Author Topic: Encrypted radios  (Read 702 times)

Offline PrepareSmarter

• Prepper Apprentice
Encrypted radios
« on: September 04, 2019, 09:23:50 PM »
Whereas it is legal to discuss, program, and own encrypted radios in the United States, let's discuss what hardware is out there and what luck we have had with programming it.
Disclaimer: I am not condoning or suggesting that anyone should transmit an encrypted radio signal on the HAM bands. Please don't waste time discussing the legality of encryption.

Hardware already researched
The M/A Com, EF Johnson, and Motorola XTS radios, are available with 40 bit DES and 256 bit AES hardware encryption, but finding the software and Key Variable Loader equipment was impossible without spending a small fortune.
The older Motorola XTS radios feature a 40 bit encryption called ADP (Advanced Digital Privacy) which is programmable with only the CPS (customer programming software.) You only have to make sure you get a CPS as new or newer than the firmware version on the radio.

Has anyone found a different system that works? Chinese radios?

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
Re: Encrypted radios
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 09:46:54 PM »
I've never bothered to look at encrypted radios, for the reason you mentioned. I do have the capability on several of my radios to Scramble the audio. I've never set them up to use it for the same reason. I think that I'd be more inclined to use PSK31 or some other of the digital modes because all I need is a computer. The signal would be almost undetectable because the receiving station would have to be all set up and waiting on the correct frequency and correct digital mode for my transmission and I would keep my message extremely brief.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 09:54:43 PM »
I'd suggest Motorola i355 cellphones which were intended for the Nextel network.  The i355 is the Hummer of cellphones, they're digital and they frequency hop, so they're very difficult to track or intercept.  Encrpytion isn't really needed, if the signal can't be intercepted.  With proper programming, the i355 acts like a portable radio, and it is possible to broadcast to specific units, or to specific groups directly, no cell network.  They have a range of 1-3 miles direct, and they can be purchased relatively cheaply.  These radios use the ISM band (900-928 MHz), and use spread spectrum technology, much like the military uses.  The phones aren't difficult to program.

Trisquare Electronics made portable radios which also used spread spectrum technology on the ISM band.  The Trisquare units can be found used, and they have a similar range to the i355.

If money is not a factor, I'd suggest Harris Unity radios.  They work very nicely and I'd say they're comparable to the Motorola APX radios. 

Personally, I've added the i355's and the Trisquare radios to my local comms cache.  I'll hand out Baofengs to neighbors, but for those times when secure comms are necessary, we'll use the i355's and Trisquares.

Seeing that this is the OP's first post, I suggest he might want to post some information in the Introductions portion of the forum.  Otherwise, fellow forum members are going to regard your posts suspiciously.

Offline PrepareSmarter

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 02:39:58 PM »
Pkveasey,
The ease of use and low cost of SDR make it simple for people to record whole bands of the radio spectrum. This is especially easy for HF traffic. Modulated but unencrypted transmissions are easily intercepted and demodulated. Additionally, having to use a phone/windows tablet running FLdigi/FLmsg is not viable for time critical field uses.

Jackalope,
ISM and amateur radio both have places. I'm specifically interested in 40 to 256 bit encrypted hardware. I saw Chinese equiptment like the DH-9800 and more interestingly Hytera PD6XX series and up radios have encryption capabilities.