Author Topic: 13-COLONIES 2024  (Read 354 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
13-COLONIES 2024
« on: July 07, 2024, 12:22:20 PM »
If you haven't done the 13-Colonies13-radio contest yet, there is still time. The contest ends at 2359E hrs. tonight.

I usually do the 13-Colonies contest on 5w using one of my QRP radios using a backpacking antenna. This year I just wasn't in the mood and just didn't play. Well until last night.

Do to MrsMac encouraging me (Pestering) I turned on my FTDX10 radio and using my home designed and made antenna, I made QSO's with 15 of the 16 stations participating in 2 hours and 21 minutes. That included the 13 original colonies and two of the three bonus stations. The only challenge was France as they did not seem to be on the air. Granted, I made all those contacts using 100w on a top tier radio and antenna. Regardless, I take a little pride in my accomplishment.

About 15-minutes ago I made my last QSO of the contest in France. So a full sweep of the 13-Colonies and the three bonus stations. :dancingBanana:

Quick comment...I am not a big contest guy and only participate on maybe 3-4 contests a year. The one I always try to make is the 13-Colonies contest. The contest teaches perseverance, patience, try's your RX/TX setup under pressure, sportsmanship, etc. It is a good contest for the novice and expert alike,

Next year, I will revert back to a QRP emergency transceiver and backpacking antenna yet again. I also want to do the contest on CW.

73 & God Bless

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Defiant_Faith

• Prepper Apprentice
Re: 13-COLONIES 2024
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2024, 06:09:04 AM »
Glad to hear you had fun. Many in my ham radio club like to participate in 13-Colonies.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Re: 13-COLONIES 2024
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2024, 09:20:43 AM »
Defiant_Faith  :thumbsUp: :cheers:
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.