Author Topic: flameless cookers  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
flameless cookers
« on: January 17, 2018, 10:54:34 PM »
Hello all, i could use some help.

I'm looking for a cooking method that:
can be stored in a car (heat and cold resistant and good shelf life)
used without power
flameless
not create dangerous fumes
I want to be able to boil water for freeze dried meals and coffee.

I'm almost out of MRE heaters and looking to see what's out there.

I've been looking at calcium oxide cooking sets and wondered if anyone had tried them of knew anything about them.  I'm curious if there are any that use sodium hydroxide instead.
i found one of them watching a re-run of Shark Tank
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upWG2HywD4s

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
Re: flameless cookers
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 05:12:33 AM »
Say what? Flameless? I have two methods to heat and cook in my vehicle and both have flames. One is candles and the other is a small backpack alcohol stove. If you look long and hard, you might find something that is electric and uses 12 Volts DC. Something like that is almost certainly going to require the engine be running so you don't lose you battery charge.

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 05:39:56 AM »
thanks Pkveazey, i have a kelly kettle - it will burn anything combustible.  I'm looking for something i can use indoors.

Online Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 10:45:54 AM »
Those flameless cookers look most interesting.  Price mark is reasonable also.

I spent a bit of time looking at those and anticipate acquisition. 

Nemo

hydroheat.com

https://heavy.com/entertainment/2014/11/magic-cook-shark-tank-products-season-6-november-21-episode/
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 09:45:07 AM »
Those one burner alcohol stoves are great. Used one in my youth during my many treks. Can be used inside too. No fumes and it is easy to find alcohol even in times of TEOTWAWKI.

Here's one.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 08:28:33 PM »
Thanks JM ... it would give me more reason to carry vodka miniatures :)

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 10:10:27 PM »
i haven't been able to find any that use NaOH so i'll probably try the CaO.
I'll try it next month when i get my allowance :)

I'm looking for something to live in my car - for my get home bag and the odd shearing day, picnic or sporting event.  i want to go flameless - the process needs to be self contained (no power cord) and the fuel has to be packed with the cooking method - i need to be able to carry it in a car or on my back - i want to be able to cook 12 meals with this rig (max get home time on foot), without adding much weight.  It would be nice to have it fit in my current canteen carrier (based off a 40oz stainless water bottle).  most meals would be dehydrated for this use.

so $80 USD for 50 meals worth of cooking (pot and fuel) - total weight for the 12 meal rig would be 2Lbs for fuel and cooker (water should be available for the chemical reaction in most places).  The cost is about $1 of fuel per meal and cup of coffee.  As long as i keep the packs sealed there isn't a shelf life concern. this is about half the cost of a MgFe NaCl MRE type heater. Not quite as cheap as JM's suggestion or my kellykettle.

the fuel burns for about 20 minutes at boiling temps and another 10 at 160F then it stops reacting. it should be enough for a dehydrated meal and a cupa.

cup sized rig
https://www.magiccook.net/collections/magiccookbottle/products/50-bulk-refill-heat-packs-for-magic-cook-cup-cooker

all the cup size cookers seem to use 20g packages and this is the best bang for the buck i could find without having to make my own.
https://www.magiccook.net/collections/magiccookbottle/products/50-bulk-refill-heat-packs-for-magic-cook-cup-cooker

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 01:51:05 PM »
so i find myself at home today and tried the barocook (i got it sooner than i had hoped).
-
overall it isn't as usefull as flame but it works.
it heated 2 12oz (~300ml) to 160 F (about the right temp to drink a cup of coffee). 

you put a  oversized tea bag looking sachett into the plastic cup and add a splash of water (you know how much by using the sachett bag to measure it).  put the steel cup inside the plastic cup - they nest.  put on a plastic top and clamp it down.  The water in the plastic cup boils, heating the water in teh steel cup.  i heated water twice with a single tea bag thing.  enough for a cup of coffee and a bowl of soup or a single freeze dried meal.
the plastic cup could be held by hand (it has a plastic insulating sleeve).  steam comes out the top but no more dangerous than any type of kettle.
I like it -
it is dead simple to use.
it does want i wanted it to.
it isn't too expensive per serving.
it is lighter to carry than propane - just a touch heavier than an alcohol stove and fuel.
it will never get hotter than boiling water - this is a con.
it can run out of fuel.
the fuel won't spoil, expire or degrade - as long as the packaging remains intact.
the carrier i'm using, will hold the system and 10 of the fuel packs - each fuel pack weighs about an ounce.

i'm planning on using the barocook to heat water and use a seperate cup or bowl to make the food - this way i don't have to clean the steel cup every time.

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 01:53:55 PM »
http://www.barocook.net/eng/
i picked this brand after hitting a few hiking blogs and youtube.