Author Topic: Providing local Sherrif with FRS, MURS, and Marine radio.  (Read 1147 times)

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
Providing local Sherrif with FRS, MURS, and Marine radio.
« on: July 25, 2018, 05:12:04 AM »
I'd like some opinions on something. I've been toying with the notion of programming one of my many BaoFeng UV5R's with all the non license frequencies such as FRS, MURS, Marine, and whatever else might be useful and giving it to our local Sherrif for use in a future situation where someone needs help and they have an FRS, MURS, or Marine radio. I'm 99% sure that most police departments don't have radios that are ready to go in situations where a FRS, MURS, or Marine radio could be a life saver. We are a rural county and have two rivers, lots of swamps, and large wooded areas that a person could get in trouble and they might just have a radio that operates on one or more of those frequencies. What gags me up is what about a total collapse system when it might not be advantageous to give them the capability to listen to prepper communications. In a collapase situation, we might not want big brother keeping up with our activities. Anybody have any thoughts on this idea?

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
Re: Providing local Sherrif with FRS, MURS, and Marine radio.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 10:04:48 AM »
How many deputies will you teach to use it?

How will they know when, what channel, and who may be calling out on it?

Will one radio do any good?

How often does someone get lost in the swamp or woods with one of these in their pockets?

Initial thoughts.

Nemo

If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 11:12:15 AM »
NCScout of Bushbeater fame, is a big proponent of having a list of all of the Murs (151-154 Mhz), FRS/GMRS (462-468Mhz), and marine (156-162Mhz) frequency's at hand. You would have to buy a Chinese dual band radio like the Jetstream, Baofeng, or QYZ as they do not have a governor on what frequency you can use like the top line of amateur radio brands do.

Since most folks that visit the cabin do not have a Technician license, I hand them a BaoFeng set at 161.550Mhz. Which is the channel pilots use as they maneuver a ship in port. Not many container ships in this area of the mountains.

Now, PK I was one of the instructors who taught a Technicians class for a about 18 volunteer firemen in March. The firehouse wants to add Murs, FRS/GMRS, and marine capabilities to their EOC. They also wanted ticket holders to run the radios. The radios set-up post the instruction were volunteered to the firehouse by in part my ham radio club.

I agree with Nemo in that folks will have to be trained to use the frequencies and like already mentioned hopefully gave at least a Technicians ticket.

I hope this is what you were looking for. 
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

gadget99

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 11:33:18 AM »
Interesting subject.

Here in the UK that Ham Radio Clubs run their own local repeaters. In the past they have also volunteered to provide back up comms for the local response teams in the event of a disaster or such.

I am not sure if that is still the case now.

I do know that most of the club repeaters are built to keep running in a power loss situation for a while.

Now being on an Island the marine radio bands are in constant use here.

Cheers

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 01:51:34 PM »
My plan is to have the Sheriff keep the radio and he can decide who uses it. All policemen know how to use a radio. There are tons of hunters in our county using FRS, MURS, and MARINE handie talkies. If it can be determined what radio someone had with them, it will narrow the field. Otherwise, the Sheriff could just hit the scan button and wait for radio activity.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 05:07:30 PM »
    Some of the employees of the agency that I work for have already purchased their own personal Baofengs so that they can monitor or communicate on FRS, MURS and marine frequencies.  The radios are programmed with names, so that they know what frequency that they're actually using.  Most of them are already familiar with the different services, so they understand the limitations and regulations.  Some of them are amateur operators too, which helps in the overall scheme of things, especially when I'm trying to explain a radio specific concept.

Some of them are familiar with direct frequency input, and I've found that many LEO's and other public servants are more familiar with radios than the general public, because they frequently rely on radios. Where I'm located, cell service is spotty, so radios can be a lifeline.  I'm not too concerned about folks listening, because most modern scanners are going to allow anyone to monitor any open radio transmission.  If Big Brother wants to listen, then they will.  Use radio propagation, modes, and frequencies wisely, and you can still maintain some privacy.