:14:22 PM »
Coconut oil sounds like an amazingly useful food source. Looking forward to your report on it!  [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co

Offline Grudgie

• Committed prepper
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 10:17:45 PM »
I'd recomend a good ole batch of peanut butter, honey, and rolled oats. You can also put some whey protien in it so you have your fats from the peanut butter, simple and complex carbs from the oats and honey, and protien. It's a very nutrient dense and filling food. I don't trust no tropical new age pagan coconut oil.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 10:22:02 PM by Grudgie »

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 11:10:20 PM »
...I don't trust no tropical new age pagan coconut oil.
So, does your mistrust come from actual research and years of personal use?

Your peanut butter mixture is not bad, provided its not made with the standard/common PB that contains hydrogenated oil which has absolutely zero nutritious benefit and only harms the body in more ways than I care to go into now. 

That being said, the PB mixture (made with the proper PB) would serve as an excellent last meal before bedtime because you won't notice the peanut oil slowing your metabolism as much while you're sleeping, and also that's when the body will utilize the added protein most efficiently.

Coconut oil, on the other hand, does not slow the metabolism....as a matter of fact, it noticeably speeds up the metabolism.  This is a matter of scientific fact that I have actually experienced myself.  I been using it during the winter since I moved up north, and have noticed a dramatic increase in my ability to tolerate cold weather on the days that I dose up before leaving the house.  It has increased my cold tolerance so well, that the yankees natives think that I am crazy because of my lack of the usual winter attire.   
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 01:05:58 AM by special-k »

Offline Grudgie

• Committed prepper
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 12:50:28 AM »
So, does your mistrust come from actual research and years of personal use?

No I have never used the stuff. I was just being facecious. Lighten up sparky.

Yes I do use the all natrual smuckers peanut butter the only ingredients being peanuts and salt. To me it is preferable to make something out of common home ingredients. And I don't like the idea of my only food being a liquid for some reason, though I admit I probably do not have the same nutritional knowledge as you Special K. You can also mix it with milk and refrigerate it to make little protien bars.

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 12:25:37 PM »
I forget the brand but they make individual single servings of peanut butter, hazelnut butter and almond butter, plain, honey or chocolate. All sold in individual foil packs.

They also sell tuna and chicken salad all made up in sealed foil packs.

I would also look into Pemican, it is essentially beef jerky mixed with fat.

EDC/BOB food stuffs is a hell of a thing to think about because we need nutritious whole foods that are also easy to prepare, carry and clean up after.

Another issue guys don't think about that often is can you eat it on the move or does it pin you down to cook it?

I would say that MREs are the ideal solution but that is just wrong wrong wrong. MREs are too heavy from the ground up and contain too many ingredients that I can't pronounce.

[/ramble]

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 12:37:01 PM »
Looking for something that I don't need to stop and cook and can keep moving. Oddly enough, I've never used them, but what about something like PowerBars? Assuming they are a basic staple for alot of people.

Offline mountainredneck2051

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 12:45:45 PM »
there is a youtube channel maineprepper
if you dont watch his shit you really should

but here is a playlist of his rations/bugout bag food vids
he knows his shit
Bursting bubbles since 2013

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 12:57:01 PM »
there is a youtube channel maineprepper
if you dont watch his shit you really should

but here is a playlist of his rations/bugout bag food vids
he knows his shit
Thanks! Will check his stuff out. I really need to get my YT prepper list sorted out better. Didn't even have him in there.

Offline mountainredneck2051

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 01:09:44 PM »
oh fuck me i forgot to get the link up
Prepper WROL BUGOUT DATREX rations DO NOT BUY

LRP freeze dried rations Prepper and WROL SURVIVAL SHTF and BUGOUT
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 01:11:47 PM by mountainredneck2051 »
Bursting bubbles since 2013

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 01:34:38 PM »
Yup...Datrex is total shite!

Offline EJR914

• Hardcore Prepper
    • EJR914 Youtube Page
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 11:47:15 PM »
I would also look into Pemican, it is essentially beef jerky mixed with fat.

+1 on the Pemmican!  I buy that shit where ever I can find it.  Its delicious as well.