Author Topic: TYT Transceivers  (Read 714 times)

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
TYT Transceivers
« on: January 16, 2018, 07:45:40 PM »
No more TYT Tranceivers for me. I lost another one today from the same cause that I lost all my others. I had a TYT 2 meter, a TYT 220, and a TYT 440 all hooked up in the house to a 60 amp power supply and every now and then I'd get a power drop for a second or two. One by one they all got their brains scrambled by power drop outs. I have a TYT 2 meter rig in each car and I needed to disconnect one from the battery so I could jump start the other car. I wasn't paying attention and didn't notice that the one I disconnected was turned on. When I reattached it, the TYT's brains got scrambled from the same thing the one's in the house died from. Well, I still have one left in the SUV and I hope I don't have another power drop while its turned on. They're great radios as long as you don't lose power while they're turned on. I've got a couple of the QYT TriBand radios and so far they don't seem to have the power dropout problem. I think I'll replace the dead one in the car with the QYT TriBand. They're cheaper but they only do 25 watts.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
Re: TYT Transceivers
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 08:53:23 PM »
Thanks PK for the info.  It's always good to get some feedback on how equipment works, whether good or bad.  I was considering one of the TYT radios for my Ural, but I'll keep looking.  I also wonder if a lot of the radios made in China are produced by one manufacturer.

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 09:05:14 PM »
Thanks, i'll second Jackalope's comment.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 01:52:21 AM »
I probably should clarify POWER DROPOUTS. Its not a transmitter power dropout. Its the kind of power dropouts you get when the lights in your house blink because the power company did something wrong. I guess the proper term would be a Negative Spike.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 07:54:54 AM »
Interesting.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 05:13:46 PM »
Yeah, those radios wouldn't last long here.  The town is on a 50 KV line, we get all kinds of voltage fluctuations.  Or we'll get an outage on a clear blue sky day.  If an auto accident takes out a power pole, then the entire village is out of power.  Ahhhh....the beauty of living in the boonies!  I would only trade it for a warmer climate, I like the remoteness.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 10:13:48 PM »
Amazon was Johnny on the spot. The QYT TriBand radio showed up on the same day my Geiger Counter showed up. I programmed it for 2 Meters, 220, and 440, and installed it in the car. So far, I'm happy with it. I have a TYT 2 Meter in the SUV and a QYT TriBand in the SUV. I've decided to just run the new QYT TriBand in the car. I have a Baofeng dual band handitalkie in the car but its just junking up the console so its got to go. The QYT's run about 25 to 30 watts on 2 Meters, about 20 to 25 watts on 220, and 10 to 15 watts on 440. My rationale for running triband radios is based on Prepping and I figure the more frequencies that I can have transceive access to, the better. If you order the QYT TriBand, you have to be careful to not order the 2 Meter, 300, 440 model. I don't know if I was just careful or lucky but all three of mine came with the proper bands. The last one said 240 to 270 on the box but when I went into Settings in Chirp it showed 220 to 270 and accepted the frequencies with no problem. I think they're a pretty good deal for $85. Part of my decision to buy it was way back when I became a Ham, the most powerful 2 Meter radio you could buy was 25 watts and they worked pretty much the same as the 50 to 75 watter's of today.