Author Topic: Icom IC-7200/Radio Go Box/Emergency Comms  (Read 4400 times)

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
Icom IC-7200/Radio Go Box/Emergency Comms
« on: December 31, 2016, 10:38:32 AM »
   The Icom IC-7200 is a ruggedized  HF + 6 meters radio that was frequently used for emergency communications because  it is weather resistant. It was discontinued earlier this year because Icom could no longer obtain certain components.  The radio was  in high demand because preppers and emergency services personnel respected and preferred the radio.

It seems that Icom has redesigned the radio using available parts, though the specifications will stay the same, and it should be once again available in 2017.  Supposedly the sales price will be under $1000.  Used IC-7200's have been selling in the $1300-1500 range, and new they were selling around $800, so you can see there is a high demand for the radio, after it was discontinued.

I have a couple of the IC-7200's, one for a base station, and one in a go box portable communications center.  IC-7200's can connect directly to a computer through a simple USB cable for digital communications.

I've attached a couple of photos of my portable communications box, which is a military surplus ammo box.  Inside is the IC-7200, a MFJ Versa Tuner II, a Radio Shack HTX-252, and a DC power supply, with external DC connections.  I have a couple of outboard DC power supplies.  The one DC power supply is one that I constructed using a smaller ammo box, with a solar charge controller and a sealed lead acid battery.  I have a couple of solar panels that can be plugged into the power supply and then in turn plugged into the communications box.  I also have a Renogy portable power center, which is a briefcase size unit with solar panels built in.  It can provide 12 volts DC, two USB charging ports, and AC power via a built in inverter.  I've attached a photo of that unit too.

I have a variety of antennas available for the communications box.  There are two SO-239 connectors on the box which are capped with metal covers, in an effort to make the box semi EMP resistant.  For HF there is a multi-band whip antenna, or I can use a home made end fed multi band wire antenna.  For VHF there is a simple whip antenna or a J-pole antenna. 

I've used this portable several times, and it works as intended.  Oh, I also have instructions for the IC-7200 inside the box, just in case I need to refer to a manual.

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
Re: Icom IC-7200/Radio Go Box/Emergency Comms
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 12:08:03 PM »
nice rig!

is that a 3U rack?  looks like a quickly deployable set up!
 :thumbsUp:

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 01:25:02 PM »
nICE  :drool:
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 05:09:30 PM »
No, it's not a 3U rack, just a simple ammo can with the equipment mounted inside.  I did look into portable racks, but they were expensive, and they don't offer EMP protection, and I was concerned about weight too.  I may eventually go the rack route at my home station.  There are rack shelves specific for the IC-7200.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 08:44:07 AM »
Here's another web article regarding the re-introduction of the IC-7200: https://brushbeater.wordpress.com/2017/01/06/icom-7200-is-back-for-now/   I've had hands-on experience with over 20 HF radio models, and the IC-7200 is by far my favorite radio because of its capabilities, price point and ease of use.

As a side note, I recently acquired a Uniden Homepatrol scanning radio.  The radio excels in gathering local intelligence (SIGINT).  It is very simple to operate, as it comes pre-programmed, and you can upload frequency updates on a weekly basis.  You simply enter in your zip code or town name and the radio loads in the frequencies pertinent to your area, including local, State and Federal frequencies.  As I'm located relatively close to the Canadian border it loaded in frequencies for the RCMP, and Canadian maritime operators, etc.  It has frequencies that I would never considered, such as those for security companies.  It's a good way to learn about what's happening in your neighborhood.  The radio comes with a typical AC power wall wart, but a 12 volt DC power cord is also included.  I'll make sure that the radio accompanies my communications go-box in the event of an emergency situation.   

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 09:59:31 AM »
I applaud you Jackalope on having more than one Hf radio  :thumbsUp: As the old marine saying goes, "one is none and two is one" reminds us. This is why I am learning code (Morse code) and looking for a QRP/CW radio. Here, the MTR5B Mountain Topper is the one I am looking at.

Why a QRP/CW radio some of you may ask? Well they are small and run on just flashlight batteries at 5 watts. Depending on antenna, band and propagation, you can easily communicate half way around the world. Yupper, you do have to learn CW (Morse code)

I also need to save up for another "phone" transceiver too. So Jackalope, PKVE, APX, or other forum member (s), please compare the Icom IC-706 Mk II Vs. the Icom IC-7200. It seems that there a lot of 706's out there for ~$500-.

