Author Topic: RTO Adavance Class With Brushbeater  (Read 1268 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
RTO Adavance Class With Brushbeater
« on: October 24, 2018, 10:20:53 AM »
Well I am off Friday to Brushbeater's Advanced RTO (Radio Telephone Operator) class this weekend. I will be taking I-81 south from my AO to Roanoke, VA. then SE on Route 58 into NW, North Carolina for the class.

I have plugged in the following repeaters for my trip along the route:

Harrisburg, 147.375
Chambersburg 146.415
Winchester 146.820
Waynesboro 145.290
Roanoke/Salem 146.880
Danville 146.700

None are "linked" nor part of the ECHOLINK system.

If you are located in the area of one of these repeaters, PM me and share your call sign. I will try to raise you when I within the repeater coverage.

I will try to make a few posts while in NC at the class. A full report when I get back home. 
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
Re: RTO Adavance Class With Brushbeater
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 08:15:52 PM »
enjoy the class!

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 08:18:34 AM »
Thx Kbop...I am sure I will.

It's as cold down there as up here in NE PA though. I will not pack the shorts.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 03:50:40 PM »
    It's definitely not summer.  I didn't wear any shorts last week when I was down in TN, though it was warmer than where I am now.  We've had snow flurries all day.  Be safe on I-81, especially in Virginia.  Enjoy the class, and I'll be looking forward to your posts regarding the class.

Offline Erick

• Committed prepper
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 09:10:06 PM »
A friend of mine went to the previous one he said it was quite good.
Every day, men who will follow orders to kill you, exercise. Do you?

Offline zeerf

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 11:48:28 AM »
This class is on my list of things to get to... glad you are getting out to it!

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 02:01:02 PM »
Well I am back from N.Carolina. Boy is that one L.O.N.G. drive! The Adv. TRO class is/was totally different that the basic class.

I will do a AAR when I get a chance later this week. For the mean time, good folks (from MA., RI., PA., WV., NC., SC., VA., & TN.), good NC barbecue which I was told was better than South Carolina barbecue. I don't know  ;)

Till later in the week.

Offline zeerf

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 08:05:17 PM »
Well I am back from N.Carolina. Boy is that one L.O.N.G. drive! The Adv. TRO class is/was totally different that the basic class.

I will do a AAR when I get a chance later this week. For the mean time, good folks (from MA., RI., PA., WV., NC., SC., VA., & TN.), good NC barbecue which I was told was better than South Carolina barbecue. I don't know  ;)

Till later in the week.

looking forward to hearing all about it!

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 08:37:25 PM »

Till later in the week.

I can talk about BBQ. North Carolina BBQ is Vinegar based and most others are tomato sauce based. I live about 33 miles from NC and I prefer the Tomato Sauce based BBQ because its not so sour.

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 09:11:51 PM »
Well I am back from N.Carolina. Boy is that one L.O.N.G. drive!

If I had caught the OP I would have told you to exit 81 at 150 E in Va and go 4.5 miles to 460 turn left and go 35 miles.  A turn or 2 at about the far end and I would have bought dinner.  Or lunch or whatever considering time of day.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2018, 10:18:17 PM »
    Glad to hear you made it back safely.  Yes, it is a loooong drive.  I'll be making the trip many times next year.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 08:01:37 AM »
Thx PK and Nemo. Jackalope, yes it is a loooong drive especially when it is raining and their seems to be a back-up every 20-miles or so due to accidents. Add to that the "snow birds" heading south to Florida from Canada and parts much colder and 18-wheelers you really have to pay attention.  :suicide:

Soon, AAR will be coming.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2018, 12:10:23 PM »
AAR of this class can be found here

Offline patriotman

• Committed prepper
  • Find me on Freezoxee - patriotman
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 08:47:15 AM »

Till later in the week.

