Author Topic: Eclipse QSO Party 8/21/2017  (Read 1120 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Eclipse QSO Party 8/21/2017
« on: August 11, 2017, 09:57:14 AM »
There was a earlier subject posted about a fork fight that eventually ended up talking about the Eclipse to happen on August 21, 2017 between 1300 hrs and 1600 hrs eastern. Well I thought it was important to have a subject line dedicated to the eclipse. Post your experiences and pictures if you have any here.

As a side note: Amateur Radio enthusiasts across the USofA will be holding a QSO Party. Hams here on Unchainedpreppers, are you going to attend the party? If so lets coordinate a contact on 8/21/2017 as we get closer to the date. 
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
Re: Eclipse QSO Party 8/21/2017
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 08:58:45 PM »
I'll be at work, so I'll miss it.  And the way the Summer has been, it'll probably be raining anyways...

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 11:28:04 PM »
Man O' man Jackalope...That sounds negative on two parts. Work and rain  ;) Come on and don't you feel a sniffle coming on? Maybe a cough too. Don't worry about the eclipse as you will see that on the news but what about the QSO? Heck I feel the plague coming on as I type. Want any?  ;)
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 07:58:37 AM »
Here is a link to the QSO Party if you want to register.

I am going to Kopernik Observatory & Science Center later today, to part way set-up for tomorrows big event. The director of the center told me he expects 400+ people for the eclipse. I will feel a little naked being there, if you know what I mean  ;)

Offline grizz

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Lets Go Brandon
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 02:55:15 PM »
wont affect us up here and besides that, most of our state is without sunlight for a month or more every year so its no big deal
.:: We SaluteOur Veterans ::.
[IMG]http://vpnavy01.c

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 09:23:14 PM »
   Ironically, I'll be on a mountain top, replacing solar panels for a solar powered VHF repeater.  The weather is suppose to be superb.  It'll be interesting to see the effect of eclipse on the output from the panels.  Have fun Johny with the QSO party!

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 08:04:57 PM »
My faithful 13 old General and I manned a station during today's eclipse at the Kopernik Observatory & Science Center in Vestal, NY. One of the clubs I belong to have their club shack at the observatory.

We had our table set-up by 1000 hrs and made our first contact on 20 meters. All the bands were awful. Noisy does not describe it.

Eventually we moved to 40 meters where we made the rest of our contacts - All nine of them.  :(

It was like pulling hens teeth getting a contact with anybody. Many times we had someone coming in 5/9, and they would acknowledge our call but seconds later POOF! We would loose the connection.

The antenna we used was not optimal either. It was the clubs G5RV dipole and it was only strung about 10-20 feet above the ground. It ran north to south. In retrospect if we used my shack and my G5RV antenna which is up at 70 feet, I know we would of had many more contacts. With that written we were mainly there to promote the club and help out our landlord.

There were over 1,000 eclipse visitors at the observatory. They gave out 1,000 pairs of glasses within one and a half hours of opening at 1130 hrs. The glasses cost was a $5- donation to the observatory.

We answered a lot of questions about ham radio and may have perked the interest of a half a dozen eclipse gazers.

Anyway my radio partner in crime and I had a good time. He may have picked up a potential girlfriend too.  ;) She kept coming back asking him questions.  :dancingBanana:

Weather was perfect. 78 degrees, sunny with a slight breeze. Enough of a breeze to keep away the bugs. It did rain for ~3 minutes. We were protected under an array of solar panels but I still threw my shirt over the equipment which worked fine for any stray rain drops.

I didn't take one picture so I have none to share. BUT many friends did so if they share any I will post here.