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 12:25:54 PM »
Well first a comment regarding CW, it is an efficient mode, and it can get through the noise better than phone/SSB.  However, you're limiting yourself to one mode, and there's a smaller pool of CW operators than there has been historically.  In the past, amateur radio operators had to learn CW or morse code for all classes of licenses.  When I obtained my novice license, we were required to learn code at 5 words per minute (wpm).  Later when I obtained my extra class license, the test was for 20 wpm.  Since the 90's the morse code requirement has been eliminated, so the only operators using morse code are the folks learning it specifically for their enjoyment.  There are some amateur operators that use morse code exclusively, but it's becoming rare, as operators are turning to digital communications, though morse code could be considered a digital mode. 

I have a couple of the IC-706 radios, I have one of them as a mobile radio in my Jeep, it's one of the 706 MK IIG models.  I use a plain IC-706 for my DX travels.  The 706 series radios cover HF, 6 and 2 meters.  The plain IC-706 also works on VHF, on two meters, and with a modification can operate on other VHF frequencies, i.e. marine frequencies, etc.  The IC-706MK IIG works on HF, VHF and UHF.  It also has DSP, so the receiver is not bad, certainly good enough for shortwave listening.  There are a lot of 706's available because more of them were produced than any other radio.  They're very compact, can operate digital modes with a digital interface, and they're easy to modify for MARS operations, or other unusual frequencies.  As some folks have put it, "it'll operate from DC to daylight."  I'd advise that you avoid the first generation plain IC-706, because the finals are either no longer available, or difficult to obtain.  There was a IC-706 MK II, without the G, that also operates on HF, VHF, and UHF, but at a little lower power than the G model, and no digital signal processing (DSP).  I like the 706 mobile because I can listen to 11 meters (CB), or the BBC, or the weather service, and then chat with someone on 2 meters or 75 meters, all with one radio.  The drawback to the IC-706 is that all your communications is located in one radio, if the removable display goes bad or final amplifier goes bad, then you've lost all your communications abilities.  Icom ceased production of the IC-706 series seven years ago.

The IC-7200 is a HF and 6 meters transceiver, and puts out 100 watts, like the IC-706 on HF and 6 meters.  The IC-7200 has the ability to directly interface with a computer using a plain USB cord.  The IC-7200 has a wide variety of filters built in, so the receiver is literally generations ahead of the IC-706.  The IC-7200 has a ruggedized solid chassis, and it is built like a marine radio so that it is water resistant.  It has rubber membranes around the keys and speaker, which protect the radio from water intrusion, however it is not submersible.  The IC-706 is not water resistant in any form.  Icom has essentially taken a mil-spec radio and coupled it with a marine radio to make the ultimate emergency communications HF radio, the IC-7200.

For emergency communications the Yaesu FT-817 should also be considered.  It only transmits at 5 watts, but like the IC-706, it works on HF, VHF and UHF.  It of course operates on CW and SSB, and with a digital interface it'll operate on the various digital modes.  It is very compact, smaller than the IC-706.  It is not waterproof in any form.  Because it operates on low power it's possible to use a small battery pack to operate the radio.  Mine is in a waterproof pelican box, in a faraday cage along with a power supply, antenna tuner and various antennas.  The big limitation is the 5 watts transmit power.  I have used the FT-817 mobile, and it works okay as a 2/440 mobile.  I use mine primarily for backpacking or camping trips.  Avoid the first generation FT-817, as these had a problem of self exciting themselves and burning up the final amplifier, and I know from experience, as mine was 6 weeks old when it occurred.  Yaesu came up with an improved final amplifier which was installed and it hasn't given any problems in the past 15 years or so.  The newer models are known and advertised as FT-817ND's.  I purchased an extra final amplifier board for mine, just in case.  The FT-817ND's are still in production, and there's quite a few of them on eBay, QTH.com, QRZ.com and EHAM.com used for reasonable prices.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 01:07:50 PM »
Great comparison Jackalope. Thx  :cheers:

