Author Topic: January 2023 ERIN SOI  (Read 1303 times)

Offline Sir John Honeybucket

• Committed prepper
Re: January 2023 ERIN SOI
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2023, 09:20:42 PM »
Good SSB net tonight, despite the usual troglodytes who started blabbing 2 KHz down, clearly interfering with the ongoing net.    :pissed:    Voice is fine, but digital does the heavy lifting. In our[personal]  weekly sked, Cooter was using his MIGHTY 4 Watt CW QRP rig and it was easy to write down his message/ ERIN report so that I could pass it on to ERNI net control station.  His radio fits in a shirt pocket.

73 de Sir John Honeybucket

« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 09:22:38 PM by Sir John Honeybucket »
Defender of the Garden
                &
Tapper of Morse Code

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2023, 10:16:32 PM »
   At my QTH, the QRM wasn't as bad as the QRN.  We have a front approaching, which seems to be generating a lot of atmospheric noise.  I was able to copy some of the net, but it was tough.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2023, 10:37:31 PM »
Good digital and phone net tonight.

Digital
Two check-ins from PA and VA each
One check-in from NC, NJ, and NY.
One relay from FL.

Phone
Three from PA
Two from VA
One from TN and FL.

K3AT showed up to walk across my keyboard during the digital net which caused a hiccup and he reappeared after being scolded to lay across my transceiver only to poke a couple of buttons and change all my setting's on my new radio.

I spoke gruffly to him and then MrsMac told me to stop picking on the cat.  :facepalm:

Life at the redoubt.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 10:39:05 PM by JohnyMac »
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2023, 01:30:05 AM »
I was glad to ACCIDENTALLY get my radio to transmit on the digital net tonight. I've still got a ways to go before I will trust it to work properly. As for the Phone net, I was sure glad that I have an IC 7300 because There was a heterodyne right on top of the frequency and I played around with the NOTCH FILTER controls and killed it. Then there was the jerk that was just above us who was WAAAAYYYY wider than his allotted 3 Khz. I had to play with the IF shift to filter him out and all was well with the world. Now, I was glad to hear someone comment on Johnny's audio because I hate to be the complainer. Yep, Johhnny, you still need just a little more treble on your TX signal because it did sound like you were getting a bit of Proximity Effect from crowding the mike. Proximity effect usually is very noticable on Dynamic mikes and the closer you get to them the more boomy the bass gets. However, You said you were using a headset mike and those are usually Electret Condensor Mikes and the proximity effect is usually not nearly as noticeable. Backing off the mike a little bit did help but there still was no top end edge to your audio. If there was no noise, no heterodyne, and no splatter, it would have sounded great as a conversational audio setting. In my old age, I'm getting more and more lazy so I hope I have enough gumption to try to get my digital working propery and my time out issue resolved. :facepalm:

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2023, 07:57:22 PM »
gREAT SIGNAL TONIGHT ON 3.964 mHZ
SEE YOU ALL THERE
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2023, 12:51:40 AM »
Dammit, Dammit, Dammit.......... I got the Digital Problem all taken care of and was going to strut my stuff on the net tonight. I was tired and took a nap. Oh, crap...... I woke up at 8:45. Well, I guess I'll have to wait until next week. :faint:

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2023, 09:11:38 AM »
 :lmfao:

Yeah, the phone frequency was pretty good last evening. Oh well, shit happens.  ;)