Author Topic: Are Ham Radio's In Short Supply  (Read 908 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Are Ham Radio's In Short Supply
« on: January 08, 2021, 10:00:37 AM »
Over the past twelve months, we have witnessed shortages of many items. I am wondering if there is a shortage in ham radio equipment.

Lets keep an eye on that and report one way or the other.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline bennington.camper

• Prepper
Re: Are Ham Radio's In Short Supply
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 10:47:38 AM »
Over the past twelve months, we have witnessed shortages of many items. I am wondering if there is a shortage in ham radio equipment.

Lets keep an eye on that and report one way or the other.
No, but qualified and licensed operators are...

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 10:52:40 AM by bennington.camper »

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 04:26:34 AM »
I'm a little confused as to exactly what is needed. I don't know if handling radio traffic can be done from my home but I've got every kind of communication possible. HF from 160 meters all the way up to 6 meters. I also can cover 2 meters, 220, and 440 bands. I also have DMR capability. I'd be willing to devote a day to relay radio traffic. Right now I can copy digital things like CW, PSK, MPSK, Contestia, Hels, and a few others. I haven't tried transmitting Digital on my new radio so I won't list that as an option. If I can be of assistance from home, I'm game to give it a try. I'm located between Emporia and Petersburg.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 04:37:54 AM »
As far as I know there are new radios to be had if you've got the money to buy them. I don't see a problem yet but this latest situation could cause a shortage and or the prices could become unbearable.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 08:37:40 AM »
 :bravo:PKV Thank you.  :cheers:
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline grizz

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Lets Go Brandon
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 11:05:57 AM »
I've never owned or used these radios but 6-160 meters, 19'-524', seems like a very short distance for a radio, close enough to talk or yell to someone. Are you referring to kilometers/miles?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 12:12:00 PM by JohnyMac »
.:: We SaluteOur Veterans ::.
[IMG]http://vpnavy01.c

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 12:25:40 PM »
6-160 meters represents the 'wave length' of the signal on that frequency. So to build an antenna lets say for the 6-meters band is 6-meters long or 19.69-feet. 160-meter band is 524-feet long.

Now nobody ever uses a full wave length because in some instances it is just to long, e.g. 160-meter band. So they use a half or quarter wave length. Confusing huh?

Now if you have a tuner that electronically changes the perceived length of a piece of wire, you can go half or quarter length. Depending on the quality of your tuner you can get most if not all frequencies if you put up a 1/4 wave 160-meter (131 feet) length of wire.

Not to start an argument here but...If you put up a 131 foot dipole antenna, not a offset antenna or an end fit antenna will give you the least amount of tuning challenges.

So to make a dipole antenna divide the 131 foot long wire in two. So one leg will be 65.5-feet and the other will be the same with a nonconductive block in the middle. From the block comes down to the radio the coax or to confuse you even more, ladder line.

Here is a dipole antenna I wrote about. https://www.americanpartisan.org/2019/12/building-a-simple-affordable-high-quality-multi-band-antenna/

Clear as mud, huh?

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 02:59:44 PM »
I've never owned or used these radios but 6-160 meters, 19'-524', seems like a very short distance for a radio, close enough to talk or yell to someone. Are you referring to kilometers/miles?

160 meters is the length of the radio signal wavelength. The wire part of the antenna will usually be 1/4 wavelength or any odd multiple of a 1/4 wavelength. ie: 1/4, 3/4, 5/4, etc. Odd 1/4 waves are 50 Ohms impedance and that is what the radio wants to see for a load. With that said, a 1/2 wave dipole which is a 1/4 wave connected to the feed line hot wire and 1/4 wave connected to the feed line Shield ends up being 75 Ohms. Still close enough to 50 Ohms to be plenty effective.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 03:07:26 PM »
Johnny, my 160 meter 1/2 wave dipole is +- 130 feet on the hot leg and +- 130 feet on the Ground leg. I think your numbers fit an 80 meter 1/2 wave dipole.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 03:51:33 PM »
My post was for a 1/4 ƛ. Your antenna is correct for a 1/2 ƛ.

Many of folks do not have space or the trees needed to do a 1/2 ƛ as it would be 262-feet in length so they go with 1/4 ƛ.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2021, 10:05:33 PM »
My post was for a 1/4 ƛ. Your antenna is correct for a 1/2 ƛ.

Many of folks do not have space or the trees needed to do a 1/2 ƛ as it would be 262-feet in length so they go with 1/4 ƛ.

OK, I get it. You mentioned ladder line as part of the feed line so I'm assuming that the ladder line would act as part of the antenna.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2021, 10:28:25 PM »
Yupper.  ;)

Offline grizz

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Lets Go Brandon
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2021, 09:43:20 PM »
ok got it  :thumbsUp:

Not really  :facepalm: but thanks for trying. I can grasp it better with hands on training.
.:: We SaluteOur Veterans ::.
[IMG]http://vpnavy01.c

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2021, 08:34:53 AM »
Hey grizz, it is all voo doo.  ;) :cheers:

Offline BARTON

• Prepper Apprentice
  • COME AND TAKE IT
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2021, 04:39:29 PM »
I just purchased an Icom 2730a about 2 weeks ago from ham radio outlet and it was delivered next day and free shipping.  Not sure if this is normal, but, I have heard and am starting to see that HT's are getting hard to find this week.
GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH... STILL!!

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2021, 05:09:12 PM »
I'm not sure HT's are getting harder to find but those folks who have been playing the "I'll wait and see" game might just find that they have waited too long and now they're too late. I bought a ton of HT's over the past 5 years and programmed them and passed them out to my kids and adult grandkids. They have been told what frequencies to monitor and which one's they are allowed to talk on in case we need to contact one another when we happen to be close enough to communicate. Two of my grandkids have taken this seriously and are starting the prepare. Well, better late than never. So far, I haven't seen any kind of shortage in any kind of transceivers. That might change overnight. Two is one and one is none, so I have several Backups of everything. There is one thing that nobody seems to be thinking or talking about. How do you power the radios and recharge batteries if the power grid is shut down. Don't overlook using you automobile as a 12 volt power source and get at least one 12 volt battery and some kind of solar charger for it.

Offline patriotman

• Committed prepper
  • Find me on Freezoxee - patriotman
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2021, 06:13:11 PM »
I'm not sure HT's are getting harder to find but those folks who have been playing the "I'll wait and see" game might just find that they have waited too long and now they're too late. I bought a ton of HT's over the past 5 years and programmed them and passed them out to my kids and adult grandkids. They have been told what frequencies to monitor and which one's they are allowed to talk on in case we need to contact one another when we happen to be close enough to communicate. Two of my grandkids have taken this seriously and are starting the prepare. Well, better late than never. So far, I haven't seen any kind of shortage in any kind of transceivers. That might change overnight. Two is one and one is none, so I have several Backups of everything. There is one thing that nobody seems to be thinking or talking about. How do you power the radios and recharge batteries if the power grid is shut down. Don't overlook using you automobile as a 12 volt power source and get at least one 12 volt battery and some kind of solar charger for it.

To add to this: Johny, it may be a great idea to put together a post showing how to build a 12 volt lead acid battery power supply with powerpoles. I know I am VERY interested in that and I am sure others would be as well. Not to add to your To Do list :) perhaps when I come up in a few weeks we can add it to the list?
Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Psalm 144:1-2

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2021, 09:52:30 PM »

To add to this: Johny, it may be a great idea to put together a post showing how to build a 12 volt lead acid battery power supply with powerpoles. I know I am VERY interested in that and I am sure others would be as well. Not to add to your To Do list :) perhaps when I come up in a few weeks we can add it to the list?

See my post today, regarding powering portable radios.  Lead acid batteries can be built, are inexpensive, and are fine if you can't find anything else.  But there are better battery alternatives out there.  For long term usage, lithiums are the way to go, despite the initial high price, they can easily last a decade.  Buy them now, before TSHTF.

Offline patriotman

• Committed prepper
  • Find me on Freezoxee - patriotman
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2021, 11:05:20 PM »

See my post today, regarding powering portable radios.  Lead acid batteries can be built, are inexpensive, and are fine if you can't find anything else.  But there are better battery alternatives out there.  For long term usage, lithiums are the way to go, despite the initial high price, they can easily last a decade.  Buy them now, before TSHTF.

You are awesome! I will definitely enjoy this!
Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Psalm 144:1-2