Communications > Radio

HAM

(1/2) > >>

thekiltedpatriot:
Hey guys,

Just passed my HAM Technician Exam and will now start on the General and eventually Extra.  It'll take 10-14 days to get on data base, so if I can acquire some gear between now and then, I'll be transmitting.  Anyone else running amateur radio?

~KP

NOLA556:
dude, can you find used equipment for cheap? that's the only reason I've just settled on CB instead of HAM is because of the price of equipment.

thekiltedpatriot:

--- Quote from: NOLA556 on October 15, 2011, 08:21:22 PM ---dude, can you find used equipment for cheap? that's the only reason I've just settled on CB instead of HAM is because of the price of equipment.

--- End quote ---

If you know what to look for, YES.  Contact your local HAM club; they have pretty regular swap meets.  Also, search ebay, but that requires some knowledge of what you're looking at.

Remember, CB is only good for 10-20 miles unless you run illegal amplifiers....them maybe 50 or so miles.  A properly set up HAM base station can talk around the world with enough power at the right frequency.  I'll be running both, but if I had to choose, I'd go HAM.

Skippy00004:
Hard
As a
Motherfucker

goodnightChesty1775:
i have heard that HAMs use 'trasmitters' or 'relay stations' i forgot the actual terminology but they are towers that push the signal. is the correct? and if those go out arent you pretty much SOL? 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version