Author Topic: Static Build Up in Antennas  (Read 777 times)

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
Static Build Up in Antennas
« on: October 09, 2017, 07:53:10 PM »
  It's commonly known that static will build up on your antenna, especially during thunderstorm season.  However, that same static can build up during heavy rain, snow storms, or sand storms.  Here's a short, excellent video that demonstrates static build up:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwTjUW83JgQ   The front end of an Icom IC-718 blew out due to static discharge.  Now a days I leave all antenna connections off of my radios when not in use.  I also use Alpha Delta coaxial switches with static discharge/ground connections and a discharge fuse for further protection. These same methods of protecting the radio will hopefully offer some protection in the event of an EMP, or a coronal mass ejection. Anyways, the video will make you think about static charges.

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
Re: Static Build Up in Antennas
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 08:59:58 PM »
yeah, i don't think the clamping diodes would survive that kind of discharge.
cool video.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 10:38:44 PM »
What switched did you use? The Alpha Delta TT3G50 surge protectors?

A member of my club told me I absolutely needed a surge protector for my full wave 160 m antenna I am putting up in November.

Suggestions gents?
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 11:35:12 PM »
I'm the worlds worst when it comes to disconnecting antennas. I know better, yet unless I hear nearby thunder, I don't unhook antennas. However, If I do happen to unhook an antenna, I ground the tip against something before I hook it back up to a radio. I have actually seen the spark jump to ground when I ground out a PL259 before reconnecting it. Don't do as I do, because I'm an idiot. Disconnect those antennas and ground them before reattaching them. Even just a strong wind can charge up an antenna.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 04:09:08 PM »
  I use the Alpha Delta Communications Delta 4B switch.  However, I also use their Transi-Trap for some feedlines, like the one for my WX satellite antenna.  The Transi-Trap isn't too expensive, and it costs less than radio repairs.  I'm obsessive about disconnecting my antennas after the front end was blown out on an IC-718 that I had.  The video really reinforces my concerns.

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 04:26:06 PM »
So you touch those and get a cool to watch spark?

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.