Author Topic: Need some advise  (Read 801 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Need some advise
« on: December 09, 2020, 11:42:38 AM »
I want to update my HF transceivers to TX on all frequency's. What is the procedure to do this. Rumor has it that Giga parts does this service.

Thx
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
Re: Need some advise
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 01:00:17 PM »
I found a method on the internet to cut my ICOM 718's loose. It was teeny weeny tiny work to unsolder 2 of those damn little surface mount diodes. Mine will now transmit from about 1.6 Mhz all the way up to 30 Mhz. I had to cut mine loose because I didn't have the WARC bands. I think there might be some references to where to look on the ARRL website or one of the other radio related websites.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 02:55:06 PM »
  Just do a search with the model number of your radio and the words mods or modifications.  It most cases you can find either a youtube video or explicit instructions with good photos detailing the process.  As PK indicated, in most cases, you just need to remove a small component or clip a wire.  You'll need good glasses or a magnifying glass, and a fine point wire cutter.

Some of the manufacturers are very accommodating, and have published service bulletins which detail the modifications.  In fact some manufacturers, i.e., yaesu actually provide an access hole in the radio chassis to allow easy access for removing the necessary component.  Gigaparts will do the mods on newly purchased radios, I'm not sure if they'll do it for all radios. Mods.dk is one place that has many, many detailed explanations.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 02:56:55 PM »
Thank you gents. Just what I was looking for.  :cheers:
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 06:28:03 PM »
In the past, I've printed out the modifications for the various radios here.  So, if the net goes down, the information can be readily accessed to make the mods.  I'm sure you're more than capable of doing the modifications, Johny, you won't have any trouble.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2020, 10:29:13 AM »
Thx Jackalope.

I reached out to GiGaParts and they told me they would do the mod. I boxed up my TS-590 and sent it off to them yesterday.

Total cost, mod plus shipping back, $73-.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2020, 11:10:26 AM »
     Great!  It's best to get it done before spicy times.