Author Topic: Delta Loop Antenna  (Read 772 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Delta Loop Antenna
« on: August 27, 2017, 07:19:16 AM »
I really want to put up a 160 meter dipole antenna but just do not have the room for 500 feet of antenna wire. Of course I could use a loop I guess around the house or I could use a half wave at 245 feet...

Anyway, I ran across this Delta Loop article and I started thinking. Scary I know.  :o

Some of my thoughts are:
> Has anybody built one?
> If so was yours multi-band? I read somewhere that you can make them multi-band using a 4:1 voltage baun
    and ladder line. How long should the ladder line be? 1/4 wave length?
> Could you use a 1/2 wave length, length of wire so 245 feet vs the 500 feet needed for a full wave length.
> How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

All comments or suggested reading/articles are appreciated.
 :P
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
Re: Delta Loop Antenna
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 12:37:57 AM »
I know nothing about the radio antenna questions and can give no information.

As far as the angels on the head of a pin the answer is 9.  That is for the standard sewing straight pin on the market today.

Based on my car crash in `83 that nearly killed me (4 days in ICU, 59 in hospital first stay), the crainotomy in `10 due to a subdural abcess behind the left temple, and the last 3 blocks being driven to the hospital in full cardiac arrest in `13, I have seen them and counted them on 3 occasions.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 08:47:40 AM »
Nemo, the good Lord must have something for you to do still on this earth.

A friend was pushing me to set up Loop Antenna around the perimeter of the cabin rather than a Delta Loop - All 574 feet of illustrious 12 gauge insulated stranded wire. 
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 04:50:35 PM »
I'm with your friend regarding a loop around the cabin.  Or you could put up a Rhombic antenna, they work well too.

Offline voyaginator

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 03:34:22 PM »
May be we are not talking about the same type of antenna   ???  but for me a delta loop antenna is easy to cut the right length of wires or you just prefer to get a ready-made  https://goo.gl/rUPa5G  is above all a matter of having the space to setup the wire and with a frequency analyzer you can change the configuration, okay might not be perfect but you can decrease the required space area  :thumbsUp:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 03:37:27 PM by voyaginator »

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 02:58:54 PM »
I have the space voyaginator for a full 525+' antenna and I intend to build one.

Originally I was looking to build a Delta Loop but a ham friend was visiting the house awhile back and suggested just build a full wave antenna.

My plan is in later October (Way to busy now) to put up a 525+', 12 gauge stranded insulated wire to a ladder line center insulator. Run about 30' of 450 ohm ladder line down to a  UNADILLA W2AU 4:1 LL balun then a 50 ohm coax to my radio/tuner.

Any suggestions are always appreciated.