Author Topic: I'm going to do it. Yep, that right, you can't stop me.  (Read 682 times)

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
I'm going to do it. Yep, that right, you can't stop me.
« on: January 07, 2021, 08:29:03 PM »
I've just checked my finances and now that I'm totally convinced about the coming chaos, I'm planning to call Ham Radio Outlet and order a brand new ICOM, IC 7300. Can I afford it even though the economy is in freefall. You damn skippy I can. I don't owe a single soul on the planet, other than my normal monthly utility bills, and I figure that I will be spending a lot of time in front of the Ham Radios. Why shouldn't I do it in front of the latest and greatest equipment? I already know which diode to remove to make it do whatever I want it to.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
Re: I'm going to do it. Yep, that right, you can't stop me.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 08:57:53 PM »
   MTC usually has competitive pricing, as does R&L, but I see neither one has the IC-7300 in stock.  Oh well.  And yup, that diode thing works, very easy to do.  I think you'll be very pleased with the 7300, it's literally a quantum leap in ham technology.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 11:21:34 PM by Jackalope »

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 09:06:32 PM »
Awesome brother!  :dance: :dancingBanana: :cheers:

What diode are you talking about? MARS Mod?
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 09:35:50 PM »
    Yeah MARS mod.  It takes about 5 minutes or so, mostly removing screws, clip one diode, and supposedly, "Breaker, breaker, this here is Rubber Duck."  But it works great on MARS frequencies too, so I've been told.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 11:24:00 PM by Jackalope »

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 02:20:49 AM »
Yea, its the top diode in a row of about 8 or 10. It opens it up from .8 Mhz to around 70 Mhz. I just notified the wife about me ordering it in a day or two. Hmmmmm...... very minor resistance from her.  :whip: Oh, I get it,  :facepalm: she's saving up for later when she wants to blast me for no reason. :faint:

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 09:45:16 AM »
     MTC has reported supply shortages, so new radios are in limited supply.  I think MTC mentioned they won't be getting any more Icoms for a couple of months.  You'll be amazed at the difference in filtering between the IC-7300 and the IC-718.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 09:58:18 AM »
Ham Radio Outlet still has it in stock.

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=71-002065
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 04:08:47 PM »
I did it, I did it, I did it........ I called HRO and asked if they had an ICOM IC 7300 in stock. They did and I told them to send it out right away. The whole time I was ordering it I was thinking, "This might not be a good idea". Well, its too late now, I've bought it and suspect that I'm going to really like it. I never paid much attention to whether it had a built in antenna tuner because I have 2 LDG auto-tuners already. Hmmmm.... I just looked at the specs and sure enough there it was. :fuckYeah:

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 05:02:39 PM »
   Congratulations!  Yup, the antenna tuner works well, haven't had issues with it tuning any of the antennas here.  Also, it has a USB port, so no interface is required for working digital modes with a computer.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 05:06:07 PM »
Bwahahahaha..... I just saved some money. I was looking at the photo of the IC 7300 that I just ordered and I noticed that the mike input was a round 8 pin connector. I called HRO back and asked if my HEIL ICM microphone would work on the 7300. Yep, it will. Now I don't have to spend big bucks on a desk mike. :trolling: :fuckYeah:

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2021, 07:24:22 PM »
Yeahhhhhh! Congrats Brother.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2021, 12:10:47 PM »
Say what???  :what: I ordered the IC 7300 at 3 pm Friday and it arrived at 11 am on Saturday. :faint: Well, I guess I know what I'll be doing the rest of the day. :fuckYeah: I hope it works after I hook it up. :dance:

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2021, 03:35:05 PM »
Hmmmm...... I've got a brand new radio and its all hooked up and working. Now I'm just waiting for the Sunday night TAPRN net to try it out. Hey Dipwad, today is your daughters birthday and you're going to take her out to eat. :facepalm: What if you aren't back home in time. Well, crap, then we'll see what we see as the night progresses. :popcorn:

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2021, 04:34:28 AM »
Well, there was nobody doing the TAPRN net so I made a few HF contacts from Florida to New York and it worked out really well. I got my receive audio to where received audio sounds really good and I got a little help from 2 stations that helped me tune Bass and Treble on my Transmitted signal so it sound clear and natural. I'm up for most anything that might help Lobby Day.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2021, 08:43:45 AM »
Remember, we have the normal ERIN net tomorrow (Tues Jan 12th) night at 1900 hrs.

If you would like, I am free today between noon and 1500 hrs if you want to fine tune your rig. I can always use a discerning ear for my rig too.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2021, 03:11:56 PM »
Remember, we have the normal ERIN net tomorrow (Tues Jan 12th) night at 1900 hrs.

If you would like, I am free today between noon and 1500 hrs if you want to fine tune your rig. I can always use a discerning ear for my rig too.

Ain't that always the way. I read you post at 1510 hrs. :facepalm: I'll do my best to be on for the net tomorrow night.  :popcorn: