Author Topic: Best Back-up Transceiver  (Read 1072 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Best Back-up Transceiver
« on: January 20, 2021, 10:29:57 AM »
I am starting this thread so folks can post what 'they' think is a good value back-up transceiver. I will start out with these suggestions but first, why have a second or third transceiver.

In a nutshell, having a back-up radio is just another version of, "one is none, two is one". Obviously look for one that is complete, e.g., power cord, mic, etc. and one that has come from a non-smoker. Nicotine tar really screws with connectors in the mic and to a lesser degree with the circuit board.   

Some sellers offer additional gear with the radio which adds to the radios value to a degree. It is kind of like buying a house with a swimming pool. Some people want a pool, many do not.

Icom 718 - I have seen the range from $375- to $600-. The sweet spot is, $400- to $500- range.
Icom 735 - I have seen these that range from $225- to $350-. The sweet spot is, $250- to $300- range.
Icom 746* - I have seen these that range from $485- to $650-. The sweet spot is, $525 to $600- range.
Icom 746Pro* I have seen these that range from $550- to $750-. The sweet spot is, $600- to $700- range.
Kenwood 590s - I have seen these that ranged from $525- to $800. The sweet spot is $500- to $600- range.

* IC 746 vs. IC 746Pro

If you buy a radio online, stay with some valued classified sites like, eham.net and QRZ.com. There are others. Based on what I have heard from hams who have bought transceivers on ebay, it is a 50/50 shot. If you do buy on ebay, vet the seller and ask a lot of questions.

The best way to buy a used transceiver is, buy from a ham. A ham preferable in your or a neighboring club. The reason being is that a 1:1 transfer between local hams takes most of the risk out of the transaction. No ham wants to get a bad name as it is a small community for sure. 

Not to be morbid however, you will most likely get your best deal from the death of a ham (Silent key). Typically, a friend of the silent key or their club, will liquidate the former hams equipment. Speaking from experience here, most widows want nothing to do with their former husbands radio equipment (Yes, I am being sexist here) and are just happy it gets liquidated.

What are your favorite back-up transceivers?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 01:17:05 PM by JohnyMac »
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
Re: Best Back-up Transceiver
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 11:04:02 AM »
    Icom IC-7200, because it is weather resistant, relatively easy to use, and it's got a USB port built-in simplifying digital mode operations.  Install the carrying handles on it, and you've got a rugged radio ready to accompany you on adventures.

I'd consider some of the older solid state Kenwoods, i.e., TS-120S, TS-130s, and the TS-180 and Atlas 210's and 180's.  Older Ten-Tec gear is prized by CW operators.  I like radios from the '70's-'90s, mostly because they're moderately easy to repair and easy to operate too.  Modern radios with surface mount components can be difficult to repair without specialized tools and steady hands.

The advice regarding purchasing local is very good.  There are some swap nets held on local repeaters which can provide some good equipment.  I've bought some equipment off of Craigslist, and it worked out okay.  And you're right, you can get some great deals from ham estates.  I would definitely avoid ebay, if possible. 

All of the radios I've mentioned have been or are back-up radios at my station.  I've got several that will be passed on, once hamfests start again. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 11:07:03 AM by Jackalope »

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 07:56:13 PM »
My backup HF radio's are 2 ICOM 718's. Both have been cut loose on transmit because the 718's wouldn't operate on the WARC bands until I cut them loose. One can only be operated with headphones because I can't figure out what is wrong with the circuit to the speaker. The other one works just fine except there is a very slight distortion in the sound coming out of the speaker. I'm no going to get into Backup radios for other bands because I'm old and probably would die at the keyboard trying to list them all.

Offline cooter

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 01:44:55 PM »
I suppose my backup transceiver is an FT818, which can be powered by a solar panel/battery.  I also have an LNR MTR4B, but that is more of a tertiary.

My primary radio is an Alinco DX SR8T, which (when new) compares well with your price list.  It is a simple, yet very capable rig which can even be set up for RTTY/AFSK.  I haven't got it squared away for a straight key yet.  It might not be your choice for a primary rig, but it should be a great choice as a secondary.
Mike

Offline Kevin

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 11:10:24 AM »
I like the IC-718. I bought one in 2012/13 and it has been my primary HF rig until about a month ago when I got a 590SG. I now keep the 718 connected for digital and use the Kenwood for CW/Phone. If the 590 takes a dive, I'm still good to go with the 718 as a backup rig. I don't have any experience with the other rigs you listed.