Author Topic: ERIN/UP Net Scheduled for Sunday March 17, 2019  (Read 938 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
ERIN/UP Net Scheduled for Sunday March 17, 2019
« on: March 05, 2019, 09:56:03 AM »
This is a heads on an upcoming ERIN/UP Net. - There will be a Net March 17, 2019, PACE to follow as we get closer to that date and I can look at propagation predictions.

With the clocks springing ahead one-hour on March 10, 2019 Zulu/UTC time will be four-hours Vs. the five today. Looking at propagation predictions for March 17th, 2000 -2100 hrs. eastern, 40-meters looks like the best band to be used that night at that time. 

Now is the time to get up those antenna's that are laying in the corner of your radio shack. If you are using a dipole antenna orient them so the lobes go north & south as best as you can.

Between now and then, if you want to try out your radio, antenna, or just want to connect and rag chew, just drop me an email or text and we will set up a mutually agreed upon time and frequency to QSO.

Looking at my crystal ball I see that there will be a lot of participation this net. I have put together this preliminary Net agenda.

> Early check-in starts 15-minutes before the net begins
> Net starts, last minute check-ins
> A short report on your AO,
   - Traffic to pass along to other ERIN/UP members
   - Weather report
   - Local Political issues that could affect the rest of the region if any
   - How you/your family are doing. Do you need any assistance from the group
> Once we have gone around the group reporting on the above, a discussion will ensue on a
   prepping
   subject which I am taking suggestions for now. Speak up now or I will pick one ;-)
> Once that topic had been discussed the Net will be open for any closing comments
> Close the net.

This will be an open Net, so invite like-minded friends and recitatives. Estimated length of time 30-60 minutes.

If you do not have a General or higher FCC license you can still participate by RXing (Receiving)/monitoring the broadcast. 

73 & God Bless folks,
JohnyMac KC1FWU

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline patriotman

• Committed prepper
  • Find me on Freezoxee - patriotman
Re: ERIN/UP Net Scheduled for Sunday March 17, 2019
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 11:04:47 AM »
I will hopefully be back home from your AO by that time so I will try to monitor on my shortwave.
Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Psalm 144:1-2

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 04:35:33 PM »
   I'll plan on participating.

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 06:02:50 PM »
I was advised by a relative that I can have a radio from them that will monitor ham freq.  I will try to get it and see if I can listen in.  This will be interesting.  What number/channel/frequency do I look for?

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 07:16:06 PM »
7 MHz to 7.3 MHz
most ham band scanners have the 40m band pre programmed.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 07:17:41 PM by Kbop »

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 08:39:51 PM »
So its no go on my end?

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline bennington.camper

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 12:13:55 PM »
Not sure I'll have anything to contribute, but I am trying to make this one.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 08:34:00 AM »
Awesome!

When I post the P.A.C.E. for the net I will also post the SW frequency for you folks with a SW RXing radio. I will state though, if it is NOT a SSB (Single Side band) equipped SW radio you will only hear one side of the conversation.

As you can see in this diagram, AM radio you hear both sides of the modulation while SSB only one side.

To learn more about SSM go here.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline patriotman

• Committed prepper
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 09:21:54 AM »
Awesome!

When I post the P.A.C.E. for the net I will also post the SW frequency for you folks with a SW RXing radio. I will state though, if it is NOT a SSB (Single Side band) equipped SW radio you will only hear one side of the conversation.

As you can see in this diagram, AM radio you hear both sides of the modulation while SSB only one side.

To learn more about SSM go here.

Thanks Johnny. I have a Sony 7600GR so I should be good to go!
Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 10:00:39 AM »
Cool! Plus you will have a Icom 718 too by Sunday to use.  ;)

For all folks who will just be listening on a receiving radio here is a good formula to follow for 80-meters and higher is:

1/4 wave length of 80-meters (This will fork on 60, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12, 10, and 6-meters.

.25 x 80-meters = 20-meters or 65.6 feet.

Lets round 65.6 feet up to 66 feet.

Pick an area where you will be listening with your SW radio that's room dimensions are 17' by 17'. The reason is you are going to hang the wire around the room with each side being ~16.5 feet long, ( 4-sides, 4/66=16.5-feet) think a square with the two bitter end dropping down to your radio.

Many radios have a spot on the back of the radio that you can just put the wires into the radio. Others have a male BNC connector on the back.

If you can run the wires to the back of the radio you are golden. Spin that knob!

Now if you have a female BNC[/color] connector on the back a bit of extra work will be required. You will need a "banana wire to male BNC" adapter. Put the ends of the wire into the back of the banana connector and attache the BNC part to your radio.

If you have a different antenna connector on the back of your radio drop me a line here with a picture and i will help you to get the correct connector.

Viola! You will be receiving the net a week from this Sunday.  :dancingBanana:

Again questions, just ask them here on this thread so others can learn.  ;)

Offline patriotman

• Committed prepper
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 11:01:47 AM »
Cool! Plus you will have a Icom 718 too by Sunday to use.  ;)

LOL forgot about that :D This is super useful.

We are talking a loop antenna, correct?

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 01:08:30 PM »
Yes in essence but in reality it is a ground plane receiving only antenna. You can not TX with it only RX. No worries, we will build one when you are here.

Offline patriotman

• Committed prepper
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 01:41:21 PM »
Yes in essence but in reality it is a ground plane receiving only antenna. You can not TX with it only RX. No worries, we will build one when you are here.

Oh I remember that from NCS Adv RTO course. It will be similar to that, correct?

Yay, fun projects!

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 10:31:16 PM »
Yes, it will be part of NCScouts. Remember when he did a square with a single strand wire 16x16x16x16?

Offline patriotman

• Committed prepper
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2019, 07:19:09 AM »
Yes, it will be part of NCScouts. Remember when he did a square with a single strand wire 16x16x16x16?

Yup, I sure do.