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 12:27:03 AM »
Hmmmmmm..... I'm not sure how to respond. You pretty much have to use whatever you have available. With that said, if someone is looking for something to create a Communications Go Bag, I'd suggest maximum radio spectrum coverage and fairly low output power due to the possible non-availability of a good electrical source. As to what I have: I have a backpack loaded with an unlocked ICOM 718 (If it can hear it, it can talk to it). It has an LDG autotuner attached to the top and operates off the radios 12 volts. The backpack has a fully programmed(Ham, MURS, FRS, Marine, etc.) Baofeng dual band handitalkie with the long antenna and speaker mike, and a bunch of extra batteries(also charging station). The rest of the backpack is loaded with a digital mutimeter, every coax adapter known to man, VHF/UHF SWR/power meter, 200 feet of #14 wire for antennas, a pulley and hook, 30 feet of RG8 coax(with PL259s), a USB to radio cable in case I run into someone with an operating computer(for rig control), and some solder and soldering iron. There is no power supply in the Go Bag. I plan on alligator clipping it to whatever car or boat battery I can find. 25 extra pounds of power supply to carry around and still have to find 120 volts to operate it seems just plain stupid. As a backup, I have a dual band Baofeng handitalkie with lots of extra batteries, on every backpack and fanny pack that I own. I keep a USB thumb drive in my pocket at all times and it has all the data and software I need for Ham Radio. Is it heavy? Damn straight its heavy. About 40 pounds.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 12:32:24 PM »
Thanks PKVE  :cheers:

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 01:22:34 PM »
     Ouch! 40 pounds!  But like PK points out, you bring what you have.  My IC-7200 Go-Box probably weighs about the same including antennas and power supply.  But I have a separate power supply box with a SLA battery charge controller in a smaller ammo can,  which can bypass the regular AC power supply inside the Go-Box.  That particular Go-Box is meant to be used at a command center or a headquarters, so it would be transported by a vehicle due to its weight.

Using the FT-817 in the field is much easier due to its weight and size.  With a small tuner, various wire antennas, and a battery pack the weight can be kept down to 10 pounds or less.  The hardened battery pack that is used will work with virtually all 12 VDC radios: http://www.portableuniversalpower.com/revolt-g2/   I have the first generation of the Revolt, which is waterproof and crushproof and it was worth the investment.  The second generation isn't quite as durable, but it essentially a lifetime battery.  Hardened Power Systems also makes another battery pack made specifically for QRP portable operations called the QRP Ranger.  The company specializes in power systems for rugged environments.  They also make some other ham gear too.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 03:43:30 PM »
Oops.. I forgot that I also have a frequency counter in my Communications locations backpack. If I need to copy a frequency from somebody else's radio and they don't know what the frequency is, all I have to do is have them key up and I can read it in two seconds.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 01:42:15 PM »
Its time to put together a Grab and Go rig so I have been seeking advise from all avenues.

Like pkveazey, a friend used an ammo can and fitted out a GnG (Grab and Go) using the Icom 718. His reasoning was you could use the money you will save using the 718 vs the Icom 7200 for the tuner, battery pack and antennas. $450 - $550 (718) and $700 - $800 (7200) used.

They are both about the same size (10" x 3" x 10") and weight (8 lbs) so I was wondering what one radio has above the other other than water repellentcy.

Then I was reading an article in Brushbeater by NCScout who likes the Yaesu FT-817 and FT-897D for a GnG com system.

So lets also take a look at the Yaesu FT-817 and FT-897D which are a hair smaller (8" x 3" x 10") than the Icoms. Of course the 817 max is only 5 Watts while the 897 can put out 100 Watts on the HF side of the radio. They both will also handle 2 meter/70cm on up to 160 meter. They are running between $450 - $550 (817) and $650 - $750 (897) used.

Thoughts...Don't hold back!  :DrillSgt:

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 03:59:29 PM »
The Yaesu 897 is definitely the best choice between those two. It's only drawback is Yaesu menu system will make you crazy. Also, when you need the full 100 Watts, it's there for you. You can run about 15 Watts and save your battery power but still have extra when needed. The 2 meter/440 thing is a bonus. Be sure to put 3 or 4 Baofeng UV5R's in that radio go bag so you can keep up with others in your party. My family has them and knows to look for me on MURS.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 05:01:17 PM »
     It's funny that you bring this up, because I've been considering my next go-box project.  This spring I plan on building a very small camping trailer, and because of the size, I'd like to build a smaller go-box than my current one using the IC-7200, and HTX-252.  Before I forget, the IC-7200 has much better filtering than the IC-718, and it's ready for the digital modes, just a simple USB A to B cable is needed, no interface box or other interface is required, it's essentially plug and play.  I believe you would find that the IC-7200 receiver is like another generation ahead of the IC-718, especially for CW and digital modes.  I've had both radios, and the 7200 is well worth the extra money; that's what I currently use as my primary base radio, and of course I have another one in a go-box.

