Author Topic: JohnyMac NVIS Home Brew Build  (Read 711 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
JohnyMac NVIS Home Brew Build
« on: November 13, 2018, 12:49:50 PM »
Attached is a short article I wrote on my trials and tribulations of my NVIS antenna build. Once a get a free minute I will convert so it can be read in its entirety on this site. Enjoy
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 12:54:47 PM by JohnyMac »
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
Re: JohnyMac NVIS Home Brew Build
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 03:49:20 PM »
    Good article Johny, very succinct.  Is this the same antenna that's set up at your QTH?

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 01:17:55 PM »
Yes it is Jackalope. I also took it to NC Scouts class a few weeks ago.

Using his loaner CTX-10 transceiver at 10 watts I was able to connect with N1MM in CT. N1MM is the logging hardware that many folks use for contesting. NC to CT, ain't bad.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline patriotman

• Committed prepper
  • Find me on Freezoxee - patriotman
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 02:27:06 PM »
Yes it is Jackalope. I also took it to NC Scouts class a few weeks ago.

Using his loaner CTX-10 transceiver at 10 watts I was able to connect with N1MM in CT. N1MM is the logging hardware that many folks use for contesting. NC to CT, ain't bad.

Yeah that was pretty cool!
Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Psalm 144:1-2

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 04:28:06 PM »
I thought those things could talk across the ocean or from NY to CA and such.  I mean way far away places.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 05:28:25 PM »
I thought those things could talk across the ocean or from NY to CA and such.  I mean way far away places.

Nemo
    They can, it depends upon the frequency and the antenna.  The antenna that Johny is using is made to specifically allow for relatively near communications, i.e., distances less than 300 miles.  A NVIS antenna is difficult to find using direction finding techniques, so it's a good antenna for local or regional communications, but it's frequency dependent too.  There's a lot more to communications than turning on a radio and hooking up an antenna.

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 05:50:44 PM »
I was hoping only a string and tin cans.  I need to do some learning on this stuff.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline patriotman

• Committed prepper
  • Find me on Freezoxee - patriotman
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 05:56:06 PM »
I was hoping only a string and tin cans.  I need to do some learning on this stuff.

Nemo

:lmfao:
Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Psalm 144:1-2