Author Topic: 2018 NEARfest  (Read 874 times)

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
2018 NEARfest
« on: April 29, 2018, 04:27:11 PM »
    For those residing in the northeast, the 2018 spring edition of the New England Amateur Radio hamfest is scheduled for May 4th and 5th.  The hamfest is the largest in New England and it takes place at the Deerfield Fairgrounds, which is southeast of Concord, NH.  There is a fall Nearfest in October at the same location.  They do allow camping for an additional charge, but no open fires.

I plan on attending and afterwards I'll probably be heading up to the Kittery Trading Post and a gun show in Biddeford, Maine in an effort to combine two of my hobbies.  Kittery Trading Post is noted for their large inventory of firearms, both new and used.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Re: 2018 NEARfest
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 10:24:34 AM »
Thank you Jackalope!

After going to the Dayton Ham Fest last year, this event in NH is on my 'bucket list' too - Just not this spring. Maybe this fall's one. Keep an eye out for a used HF radio, in good order, under $200- for me while there. I am getting tired of putting my two HF radios in the Faraday cage post each time I use them. I will just leave out the aforementioned cheap radio and if it gets fried then no foul no harm while the good stuff is in the cage.

The Kittery Trading Post is a great place to stop for a host of things with firearms just being one. I have found that their prices on used firearms tend to be a bit over valued.

Have fun this weekend!  :cheers:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 06:41:49 AM by JohnyMac »
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 09:09:30 PM »
    The fall NEARfest is usually Columbus Day weekend. Depending upon how the hamfest goes I may have a radio that might fit your needs.

I've bought a couple of used firearms from KTP and I've always gotten a reasonable deal.  In fact the last time I went to the NEARfest, I went to KTP afterwards and picked up a used AR-7 for $150.  I guess it depends upon what you're looking for too.  This time of year there are less tourists, so the store doesn't do the volume they do during the summer, so the prices may be more reasonable.  I'm looking for a Ruger Precision Rimfire Rifle, and I know I won't find one used.  There's a Cabelas just up the road which probably gives them some competition too.

My son wants to visit the Windham Weaponry Shooting Range too, so we may make that side trip and visit LL Bean up in Freeport.  It sounds like another weekend with lots of miles under the tires.  But then again it's all dependent upon the weather, maybe I'll stay home, rake the lawns and save lots of money...

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 06:58:07 AM »
Windham makes a good AR15. I was first introduced to them in 2012 when a neighbor asked me about one that was on sale locally. So I did a little research and found out they sold out to Bushmaster 6 or seven years before.

I looked the rifle over and it was a no-frills setup that was stout so I called Windham and ended up talking to a engineer that worked there. Had a great conversation and learned a bit more about the rifle and the company.

They had a booth at the Shot Show this year and found out they have a few high end AR's now in their line along with the the aforementioned one.

Sounds like you have a nice weekend planned Jackalope.

On another note: The only thing I miss from being along the coast in New England is fresh salt water fish. Deep friend cod, broiled or grilled striped bass. oysters, deep water scallops come immediately to mind.

MrsMac and I went to a fancy local restaurant near the redoubt and they had fresh deep sea scallops so I ordered them. They were good but it cost me $39- for six. LOL. Oh well....

Anyway Jackalope, don't "...maybe I'll stay home, rake the lawns and save lots of money...". Go have fun with your family while you can.  :cheers:

PS: Keep me in mind for one of your radios and or one from the ham fest.  ;)

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.