Author Topic: Need Some Radio Help (QRP/CW)  (Read 1617 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Need Some Radio Help (QRP/CW)
« on: December 15, 2016, 09:45:50 AM »
Okay here's the deal: I want to pick up a QRP/CW transceiver to use as a back-up transceiver.

I remember that the hero in James Rawles novel, Survivors used one to communication via CW half way around the world only using 5 watts or so. I searched and searched for the book but I couldn't find it. I think I may have loaned it out however it has not been returned. So rather than buy a new one (Yes I am cheap) I emailed Rawles asking for the brand/model of the aforementioned transceiver. Surprisingly, he got back to be the same day with an answer.

It was a Elecraft KX2 but he recommended the Elecraft KX3 as it covered, 160-6 meters (2 m with KX3-2M module), SSB/CW/DATA/AM/FM modes. Well I looked it up and if I wish to part with $2,300- I could own one.    :lmfao:

I then went to look at the price for the Elecraft KX2 and that radio was $750- OUCH! Still out of my means.

I could go with a bigger (Heavier) radio like the Icom IC 706 Mk II (Used $500-) but then I would have to buy a tuner too so extra $$$ and weight.  :facepalm:

My budget can not exceed $200- and although 10-80 Meters would be great, I would accept a QRP/CW transceiver that could only handle 20-40 Meters or 40-80 meters.

I am not adverse to building my own either. Would be fun.

Suggestions?
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
Re: Need Some Radio Help (QRP/CW)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 06:27:46 PM »
Do a search on Ebay for a QRP transceiver, you'll probably see a wide range.  In the $400 range you probably could get an early model Yaesu FT-817 .  I have a FT-817 for portable operations, it's a versatile radio that covers HF, VHF and UHF.  If I remember, after the holidays I'll put up some photos of my portable set-ups.

Another Yaesu radio which I've had experience with is the FT-7, which is 10 watt HF rig.  I've seen them on ebay in the $200 range.  They are a simple radio, easy to use, but efficient. 

MFJ makes a multitude of QRP radios, and I've had good luck with them.  I have a 9475 and a 9440.  Again they're simple one band radios, I like them because the radio, a small power supply and a wire antenna will all fit in a typical ammo can.  They're basic enough, that you could give them to someone with limited radio experience, and they could get on the air.  The 94XX series are perfect for camping.  However, they do cost a little more than your budget, and they're limited to just one band.

There's a multitude of kits available, mostly geared towards CW operations, but there's a few that do operate on SSB and the digital modes.  Among these types of kits are the Heathkit HW-7, HW-8, and HW-9 CW transceivers.  The HW-7 is the ost basic, and you should be able to find one in the $100 range, and HW-8's in the $150 range.  I have a HW-7 or 8, I'd have to check, it resides in another one of my camping ammo boxes.  I do loan that out, along with the MFJ QRP radios, to newly licensed hams, so they can get some HF experience.

I've built a few CW kits including the Lectrokit Spider CW kit.  Most of the kits do require basic soldering skills.  I would hesitate to purchase a kit used, because you don't know how well it was assembled, and this applies to the Heathkit QRP radios too.  I've been looking at this QRP SSB 75 meter kit: http://www.qrpkits.com/survivor.html    Maybe Santa will surprise me!

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 11:40:16 PM »
???????? Hmmmmm.... Here's a novel idea. Just do what I do and turn the power down to less than 10 Watts. As to qrp rigs, most folks in the past built small straight key CW rigs from junkbox parts and used whatever old receivers they happened to have for listening and determining what frequency they were transmitting on. I will admit that transmitting a SSB signal is a whole lot more fun. I swapped out two crystals in a SSB Citizens band radio, retuned it for max power on 10 meters, and was able to contact Australia on 12 Watts PEP. I also put it in my car and contacted Portugal while sitting in my driveway. Hmmmmm....I wonder what happened to that radio? I don't remember selling it. That radio was 40 channels and I tied the clarifier to the transmit so I would have pseudo continuous tuning. Ahhh... The good old days when I would try anything just see if it would work.

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 08:00:13 AM »
Tunnel and skip :)
-
 :cheers:

Offline lewisp

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 08:47:09 PM »
Late to the party here,but are gou skilled at CW?look at LNR Precision and their MountainTopper series.
Small, light,easy on power, last forever.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 08:50:27 PM by lewisp »

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 09:01:05 AM »
Thx Lewisp!

I did look at Mountain Topper however my CW is around 5 words a minute. My fault nobody else.

MrsMac and i went to the Dayton/Xenia ham fest last year and I got a great deal on a new Yaesu 817 nd from HRO. I think it was $499- shipped to my house for free. Anyway that is what i have been using for my QRP radio since then.

It took me most of the summer getting use to it though. I am pretty good with it now though.

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline lewisp

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 11:08:26 AM »
I LOVE the 817 radio.  ALL BAND is what sold it for me, perfect for the mobile comm stations. My KX-2 is the ultimate in small and portable, but no VHF on board is a compromise for sure.
 My code work is 10 WPM on a good day. Sometimes I can send a little faster, but not on most days. I use a paddle mostly, straight key requires too much focus for me to ever get anything sent with any readability. Do you ever practice with the W1AW code files? They help me a lot for practice. I try to do some as often as possible.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 01:25:27 PM »
Never used W1AW thx for the tip.  :cheers:

Same road just different gear...I can send easily 10 WPM it is receiving I am having a problem with. My brain is programmed to convert the code to english rather than just allow the code to pass through my brain and i write it down. Another ham who is 20+ words a minute suggested that I record some code and just listen to it on long road trips for 30 minute intervals. He said once I pick up on the rhythm I will be good. 

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 08:07:28 PM »
Back when the Extra class license required 20 wpm proficiency, I used a cassette tape that was produced by 73 magazine.  Actually, I think it started at 20 wpm and progressed up to 25 wpm. I see Gordon West produces some higher speed audio CD's that are similar: https://www.amazon.com/High-Speed-Commercial-Course-10-28/dp/0945053711/ref=pd_sbs_14_29

Offline lewisp

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 09:57:54 AM »
Thats the beauty of W1AW. Such a great resurce.
You can do code practce with an MP3 recording of code at any speed from 5 to 40 WPM, then look at the text file of what was just sent, to see how well you did. I always seem to be able to send faster than I can copy, at least for now