Author Topic: Rip Off or Reasonable  (Read 662 times)

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
Rip Off or Reasonable
« on: March 20, 2018, 12:30:09 PM »
Thoughts gents?

Nemo

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112857160337

USA Stock Zastone V10 Ham Walkie Talkie VHF UHF Two Way Portable Radio ZT-V10

2 product ratings

Price:

US $18.00
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Re: Rip Off or Reasonable
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 12:46:51 PM »
It is ONLY VHF TX/RX not VHF/UHF as advertised.

Frequen[c]ey range                                                    65MHz-108MHz(Only commercial FM radio reception)
                                                                          VHF:136MHz-174MHz(Rx/Tx)

Other than that, I have never heard of them. Oh they can't spell either.  ;)
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 03:02:31 PM »
looks like a pirated version of a knock=off.  :)
i have no idea of their quality.  it looks like it can just get over the end of the GMRS bands.

http://zastonetech.com/12-2-v10-handheld-transceivr/299619

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 04:01:32 PM »
    It does look like a Baofeng UV-5R with a modified case.  I didn't see anything about a warranty, but then again at that price it's not a priority.  Buy one and let us know how it works!

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 07:36:14 PM »
Whoa..... Wait a minute. I read the specs and it should be transceive on both VHF and UHF. They separated the VHF and the UHF (in the description) properly because VHF is 30 Mhz to 300 Mhz which would include the FM broadcast band. After reading all the specs, that thing is a UV5R with the front cover changed and the color of the buttons changed. The battery pack even matches the UV5R battery pack. $18.... Hmmmmmmm...... That's a pretty good price. If I didn't have more than a dozen UV5R's, I'd probably buy a couple of them. Then again, I've had such good luck with the UV5R's, it would be chancy to change horses in the middle of the stream. Anyone who doesn't have any form of 2 way communication would be missing a good chance by passing these up. With that said, I would always recommend buying Handie-talkies in pairs. The only problem I have with the UV5R's is that they made the front end so hot that nearby, strong signals can and do invite some intermod. Then again, the front end is so hot, that it makes receiving distant signals a lot easier.

I just looked at CHIRP and it does cover the ZASTONE V10 and the 380 Models.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 07:41:49 PM by pkveazey »

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 05:18:56 PM »
Sounds good PK.  Seems you think they are worth the gamble on purchase and they have all the capabilities needed for full spectrum HAM radio communication.

Correct?

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 08:29:53 PM »
Yep. I read the specs pretty close and I'd gamble $18 per unit on them in a hearbeat. Every feature matched the UV5R and the battery even looked identical. Of course they said the battery was more powerful than it really is. That seems to be normal in today's world.