Getting back to the go-box, I'm considering using a FT-817, because of its size, wide receive capability, and its power demand.  I've already ordered a deep .50 cal. ammo box for the project, and it should be here later this week.  I'll use some go-box components from www.qsradio.com, including power pole connectors, meters, meter mounts, and a VHF antenna mount.  Quicksilver radio offers complete VHF/UHF go-boxes, wiring harnesses, etc.  I'm going to incorporate some of their concepts in my go-box, but hopefully I'll save some money too.  SLA (sealed lead acid) batteries and mounts are also offered, but I've been looking at Hardened Power Systems QRP Ranger: http://www.portableuniversalpower.com/our-products/qrp-ranger/ , which costs a lot more, but the battery pack is incredible, since it uses  LiFePO4 cells, which can be drawn down 99% and not damage the battery.  In fact, I'm probably going to use a  LiFePO4 battery for the trailer, because they can be recharged 1000's of times, and they weigh much less than conventional batteries. There are  mounts available for the FT-817, though it may end up being cheaper and more effective to construct my own.  Because the FT-817 only transmits 5 watts, I can use a smaller tuner as well, so I'll be using a Z-match kit, which was ordered from China for less than $15.00.  I've already constructed an end-fed zepp antenna for HF coverage(total cost around $40), and I'll use a simple quarter wave whip on VHF, since they're so broad banded.  I already have a FT-817, and but I plan on purchasing a FT-817ND for the project, because I adhere to the two is one, one is none school. 

I should note that qsradio.com mentions that the FT-817 will not fit in the ammo boxes which they offer, which is why I went with the deep .50 cal. box, it cost me hmmm $35 shipped.  I'm guestimating a used FT-817 should be in the $500-600 range, according to past sold FT-817's on eBay.  I figure another $120-150 in switches mounts, and connectors.  The battery will be $50-300 depending upon what I end up purchasing. I'm guessing the whole thing could be done on the cheap for $750, but realistically, if I do it the way I want it, it'll be closer to $1000.

So there you go... some ideas to consider.  I look at go-boxes as communications centers, but I also like to incorporate the ability to charge other items, like cell phones, Ipads, etc., so I typically plan on having a large enough battery/solar system to cover the additional loads.  The FT-817 is a relatively minor power load, because it only transmits 5 watts, that can be a disadvantage on SSB, though not so much on CW and the digital modes.  A smaller solar array of 30-50 watts should easily be able to handle the FT-817, and other loads like cellphones, Ipads, etc.  I'm not intimately familiar with the FT-897, but it is going to require a larger charging system, larger battery, larger tuner, etc.  No matter which 100 watt transceiver you go with, weight of the radio and battery are going to be a factor.  Using the FT-817 radio, and the QRP Ranger battery, the entire go-box should weigh much less that 10 lbs, and it covers HF/VHF/UHF.  The negative factor in both the FT-817 and FT-897, if you have a major problem with the radio, then you will likely lose all communications(and I've already had that happen to mine).  The nice thing about using the two Yaesu radios,  less cables, wires, and microphones.  Using the two Icoms, if you wish to cover VHF/UHF, you'll need to buy additional radios for those frequencies.  If you add vhf/uhf radios, the overall cost goes up and so does the weight of the box.

I guess you need to prioritize which features are most important for you: frequency coverage, transmit power, weight, simplicity of assembly, simplicity of use, receiver selectivity, ease of adding digital modes, availability of components, battery size, charger size, and cost.  You might want to create a chart and see which radios fit your needs and expectations.

As I get older, weight is becoming important, and I'm willing to pay to keep the weight down.  Ease of use becomes important if others are going to be using the station.  Determine which factors are most important for YOU!  I find that planning and obtaining the components is half the fun of the project.  Send pictures when you're finished!

