Author Topic: New old Radio Day  (Read 811 times)

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
New old Radio Day
« on: October 13, 2018, 10:15:41 PM »
I went to fellow Hams house today. He has a ton of electronic parts and stuff that he's trying to get rid of. When I was leaving he gave me an ICOM IC R7000 (25Mhz to 2Ghz) receiver in the original box with the additional remote control. Those receivers cost $900 back in the 80's and the matching remote control was $70 extra. He didn't want it anymore because has the later R9000 that receives from nearly zero to 2 gigahertz. Then he gave me an old Midland 23 channel CB that has SSB on it. Then he gave me a Variac adjustable voltage transformer. Then he gave me an Oscilloscope. Oh, and a high quality 4 position antenna switch. I have no idea where I'll find the space to hook all that stuff up but it sure was fun to get it home and anticipating playing with it.

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
Re: New old Radio Day
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 09:37:08 AM »
 :D
Christmas came early this year!

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 06:18:46 PM »
I can use the CB.  I know how to transmit on one of them.   ;D  I had one a week or so short of forever ago.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 08:22:30 PM »
Well, last night I hooked up the R7000 receiver and tried it out. That thing is a serious receiver. Its going to take me about 6 months to figure out how to use all the features. Then I hooked the Variac up to 125 volts and measured the AC output voltage and it was adjustable from 1 volt up to about 160 volts. Then I cleaned all the grime off of the Midland SSB CB. I hook it up later and give it a try. He told me it still works, so that would be nice if it does. I still need to Ohm out the antenna switch to make sure all the outputs have continuity. Oops, its 8:30. I better get off of here and warm up the HF rig for the TAPRN(preppers) net at 9pm.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 10:13:32 AM »
To cool pkveazey! I need someone to give me cool stuff like you got too.  ;)
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.