Author Topic: Amature Radio Unchainedprepperts NET, Mar 11, 2018?  (Read 1600 times)

Offline bennington.camper

• Prepper
Re: Amature Radio Unchainedprepperts NET, Mar 11, 2018?
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2018, 08:31:47 PM »
BC look at 40 meters for me. Things were good there earlier. If you find a clear channel send it to here. Thx JMc
Looks like WI QSO party is eating up the band

• Prepper
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2018, 08:33:31 PM »
Try 7.279MHz

Online JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2018, 08:34:53 PM »
I agree man. i will try 7.279
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

• Prepper
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2018, 08:41:40 PM »
Well, I got nothing...
We tried - I guess it just wasn't in the cards this week.
Hopefully we can try it again.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2018, 08:43:33 PM »
I made a few calls on 7.279 too, I'm not hearing much except static.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2018, 08:47:37 PM »
It's funny how the band was good just before the net, and then it just switched off.  I'm getting a broadcast station on 7.279 now.

Online JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2018, 08:56:55 PM »
Well gentleman the net tonight was a bust, at least up at my AO as well as my buddies north of me (Jackalope). Hopefully some of you were able to connect south of the M/D line. Not unlike the comms in Marcus Lattrell and his teams Recon.

Thank you to all who participated. Now comes the fun part, Lets all learn from what went poorly.

Obviously the band just dropped out after 2000 Hrs. EDT (0000 Hrs UT 3/12). From 1900 Hrs. till 2000 Hrs. EDT, I was chatting with folks on 40 & 75 meters with no issues including Jackalope. For all intents and purposes we were 'good to go.' 

Besides the propagation issue, what could we have done better the next time we try this? As NCScout says, "I am wearing fire retardant pants". All comments will help us in a SHTF period.

Comments?

« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 09:17:25 PM by JohnyMac »
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Double D

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2018, 10:13:27 PM »
I followed the PACE and that was a good one. Still, nothing worked. I was able to get a cq and callsign to one of us near Richmond using CW well after the net time on 80m. Lots of noise and not much to be heard here in Norfolk otherwise. That isn't always the case of course. Brushbeater mentioned CW working when nothing else will and he seems correct in this case. I think we should all have a PACE plan that includes digital and if all else fails CW, for radio work. I admit I lean on the fldigi program for that too. None of my other digital modes seemed to work tonight.
   I checked the critical frequency on the space weather site and it showed about 6mhz at our location. I tried on 60m with my buddy, no joy either.
   Using Signal app seems to work better for me as a chat method. That allows instant response to band changes for the group.

Offline wynnp4

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2018, 06:42:49 AM »
We tried.. I ended up bowing out early due to family obligations... IE screaming tired kids...  The band was dead for sure.  I think that Double D.. has the right idea.. I think including CW in the pace plan is solid.  With programs like FLDIGI we don't need to be key masters. 

CW is high on my "Want to learn" but is low priority due to life..  We can keep trying and hope we can get a day that the band is willing to allow us to make contact.  I know I am limited due to a NVIS antenna set up.. but I do know that the group I have been working with has had solid luck with Digital comms... 

Good effort though.... there is always next time!

WP

Online JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2018, 09:40:48 AM »
Great comments gents!

Yes even if you are not a CW-er (Is that a word LOL) using FLDIGI you can TX/RX CW using that programs decoder.

I hear ya' on learning code wynnp4, its all about time but more about commitment.

A much more experienced ham than I, a few more amateur radio years under his belt suggested the following.

Down load random CW conversations and just play them for 30 minutes a day for a couple of weeks while you drive around. No need to understand what the QSO is about. Then down load a free CW app for your phone and jump in. Us the CW APP while waiting at...Dr. Waiting room, stop lights, line at Starbucks, etc....

He swears that learning CW is half learning the rhythm and then half is understanding the code. So start out learning the rhythm and then move onto learning the code (Phone APP). Within a month you will be at 10 WPM and if you keep at it, by month two, you will be at 20 WPM.

Of course, I never took his advise but last night proved to me I need to get 'cracken' and try his technique.

Keep the enhancements coming.

Offline wynnp4

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2018, 11:06:47 AM »
I may try that method... I spend 10+ hours a day in a tractor during certin parts of the year...  I am a huge podcast and Audiobook listener.... This might work!

WP

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2018, 04:12:17 PM »
     I think one of the lessons from the poor band conditions is that sometimes it will be impossible to communicate via radio, no matter the frequency, transmit power or mode.  In a localized situation it may be necessary to use runners or messengers to physically carry messages.  In regards to long distance communications, it may be necessary to simply wait until band conditions improve and meet at a pre-arranged time and frequency.  For example, seeing that the band died just before 8 p.m., on the following day move the net up an hour and see if there are improved conditions.  If it was urgent, then try on an hourly basis, say five minutes after the hour, again on a pre-arranged frequency, until contact is made.

Offline zeerf

• Prepper
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2018, 06:06:45 PM »
     no matter the frequency, transmit power or mode. 

As Double D mentioned I think it would be worth having a go at digital modes/cw as backup or even another scheduled net if anyone would be up for it. But agreed sometimes specially in 1 static time window in one day things may not be ideal and local runners or even local field phones in your direct area. The downside is the digital requires more hardware (computer or tablet/smart phone) but seems to work well.

anyone have a bunch of pigeons? :)

Online JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2018, 07:19:30 PM »
zeerf wrote, "anyone have a bunch of pigeons? :)"  :lmfao:

NCScout is doing a RTO Class Friday night and he wanted to know if some/all of us could give it a try again. I asked him to suggest a time and Freq. If you folks are game, I will end this discussion and start a new one along with a revised SOI.

On another note: As per the Contingency through our P.A.C.E I went to 160-meters. Well my tuner wouldn't tune the antenna.

Upon checking out the base of my antenna today, I noticed a lot of bovine hoof prints in the snow, one wire pulled out of its connector, and a chewed antenna wire.  Mmmmmmmm?

As I was bringing in firewood for tonight, my neighbor stopped by to say "hey."

I mentioned the minor damage to my antenna and he chuckled and said, "As you know while you were in NC we had a blizzard with 24" or so of snow. I guess the cattle got out looking for greener pastures. Nervous chuckle...chuckle".

"Guess so" I said.

Anyway, it was my fault for not checking my equipment before the net, not the Scottish Highland cattle.

Learn and move on.  ;)

Dorton

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2018, 08:47:06 PM »
I was going to try to jump in, but didn’t have anything ready for 80m.
Whipped up a dipole from scraps, got it 30ft up and checked it with my analyzer
and remembered why it was all scraps.

Wish I’d thought about needing more material while at the Charlotte Ham Fest on Saturday.

I’ll try to get another ready for the next go round.

Online JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2018, 10:13:39 AM »
@Dorton, maybe this Friday as NCScout would like a bunch of us to be on the air for his class. Once I get the info from him and check out the propagation charts, I will post a SOI.  ;D