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 09:39:46 PM »
Some great stuff pkveazey and Jackalope.

Question for you Jackalope: Why chose the 817 over the 897? At first I get the power use (5Watt vs. 100 Watt) however you can dial down the 897 to 5 Watt. Not challenging just curious as I am in the shop then buy mood.

Yeah I read you pkveazey, using the Yaesu is a challenge when it comes to the menues. Not as bad as the BaoFeng or Jetstream radios but damn close.

Great discussion gents....

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2017, 10:14:12 PM »
    Well if you choose to use CW or Digital modes(PSK31), the 5 watts should be sufficient.  Your best investment in amateur radio is your antenna.  You can be transmitting with 100 watts on one of the Buddipole antennas, and I could be transmitting 5 watts on a well matched long wire, and to a distant station we will probably have an equitable signal, or the 5 watt signal could even be received better.  The use of a well matched, long wire antenna will go a long ways in making up the difference in power, and the difference is literally just a few S units, plus there's an element of timing too.  So the use of a good antenna, and good operating habits will "trump" the use of power.  In my case, I realize that I'll be doing more listening than transmitting most of the time.  The 100 watt radios are heavier too, so why lug extra weight? 

How do you intend to use the radio?  If you're going backpacking, the 100 watt radio is going to be difficult to carry, along with a large enough battery.  The FT-817 offers more flexibility regarding transporting it and powering it, especially long term.  The FT-897 will require a larger battery and a larger solar array, if you decide to go that route.  From the size and weight, the FT-817 is more conducive to portable operations.  Plus, if I ever felt the absolute need for additional power, I could purchase an amplifier, which could be used while mobile or fixed base, and then disconnect it and leave it at home if I'm operating portable.  You can't drop off the extra weight on the FT-897 if you're going to only using 15 watts.

Here's a web article where they give some more real world examples, especially in the comments, plus it's a good discussion about both sides of the dedicated QRP rig in general: http://offgridham.com/2016/01/getting-started-qrp/      Bottom line, how portable do you want the station?  If you want true portability, go QRP.  For me, the FT-817 will be used primarily for camping, or a temporary BOL where I may have limited access to energy sources.  If I need to set up a portable communications center for a large scale disaster, then I'll use the IC-7200 go-box, because I'll hopefully be at a location that has generators or other sources of power.

Sorry for the long dissertations...

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2017, 11:02:25 PM »
Awesome comments Jackalope. Weight, size, and other considerations are important. Hence this discussions and what $$$$ I will spend on my next radio.

I also think a power amp with "5 watts in and X out " (Maybe 50 watts out) would weigh less than the extra weight of the 897 in total. Like everything in life the +/-'s must be weighed in making your decision. 

Great discussion.  :cheers:

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2017, 11:28:48 AM »
With Daytona only a week and a-half away, I have been accelerating my research.

I watched the following YT Vid that compared the power drain of the Yaesu FT 817ND Vs. the FT 857. At 5 watts both radios just sitting there receiving, the 817 drew only .3mA while the 857 drew .8mA. Doesn't sound like much however there is almost a 3X difference. When looking at TXing at 5 watts the 817 draws 1.9A vs. 4.1A of the 857 or ~ 2x the Amps used by the 817.

With all of this written I am leaning towards the 817ND due to weight and power consumption and although it is nice to reach out there and contact some one, the main purpose of the GOD radio bag will be more for listening than TXing.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 11:37:22 AM by JohnyMac »

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2017, 04:03:59 PM »
The FT-817 is a fine radio, and there's nothing on the market like it.  Considering how long it has been in production, it is still in demand.  I'll be purchasing another one for a new Go-Box before the end of the year.  I have to sell a couple of radios first :-)  The new Go-Box will be assigned to the camping trailer which I'm constructing.

I did purchase a Kenwood TH-D74A recently, and it has been a learning experience.  The Kenwood will receive the HF bands in all modes.  It is also a transceiver on 2 meters, 220 MHz and on UHF.  Plus, it is an APRS transceiver, DSTAR capable, and a GPS too.  Quite a radio in a small package.  If you're just monitoring the HF bands, it could be a viable alternative to purchasing a HF transceiver.  The April edition of QST has a review of the radio.

I'm wondering if Yaesu is going to come out with a new QRP transceiver, if so,  you'll see it first at the Dayton hamfest.