Author Topic: 160 Meters.  (Read 867 times)

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
160 Meters.
« on: December 01, 2020, 04:05:47 PM »
OK, OK, I know, 160 meter antennas are really really long. However, 160 seems to be where close in and continuous out to 400 miles seems to work really well on 160 meters. When the SHTF, we all should consider using that fairly reliable band at night. I hear people on there all the time but its not a crowded band. I don't know if its people running really high quality equipment or whether its the band, but people's audio seems to always be really good on 160.

Offline bennington.camper

• Prepper
Re: 160 Meters.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 04:15:21 PM »
OK, OK, I know, 160 meter antennas are really really long. However, 160 seems to be where close in and continuous out to 400 miles seems to work really well on 160 meters. When the SHTF, we all should consider using that fairly reliable band at night. I hear people on there all the time but its not a crowded band. I don't know if its people running really high quality equipment or whether its the band, but people's audio seems to always be really good on 160.
That is pretty much opposite of how wave theory works... Longer wavelengths go long after dark, like around the world long...
We have a weekly net on 10 meters for local club discussions and that works very well...

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 04:57:25 PM »
Yea, I know about wavelength propagation. If you try to get on 160 meters at noon, you're screwed. All you'll get is noise. As soon as the sun goes down the 160 meter radio Vampires come out and it works better than 80 and 40 meters because close in and far out seem to be about equal. I get to hear the 160 meter stations that are 40 miles away just as good as I hear the 200 mile away stations. 160 meters acts more like AM broadcast band than the higher HF bands. AM broadcast bands suck in the daytime and really reach out after dark. The FCC makes some of the AM stations reduce power after 5 or 6 PM.

Offline bennington.camper

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 05:27:22 PM »
Yea, I know about wavelength propagation. If you try to get on 160 meters at noon, you're screwed. All you'll get is noise. As soon as the sun goes down the 160 meter radio Vampires come out and it works better than 80 and 40 meters because close in and far out seem to be about equal. I get to hear the 160 meter stations that are 40 miles away just as good as I hear the 200 mile away stations. 160 meters acts more like AM broadcast band than the higher HF bands. AM broadcast bands suck in the daytime and really reach out after dark. The FCC makes some of the AM stations reduce power after 5 or 6 PM.
Close in propagation on 160m sounds like a low antenna doing NVIS mode.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Offline cooter

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 09:54:23 AM »
I've been meaning to set up a 160M antenna and give it a try.  I have a roll of wire and some coax, and enough room for a dipole.  So, no more excuses.
I just need to decide on a loop, dipole or inverted L.  Most of my work is close in on my NVIS antenna.  Sometimes I will try a dx station for fun, but I won't be able to get an antenna up high enough for a dedicated 160M dx antenna.
Mike

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 05:56:55 PM »
I've been meaning to set up a 160M antenna and give it a try.  I have a roll of wire and some coax, and enough room for a dipole.  So, no more excuses.
I just need to decide on a loop, dipole or inverted L.  Most of my work is close in on my NVIS antenna.  Sometimes I will try a dx station for fun, but I won't be able to get an antenna up high enough for a dedicated 160M dx antenna.
Mike

There are several of things to consider for 160. The higher up in the air the feedpoint is the better, a Halfwave dipole is 75 Ohms and if you use a Balun you'll lose about the same amount of signal through the balun as you would lose by not using one(I hate Baluns), If you make a full wave loop you should make it as circular as possible, and if you elect to make a full wave loop with bends then you should make it square (quad loop) with 90 degree bends at each 1/4 wave node, and finally the wire should be pretty heavy gauge because length it going to make it want to doop a lot.

Offline cooter

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2020, 07:53:56 AM »
pk;

Thanks for the info.  I've been leaning towards a loop, but I need to do more research.  I have a spool of 12ga. stranded wire.  That should be strong enough.

Mike

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2020, 09:37:03 AM »
I wrote an article on an inverted 'L' 160-meter antenna 3-years ago. Attached is article 1, If you want article 2 and 3 let me know and I will post.

As a side note, from May till October-ish I use the antenna for 40 & 80-meters around November I switch the antenna to 160-meters.

Anyway, there you go.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.