Author Topic: The Short & Long on Powerpole Connectors  (Read 726 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
The Short & Long on Powerpole Connectors
« on: January 22, 2021, 11:36:24 AM »
The Short & Long on Powerpole Connectors

I am stoked to post another article from Jackalope. This time on powerpole connectors. For you folks who do not know Jackalope, he has forgotten more than I know when it comes to transceivers and solar power. Thank you sir for writing this. I am honored to post it for you. Enjoy! JMc

In the electronics world, specifically in amateur radio, powerpole connectors have become the de facto standard for connecting power cables.  Prior to powerpoles, amateur operators used two wire trailer connectors, Molex Connectors, or Jones Cinch plugs to make high amperage electrical connections.  There was always a concern about polarity, or whether the connector could adequately handle the amperage necessary for the equipment.  In 1966, Anderson Power Products obtained a patent for powerpole connectors, which are physically and electrically hermaphroditic, eliminating the need for male and female connectors.  When properly installed, the connectors cannot cause a reverse polarity or short circuit condition.  The actual connector can be crimped, or soldered to the accompanying wire.  Make sure the positive wire is connected correct connector, usually red.  The negative wire is typically black, as should be the corresponding connector.   The Amateur Radio Relay League provides detailed assembly tips at this website.

I'm an old school ham, so I solder my powerpole connections, though I understand that crimping may be quicker.  It should be noted that there are powerpoles available for nearly any application, with amperage ratings up to 700 amps.   Typically, amateur operators will use the 15, 30, and 45 amp connectors, all of which are the same physical size.  I've used some of the higher amperage connectors on some solar system installations, they work great.  Some of the Anderson patents have expired, so we're starting to see other companies produce similar connectors, but I've found that genuine Anderson powerpoles have the best quality.

Powerpoles can be used for power distribution.  West Mountain Radio manufacturers a series of  distribution boxes which fuse each connection.  I use a West Mountain Radio Rigrunner model 4008 to power the various radios at my station.  They're available directly from  West Mountain Radio. The model 4008 has a warning tone too, if the supply voltage drop below a pre-set value.  The same company manufactures other distribution boxes with less or more connections.

Powerpole Rigrunner

Powerpole Distribution Block

A less expensive option is a powerpole power splitter.  I use some of these in my hamshack for lower amperage applications.  They're simply a less expensive method of power distribution; no fuses are involved. Here's an example.

There are powerpole mounting solutions which allow you to mount powerpoles in standard wall mount electrical boxes, or on an equipment chassis.  These mounts allow you to put powerpoles throughout a building, much like AC outlets.

Powerpole Wall Mount

There are now power cords available for many radios, which already have the powerpoles installed.  For example, here is a cord for a HF radio, requiring 6 pins. For older Kenwood and Icom radios which require 4 pins. 

There are powerpole cables cables which go from a lighter plug to a conventional powerpole, allowing you to power a powerpole equipped radio with a standard vehicle lighter outlet.

There are pre-made cables for most modern radios, so there's no need to break out the soldering iron or crimper.   Both Quick Silver Radio and Powerwex offer a wide variety of powerpoles and powerpole accessories.

MFJ offers one unique item that uses powerpoles, a battery booster.  The battery booster maintains the voltage that your radio likes to see when transmitting, i.e., 13.8 volts.  I've found that the voltage drop from my photovoltaic system batteries to my hamshack is only about a volt, but it's still enough to effect the radios when transmitting.  The booster does the job, and the radios work like they should. 

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
Re: The Short & Long on Powerpole Connectors
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 11:59:25 AM »
    Johny, thanks for editing and posting the article.  Since I wrote the article, I recently stumbled across a business run by an amateur radio operator, that produces a number of kits for powerpole distribution boxes.  The kits have gotten good reviews, and they allow you to add a personal touch to your station, so you can say, "Hey I built that."  The website is: https://k9jeb.com/OrderForm.aspx

Hey, we need a radio emoji or two!     :word:

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 12:28:05 PM »
Gentlemen, pick one.  :dancingBanana:

https://emojipedia.org/radio/
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 01:32:44 PM »
I like the joypixels one, because it's green! :fuckYeah:

Offline patriotman

• Committed prepper
  • Find me on Freezoxee - patriotman
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 03:18:50 PM »
Joypixel and emojidex

Jackalope, this article is so incredibly timely!!! I am just starting to get into powerpoles and this will be an incredible resource.
Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Psalm 144:1-2

Offline bennington.camper

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 06:11:24 PM »
I have been using the various sizes of Powerpoles for many years - some in ham radio, some in solar power, and at first crimped (with the special crimp dies) then soldered them.
A few years ago I gave up the soldering, and have never looked back - they work great.
The MFJ power product (like most of their offerings) is a knockoff of the N8XJK, TGE unit (which I have been using for a few years now also), and I think is a better unit... After all there is a reason MFJ is referred to by many hams as Mighty Fine Junk...