Way to leave me off the list. I knew no one liked New Jersey :P

Drive was incredibly long, and one of my rear rotors had an issue starting on I-95 in Baltimore so for four hours of driving it was as if I was driving on rumble strips. Took it back to the shop (just had new ones put on two weeks ago) and they said it was a machining defect so they fixed it for free. Thank God for small mercies....
Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Psalm 144:1-2

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2018, 08:44:41 AM »
LOL patriotman...Sorry about that one. ;-)

Offline patriotman

• Committed prepper
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2018, 09:40:38 AM »
 :chuky: :chuky: :chuky:

All good :D
Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2018, 07:22:13 PM »
CTR I81

Continuing Travel Report Interstate 81.

DO NOT TRAVEL ON IT.  Go another way.  Its about the most heavily traveled interstate other than 95 (which is mostly 3-5 lanes each way) and you will run into a tie up of some reason or another every day, often withing a couple hours drive of each.

Again-- Do not travel on I-81 if you have any other route to your destination.

Nemo

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2018, 07:24:00 PM »
Way to leave me off the list. I knew no one liked New Jersey :P

You are completely correct on that aspect of life.  And for specificity-- its NO ONE.

Nemo

Offline patriotman

• Committed prepper
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2018, 09:49:02 PM »
 :'(

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2018, 05:55:57 AM »

DO NOT TRAVEL ON IT.  Go another way.  Its about the most heavily traveled interstate other than 95 (which is mostly 3-5 lanes each way) and you will run into a tie up of some reason or another every day, often withing a couple hours drive of each.

Again-- Do not travel on I-81 if you have any other route to your destination.

Nemo

Unfortunately for me, I have to use I-81, it's the shortest and most efficient route to our other AO.  However, it does give us an opportunity to visit some prepper friends, while on the way :-).  Since this post is in the communications portion of the board, I'll add that it's important to have effective monitoring equipment on board when traveling the highway.  I regularly use an 11 meter radio (CB for those that aren't hams) which will usually give us enough of a heads up to allow us to detour.  A good scanner is helpful too.  My wife has an app on her iphone which also informs us of accidents and the location of any gendarmes.   A collection of maps and a GPS help when there are unplanned detours.  I must say that I-81 sucks because of the bumper to bumper traffic, and there always seems to be multiple accidents when traveling in Virginia. 

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2018, 04:26:20 PM »
My wife has an app on her iphone which also informs us of accidents and the location of any gendarmes.

Whats that app?

Nemo

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2018, 08:03:52 PM »
My wife says it's called WAZE.

Offline Erick

• Committed prepper
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2018, 08:31:37 PM »
I finally got another smartfone after years without one.
Just last week. An iphone 6S gifted by a collegue

It had a broken screen which I got fixed for 100 bucks.
The thumbprint IDer still worked even tho it was cracked.

Took a full day day to get all his old stuff off.. to get me a log i to the app store etc.

I Literally just installed WAZE just 2 min ago when this thread reminded me.
It's like having a map of the world in your hand that can be zoomed in and out almost at will but then again my vehicle outlet will charge it via USB.

Of course the thing is a bit powerhungry it goes from 100% charge to 50% charge in a day just sitting there.
Every single use of SIRI seems to use up 1% of battery charge.

BUt the iphone will recharge in my car so its not the issue it could be At least left-of-boom.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 08:43:00 PM by Erick »

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2018, 10:16:01 PM »
Erick, have you checked to see if you are in local or roaming mode.  Roaming will drain the battery quickly.  If you are on a provider with a tower locally you could double or triple your battery life.

Your phone could still be considering itself roaming even when using a local tower.  I learned all this myself recently.

Nemo

Offline Erick

• Committed prepper
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2018, 04:24:56 AM »
I am currently deployed as a security contractor in a foreign country and have roaming enabled.

But the phone was bought here (actually  a buddy gifted it since the screen was cracked and I had that fixed)
and uses a local SIM card.

So I dont know if being "local" that will help it avoid excessive roaming.

When its stationary next to the bed it holds charge pretty good.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 04:29:37 AM by Erick »