Author Topic: New Radio Project  (Read 996 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
New Radio Project
« on: July 26, 2017, 07:12:37 AM »
I have been thinking (Over thinking actually) how to get power to the shack if the juice goes out.

Looked at running a dedicated line from the battery bank to the shack but the cost in wire (Would need 00 sized wire) was prohibitive. So I went real low tech. I am buying a group 27 marine deep cycle battery, a  smart charger, battery box, Anderson Power Poles, and an Anderson Power Pole electrical power strip.

The battery will sit under my radio table with a smart charger attached. The smart charger will keep the battery between 12.8 and 13.0 volts. I will run 10 gauge wire from the battery to the Anderson Power Pole electrical power strip with a 20 amp in-line fuse on the positive wire before the power strip.

I will switch over all of my radio's power cables to Anderson Power Poles along with pig tails to my current power amp.

Now if the power goes out I will detach the power cables from the power amp and reattach the Anderson Power Pole electrical power strip. Viola! I am back in business. 

When the battery drops down to 12.5-12.3 volts I will switch it out with one of my existing batteries that are being charged via a solar panel or add it to the daisy chain of existing batterys for a day or two. 

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
Re: New Radio Project
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 07:25:42 AM »
If my generator fails, I plan to use my automobile to recharge my battery backup. You can use the automobile to power your radio system if you don't mind the car setting there idling while you talk on the radio. My wife thinks I should buy a second generator as a backup. She's right but I'm not going to do it. I've also got a 500 watt inverter and a 1000 watt inverter that I can use in pinch.

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 09:40:12 AM »
JM,
make the power close to the shack?
redundancy for other uses - make it portable for field days - is wind, water or solar an option?  if all else fails sterling engine or peltier junctions might help, all you need for that is a franklin stove or even a burn bucket like a rocket stove.

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 09:48:12 AM »

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 06:22:25 PM »
Another easy power producer is using a tape drive motor connected to an exercise bike using a V-belt.  It's very low tech, and in theory the device should be capable of producing 30-50 watts, and it's one way to lose some pounds!!

Offline voyaginator

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 11:09:10 AM »
from the battery to the Anderson Power Pole electrical power strip

Yep! Same here  Using Anderson Power Pole https://goo.gl/F2LJdQ  Recently got a bulk package  :fuckYeah: Better price, Good connection, easy to setup I like it   :trolling: