Author Topic: Local Sheriff Radio  (Read 833 times)

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
Local Sheriff Radio
« on: November 27, 2018, 05:17:03 PM »
I don't know if I did a smart thing or a really dumb thing. I programmed a Baofeng handi-talkie with all the Local Sheriff's frequencies, Med Flight, Civil Air Patrol, Murs, FRS, GMRS, Marine, and NOAA weather frequencies. I ran into the local Sheriff at the Starbucks and had a long discussion about radios today. During the conversation, I asked him if he had the capability to use MURS, Civil Air Patrol, FRS, GMRS, and Marine frequencies. He said that he didn't. I asked him if he would like to have one that was all set up to go just in case he had a lost or injured hunter or whatever. He said he would love to have that capability. I told him that I'd go back to the house and bring him the radio, Charger, and cigarette lighter battery eliminator. Now that I've done that, I hope it is something that will be helpful in a SHTF situation and not something that will turn around and bite us Preppers in the ass during a collapse. I also gave him a printed sheet explaining all the rules and or licensing that go with all those frequencies. In our county, our Sheriff is not one of those Officious, I'm a Big Shot, types. He's a real down to earth friendly type fellow.

Offline zanedclark

• Prepper
Re: Local Sheriff Radio
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 11:41:51 AM »
I have a bit of confusion about the baofang radios.  According to the latest ARRL QST magazine the FCC has said the baofang is illegal to use.  I would have to go re-read, I skimmed the article as I don't have one, but I think it is because they are not FCC approved.

Nevertheless I think you did a good thing.

z

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 11:50:03 AM »
pk, time will tell if you did the right thing or not ;-) In all honesty though, befriending your local county Sheriff isn't a bad thing. Case in point I am helping a friend rebuild the Broome County NY RACES team. Since RACES and ARES are being rebranded to ACS (Auxiliary Citizens Service). Here is PA's program that I am trying to implement in NY.

Why NY you may ask: Well Binghamton, Johnson City, and Vestal NY has a about a 100,000 population. Being ~ 30-miles away, I want to be on the inside if the SHTF.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 11:52:33 AM by JohnyMac »
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 04:04:03 PM »
I have a bit of confusion about the baofang radios.  According to the latest ARRL QST magazine the FCC has said the baofang is illegal to use.  I would have to go re-read, I skimmed the article as I don't have one, but I think it is because they are not FCC approved.

Nevertheless I think you did a good thing.

z
The Baofeng is not illegal to buy or use. The FCC banned the retail sale of them. You don't seriously think that the thousands of people who own them would turn them in or stop using them do you. The FCC's stupid order is going to backfire when Motorola, RCA, Vertex, Harris, and all the other brands are shown to have the exact same programming capabilities. I'm waiting for the lawsuit to start. I discussed the FCC thing with the Sheriff and made the point of a car being banned because it could exceed the speed limit. As long a ANY radio is operated inside the FCC requirements, it is legal to have and to use. Type acceptance is for the sale of radios. If you build a radio, you can use it as long as you use it inside the FCC limitations. That home brew radio would not be type accepted and you couldn't offer it for retail sale. However, you could sell it to your HAM buddy down the street. Then the onus is on him to operate it within FCC limitations.

Offline zanedclark

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 01:33:49 PM »
Thanks pk.  It's still a bit of a mystery to me.  But I see they are readily available for purchase.

z