Author Topic: PACE for Sunday December 8, 2019 1700-hrs Eastern  (Read 744 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
PACE for Sunday December 8, 2019 1700-hrs Eastern
« on: December 06, 2019, 06:58:55 AM »
Yes this PACE is late...Sorry.

Remember, if a frequency is being used, search up frequency to see if the net has moved. Also, I will post on this thread a change in frequency.

The propagation predictor is attached to this email.

1700 hrs eastern - Mode phone     SW Radio Frequency's 1700 hrs eastern
P= 3.967 Mhz LSB                                    3967 Khz
A= 7.184 Mhz LSB                                    7184 Khz
C= Unchainedpreppers on this thread no need to sign-up you can see as a guest
E= Text. If I do not have your number drop a dime and give it to me.

Rules of engagement:
1) Let the group know here if you are going to be attempting to join the net using this thread. DO NOT write down your
    call sign.

2) Net Control will be on the air about 15-minutes before the start of the net collecting early check-ins

3) The agenda for the first round;

> Any traffic you have to pass,
     > Weather update for your area,
     > Any local news that is relevant to preparedness that we all should be aware of,
     > Any help that you, family member, friend, needs, and
     > Offer a subject for those folks who might want to stay and rag chew.

It will be a round robin net starting with the first person who checks in and going around to all in order
      of checking in back to the first station that checked in. At that time as we go around a second time,
      you can say, "73" and go QRT. It is more important that you have an opportunity to check out your
      equipment than to hang and ragchew.

It is encouraged that if you hear someone and net control doesn't that you act as the "go-between". If
      you hear someone and I obviously do not, say "I have traffic for insert call sign here this is
      insert your call sign here". As an example: "I HAVE TRAFFIC FROM KA7FOX THIS IS KC3LRS". Because
      of propagation we will not hear everybody.

4) Invite like-minded hams that might like to participate.

5) Have fun!

Looking forward seeing ya' all on the air this Sunday.
Johnymac

« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 01:54:56 PM by JohnyMac »
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
Re: PACE for Sunday December 8, 2019 1700-hrs Eastern
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 09:50:59 AM »
I plan on participating.  My HF dipole is finally where I want it to be, without obstructions.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 10:10:38 AM »
Tooooo cooool!
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 01:03:16 PM »
I just went and rechecked propagation and 80-meters at 1700-hrs tomorrow will be PERFECT! I hope to see ya' all on the air.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 01:56:07 PM »
40-meters will be open too at 1700-hrs tonight. So I have changed the Alternate to 40-meters, 7.184Mhz.

Nothing like a last minute change to get your attention  :facepalm:

Offline Flash

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 04:38:35 PM »
I will try to check in as well.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 04:49:28 PM »
Moved to 3.971. Someone on 3.968 Mhz

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 05:47:17 PM »
Great net tonight gentlemen!

We had six participants including myself. Stations RX/TX ranged from 4/5 to a 5/9 on RX. The folks in TN. were in and out of the noise. We have to figure that one out.  ;)

It would be great if each station on the net tonight would give a signal report when you get a chance. We earn by doing. Nobody form NY or NH tonight. Hopefully all is good in those area's.

I asked a question of the folks on the net tonight. For you folks who want to practice your digital skills, I am proposing we do a once a month digital net. I would schedule it for once a month, probably the fourth Sunday of the month. Thoughts? It does not need to be a Sunday.

Last, I want to reiterate that this net is first, for you to try out your setup once a month. Then it is to pass along information that others would find important; weather, family news, politics, etc. And last, it is to connect (Network) with others. If there is a man made or natural disaster, we/you  would have a connection to a member that might be able to help out if needed.

73 & God Bless,
JMc

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 06:57:21 PM »
I was glad that I was able to join the net tonight. It was good to see more than two or three people participating. I'm going to suggest something that will make some of you think I have lost my mind. My main antenna is 160 dipole and it works quite well but I have found that when I work 80 meters, I have great success using a $20 vertical Hamstick that's 30 feet up the tower and mounted to a boom about 7 feet out from the side. I also have one for 40 meters but I amnot using it right now because 40 does great on the dipole. Its just something to consider if you aren't getting the performance that you think you should be getting, and it only cost $20.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 10:16:03 PM »
     I could only hear Johny, PK, the 3 station, and the KD4 station.  I would say Johny was 37 to 58-9, his signal was mixed in with my noise level.  The other three stations were 59, and the KD4 station was 59+10-20.  The KD4 station and I were able to have a good QSO after the net, and signals were very good, and I learned some things to watch out for weather-wise in my vicinity.

I'd be interested in the digital net, though it's been a while since I've played with digital signals.  Any idea as to what mode would be used?

PK, that's a good idea about the vertical.  I've got a vertical here that I should have tried tonight.  Maybe next month I'll remember to try it.

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 08:17:26 AM »
I think i need to troubleshoot my SDR, plenty of signal - couldn't ID any of you.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 10:10:17 AM »
Kbop, does your SDR do SSB (Single Side Band)? The reason I ask is we were TX and RXing in SSB.

Great idea PK. Great chatting with you on the net. You were coming in here 5/8-9.

Offline Americana

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2019, 10:48:40 AM »
I was barely able to hear, was trying filters to clear it up but had 4db noise level. 
Will work on learning filters for voice, I am mostly a Js8 guy.

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2019, 11:12:44 PM »
Kbop, does your SDR do SSB (Single Side Band)? The reason I ask is we were TX and RXing in SSB.

Great idea PK. Great chatting with you on the net. You were coming in here 5/8-9.

Yes, the SDR is Rx only - I ran 25MHz to verify SSB, it was working - i had noise problems - i have it set up to run a DC to daylight scan tonight to see if i have spurs on the LNA or local EMF.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2019, 03:45:07 AM »
KBOP, I'm only somewhat familiar with SDR's. I considered buying one that plugs into my computer like a Thumb Drive. There were two types that I looked at. One had a rubber duck antenna attached and that was a real joke for listening to HF stations. The other had an SMA connector on it for running coax out to a real antenna system. I gave up on it because I already have two HF radios and I was just looking at them because I was curious to see if they also transmitted. I don't know what you are using for an antenna. Is it a full size outdoor antenna?

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2019, 08:03:39 AM »
SDR's are a hobby for me.  I'm using the guts of a broken lower frequency spec-an (R&S FSH).  The LNA was also scavenged - one per feed.  Definitely a Frankenstein's monster.  I tried to adapt it to RF RX - i have been able to do it before.  my most common app is as an energy recorder.  it scans for a threshhold in dBm and records IQ data when it hits.  I have an attic mounted ladder and a discone.  works great VHF (discone) but my ladder impedance match isn't where it should be.  My LNA is in the attic - breadboard sits in the basement and it spools IQ data to a server.  when i want to listen to a freq. I spin up a VM on the server start pushing the IQ stream - or playback a saved file. 
as a hobby, its fun. 

my test last night showed high noise floor from my low needle stop, up to 10MHz.  I see more tinkering in my future.