Author Topic: QRP Matchbox End Fed Antenna 6-40 Meter  (Read 1100 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
QRP Matchbox End Fed Antenna 6-40 Meter
« on: April 28, 2017, 09:53:54 AM »
I ran across a small, lightweight, match box, end fed, 6-40 Meter antenna from the EARCH (Emergency Amateur Radio Club of Honolulu).

Well I ordered the kit Vs. the completed unit, as I wanted to build it from scratch for $40-.

Got the kit in five days from order, this past Monday and built it Tuesday night in ~ 2 hours. Once I built it I ran it along the eves of the cabin, situated North/South, hooked up an existing coax to my Kenwood HF transceiver, tuned the wire and immediately answered a CQ call from Michigan on 40 Meters.

After that contact made two more. One from Connecticut and another from Florida. Not bad from this little antenna.

Although I made all of my contacts on 40 meters, I did hear several ragchews in Spanish and English on 20 meters and several nets on 75/80 Meters.

Comparing this matchbox antenna vs. my g5rv+ from Radio Works in Virginia it was a bit noisy; however, I will remind the reader that it was loosely draped under my porch eves.  I was unable to pick up the CT. station on my g5rv+ but was with that little matchbox. I am sure the North/South situation helped with this contact.

In closing, it was so easy to build as everything came with the kit. MrsMac even contacted that it must have been an easy build as she didn't hear any cussing from me. LOL.

Check it out...I liked it! 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 09:57:04 AM by JohnyMac »
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
Re: QRP Matchbox End Fed Antenna 6-40 Meter
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 05:23:51 PM »
   End-fed antennas have become my go-to antenna for portable operations.  I originally bought one of EARCH's kits, since then I've bought the components on eBay and at Lowe's to make several more.  There were some Chinese sellers offering the kits for under $15.00.  I've given some away as gifts to ham friends.  With a tuner they'll operate on 75/80 meters, if you make the long wire 66' long.  Also, the EARCH website offers complete instructions and a list of components needed to make the end fed antenna.  It's a great antenna for the cost of the components.